Sign in with
Your question

New Laptop Advice

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 22, 2010 11:05:00 AM

1_What is your budget?
£800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"-17". Preferably below 17" unless the answer to the next question says otherwise.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1600 x 1200 minimum

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Primarily desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not overly concerned, is 3 hours min reasonable?

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not much, low-medium if any.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Software development (MS Visual Studio, SQL Server) and Photoshop. Also remote working, which drives the screen resolution requirement.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
320gb minimum, the more the better though!

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years min

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Writer preferable but not essential.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?
UK

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
HDMI would be nice too, not sure if it's almost standard these days. I'd also consider an integrated card reader, Windows 7 and bluetooth requirements (first two essential).

Thanks! :) 

More about : laptop advice

a c 244 D Laptop
March 22, 2010 1:37:25 PM

Dell Studio 17 would be good
March 23, 2010 1:20:25 AM

as a side note this question was asked by another here on the forums and I could not successfully find any current generation laptops with a <<<< x 1200 resolution. The best I could find is the true HD 1920x1080 or the 1600x900 screens. This seems to be the standard with a few 1650x1080 and similar widescreen resolutions thrown in. This includes the dell studio 17 (1920x1080).

The last laptop I found that would support that resolution was a Dell M50 or something like that.

This is my suggestion. With a 500GB HDD upgrade. (yes they will ship to the UK) I think it might be a slight bit over your 800 budget once shipping and VAT and what not are added, but not too much over if my conversion is right.

If the XXXX x 1200 is a deal breaker the only other thing I could find is either well above your price range or refurbed and using a P4-M or a very old Dual Core. For instance this alienware that is pretty old.
March 23, 2010 7:33:24 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated. Maverick, thanks for the resolution info - based on what you've said I think my resolution requirement would just need to be as much as I can get for the money!

Our desktops at work are set to 1600 x 1200 and can't be changed...when working from home I remote control my work desktop and it displays at the same resolution on the laptop. I'm currently on 1280 x 800 which is far from ideal, so any improvement on that is going to be a bonus I think!
!