Ron

I cannot boot in safe mode.

I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in safe
mode in case it was infected with something.

When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine hangs.
I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.

I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.
--
Ron

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:8575A385-B1A9-41C3-B030-B57DD4E65098@microsoft.com,
Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I cannot boot in safe mode.
>
> I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in
> safe mode in case it was infected with something.
>
> When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine
> hangs. I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
>
> I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.

Have you tried VGA mode or the prompt option? I'd try the VGA mode first.
It's been my experience that when there's trouble getting into safe mode and
it's hanging like that then it's often hanging at the AGP section of the
boot. (This could be isolated but it's been my experience over the number of
years I've been doing this.) I'd suggest the VGA mode or the command prompt
and skipping loading AGP.

I don't go into it but I suppose you can look at the pretty picture here:

Safe Mode :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

Not that that will do a lot of good, but hey, it's a nice picture. <g>

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Ron

I tried VGA mode. It apparently booted since I could use the keyboard to
shutdown, HOWEVER, there was no display on screen. I tried to reboot with
command prompt. The results were the same as my original problem, It wouldn't
progress past the agp driver.
--
Ron

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:8575A385-B1A9-41C3-B030-B57DD4E65098@microsoft.com,
> Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I cannot boot in safe mode.
> >
> > I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in
> > safe mode in case it was infected with something.
> >
> > When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine
> > hangs. I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
> >
> > I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.
>
> Have you tried VGA mode or the prompt option? I'd try the VGA mode first.
> It's been my experience that when there's trouble getting into safe mode and
> it's hanging like that then it's often hanging at the AGP section of the
> boot. (This could be isolated but it's been my experience over the number of
> years I've been doing this.) I'd suggest the VGA mode or the command prompt
> and skipping loading AGP.
>
> I don't go into it but I suppose you can look at the pretty picture here:
>
> Safe Mode :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html
>
> Not that that will do a lot of good, but hey, it's a nice picture. <g>
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:4689F20F-8F61-4BB4-82F4-6E77356D32B1@microsoft.com,
Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I tried VGA mode. It apparently booted since I could use the keyboard
> to shutdown, HOWEVER, there was no display on screen. I tried to
> reboot with command prompt. The results were the same as my original
> problem, It wouldn't progress past the agp driver.
>
>> In news:8575A385-B1A9-41C3-B030-B57DD4E65098@microsoft.com,
>> Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> I cannot boot in safe mode.
>>>
>>> I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in
>>> safe mode in case it was infected with something.
>>>
>>> When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine
>>> hangs. I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
>>>
>>> I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.
>>
>> Have you tried VGA mode or the prompt option? I'd try the VGA mode
>> first. It's been my experience that when there's trouble getting
>> into safe mode and it's hanging like that then it's often hanging at
>> the AGP section of the boot. (This could be isolated but it's been
>> my experience over the number of years I've been doing this.) I'd
>> suggest the VGA mode or the command prompt and skipping loading AGP.
>>
>> I don't go into it but I suppose you can look at the pretty picture
>> here:
>>
>> Safe Mode :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html
>>
>> Not that that will do a lot of good, but hey, it's a nice picture.
>> <g>
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will
>> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

It is likely that you'll need a repair install (not a reformat) to get back
into the OS completely and rid yourself of this problem then.

Repair Installation of XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes