Can't boot in safe mode

I cannot boot in safe mode.

I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in safe
mode in case it was infected with something.

When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine hangs.
I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.

I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.
--
Ron
3 answers Last reply

    In news:8575A385-B1A9-41C3-B030-B57DD4E65098@microsoft.com,
    Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I cannot boot in safe mode.
    >
    > I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in
    > safe mode in case it was infected with something.
    >
    > When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine
    > hangs. I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
    >
    > I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.

    Have you tried VGA mode or the prompt option? I'd try the VGA mode first.
    It's been my experience that when there's trouble getting into safe mode and
    it's hanging like that then it's often hanging at the AGP section of the
    boot. (This could be isolated but it's been my experience over the number of
    years I've been doing this.) I'd suggest the VGA mode or the command prompt
    and skipping loading AGP.

    I don't go into it but I suppose you can look at the pretty picture here:

    Safe Mode :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

    Not that that will do a lot of good, but hey, it's a nice picture. <g>

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    I tried VGA mode. It apparently booted since I could use the keyboard to
    shutdown, HOWEVER, there was no display on screen. I tried to reboot with
    command prompt. The results were the same as my original problem, It wouldn't
    progress past the agp driver.
    --
    Ron

    In news:4689F20F-8F61-4BB4-82F4-6E77356D32B1@microsoft.com,
    Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I tried VGA mode. It apparently booted since I could use the keyboard
    > to shutdown, HOWEVER, there was no display on screen. I tried to
    > reboot with command prompt. The results were the same as my original
    > problem, It wouldn't progress past the agp driver.
    >
    >> In news:8575A385-B1A9-41C3-B030-B57DD4E65098@microsoft.com,
    >> Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >>> I cannot boot in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> I was having a problem with MS antispyware. I was going to run it in
    >>> safe mode in case it was infected with something.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to boot in safe mode, after the drivers load the machine
    >>> hangs. I've waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
    >>>
    >>> I am running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with MSXP sp2.
    >>
    >> Have you tried VGA mode or the prompt option? I'd try the VGA mode
    >> first. It's been my experience that when there's trouble getting
    >> into safe mode and it's hanging like that then it's often hanging at
    >> the AGP section of the boot. (This could be isolated but it's been
    >> my experience over the number of years I've been doing this.) I'd
    >> suggest the VGA mode or the command prompt and skipping loading AGP.
    >>
    >> I don't go into it but I suppose you can look at the pretty picture
    >> here:
    >>
    >> Safe Mode :
    >> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html
    >>
    >> Not that that will do a lot of good, but hey, it's a nice picture.
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
    >> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
    >> will
    >> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
    >> all."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

    It is likely that you'll need a repair install (not a reformat) to get back
    into the OS completely and rid yourself of this problem then.

    Repair Installation of XP :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes