Display problems

dragonlordwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have a ViewSonic VG2230wm and of late, when I power on, there is a slightly audible high pitch sound originating from it and it has problems powering on, with the power indicator going off shortly after pressing it. The sound starts once the video appears on the screen after much playing with the power switch to get it to turn on.

I previously used Google to try to identify problems like this, but have not found one that exactly fits the symptoms. Thus I do not know if the problem is originating from a faulty inverter transformer or from capacitors or another component. I've not pulled it apart as yet to determine what could be the problem but would like some ideas what could be the issue with it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
DW

Solution
From my perspective, it sounds like it could be a transformer on its way out. I'd start there and work your way towards the capacitors.

dragonlordwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I will know for sure soon.... It finally didn't come on at all.... but instead of repairing it myself. I decided to take it in for repair.... I've never repaired a monitor myself so I use this to learn from. I have another one, I put down some time ago and I guess what I learn from what they repaired there, to be a starting point on repairing them myself.

dragonlordwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
According to the technician, a faulty IC as well as some capacitors. It working now since repaired... the Caps I suspected but thought it would be an inverter transformer but it turns out not to be the case with the inverter.

dragonlordwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

It was the capacitors and an IC according to the technician.