Hi,
I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having some
problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost my CD.
I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be installing it on
the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would have to buy a new
operating system. Is that true> Is there any way I can get a replacement
without paying again? Thanks for your help
--
Colin

Malke

Colinm85 wrote:

> Hi,
> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having
> some
> problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost
> my CD. I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be
> installing it on the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would
> have to buy a new operating system. Is that true> Is there any way I
> can get a replacement without paying again? Thanks for your help

You would either have to get the replacement from Dell (press hard and
they may comply) or yes, buy a retail copy yourself.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

You'll have to resolve your issue with Dell.
Microsoft does not replace Dell OEM CDs.

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

Welcome to Dell Community Forums
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

=?Utf-8?B?Q29saW5tODU=?= wrote:

> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having some
> problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost my CD.
> I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be installing it on
> the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would have to buy a new
> operating system. Is that true> Is there any way I can get a replacement
> without paying again? Thanks for your help

I bought a lawn mower to cut my grass. But I didnt take care of it or
lock it up in my shed and it got stolen. Who can I contact to give me a
new lawn mower for free? After all, I paid for it once. Why should I
have to pay for it again?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Colinm85 wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having
> some problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I
> have lost my CD. I have the Product Key from the original install,
> and I'd be installing it on the same computer. Dell is telling me
> that I would have to buy a new operating system. Is that true> Is
> there any way I can get a replacement without paying again? Thanks
> for your help

Borrow and burn a copy from a friend's Dell CD. It is the Product Key
that matters, not the CD.

--
Peace!
Kurt

kurttrail wrote:
> Colinm85 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having
>> some problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I
>> have lost my CD. I have the Product Key from the original install,
>> and I'd be installing it on the same computer. Dell is telling me
>> that I would have to buy a new operating system. Is that true> Is
>> there any way I can get a replacement without paying again? Thanks
>> for your help
>
> Borrow and burn a copy from a friend's Dell CD. It is the Product Key
> that matters, not the CD.

Well the CD does matter between Home and Pro. If your PK is a Dell XP
Pro key, then it won't work with a Dell Home CD, and vise versa.

So make sure you borrow the same type of Dell CD as your PK.

--

Plato wrote:
> =?Utf-8?B?Q29saW5tODU=?= wrote:
>>
>> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am
>> having some problems. I would like to reinstall Windows.
>> Unfortunately I have lost my CD. I have the Product Key from the
>> original install, and I'd be installing it on the same computer.
>> Dell is telling me that I would have to buy a new operating system.
>> Is that true> Is there any way I can get a replacement without
>> paying again? Thanks for your help
>
> I bought a lawn mower to cut my grass. But I didnt take care of it or
> lock it up in my shed and it got stolen. Who can I contact to give me
> a new lawn mower for free? After all, I paid for it once. Why should I
> have to pay for it again?

Well if it cost more than you insurance deductible, you can get partial
reimbursement.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 02:20 pm, Colinm85 had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Hi,
> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having
> some
> problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost my
> CD. I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be
> installing it on the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would have
> to buy a new operating system. Is that true> Is there any way I can get a
> replacement without paying again? Thanks for your help

Linux is a great replacement and usually you can get a distro for free.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> 99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!

Where do you get that info?
Same place where you get that a motherboard defines a new computer?

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the person that's doing it."

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> 99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!

ROFL! This from someone that has yet he uses a computer for anything
other than to post to MS Newsgroups!

--

Plato wrote:
> =?Utf-8?B?Q29saW5tODU=?= wrote:
>
>> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having some
>>problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost my CD.
>>I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be installing it on
>>the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would have to buy a new
>>operating system. Is that true> Is there any way I can get a replacement
>>without paying again? Thanks for your help
>

> I bought a lawn mower to cut my grass. But I didnt take care of it or
> lock it up in my shed and it got stolen. Who can I contact to give me a
> new lawn mower for free? After all, I paid for it once. Why should I
> have to pay for it again?

What does the EULA for the lawnmower say? Is it a "Full Retail", an
"Upgrade", or an "OEM" lawnmower? Did you pay for a "License" to use the
lawnmower or for the actual lawnmower itself?

Steve

In article <e9vs58PrFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com says...
> 99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!

Carey - you just lost my respect over that. I had tried to not look at
you as Kurt does, but with that comment you show just how ignorant you
really are.

Linux, Fedora Core 3 and Core 4 are even more than XP is and once the
hardware support is near what Windows has, there will be little to hold
people to XP or any windows OS, even in a business, except for servers,
the desktop is easy to replace with Linux.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

But don't overlook -rwxrw-r-- deliberate attempt to cause problems to
unsuspecting users without up to date Windows.
-rwxrw-r-- is one of several needing to gain attention by the little line at
the beginning of his post.
It serves no useful purpose but to harass unsuspecting users.
-rwxrw-r-- clearly is a very poor representative of the Linux community.
Perhaps that is what Carey saw in his post?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> But don't overlook -rwxrw-r-- deliberate attempt to cause problems to
> unsuspecting users without up to date Windows.
> -rwxrw-r-- is one of several needing to gain attention by the little
> line at the beginning of his post.
> It serves no useful purpose but to harass unsuspecting users.
> -rwxrw-r-- clearly is a very poor representative of the Linux
> community. Perhaps that is what Carey saw in his post?

LOL! Figures you'd try to BS for Carey. The Second Worst MVP sticking
up for THE Worst MVP!

But I suspect that you are just too comfortable at being second rate at
everything you do, for better or for worse.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

If that is all you see in my post, your blinders are on tighter than usual.
Or perhaps this yet another display of your inability to communicate without
attacking others.

--

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> If that is all you see in my post, your blinders are on tighter than
> usual. Or perhaps this yet another display of your inability to
> communicate without attacking others.

LOL! Do you feel attacked by my opinion of you? If so, then see a
shrink as that would be your problem, not mine.

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:%236dlHkRrFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> LOL! Figures you'd try to BS for Carey. The Second Worst MVP
>> sticking up for THE Worst MVP!
>>
>> But I suspect that you are just too comfortable at being second rate
>> at everything you do, for better or for worse.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Speaking of problems! ROFL! Your action of changing my words speaks
volumes about where you are coming from! I love how you go out of your
way to do it, instead of snipping the entire sig.

You are like a little girl whose boyfriend broke up with her, and now
she is cutting him out of all the pictures of them together!

But I know you really love me, deep, deep, deep down in the recesses of
your heart!

XXXOOO ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 06:07 pm, Carey Frisch
[MVP] had this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> 99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!

HAHA, very funny Carey. In your dreams man. In your dreams.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 29 August 2005 06:22 pm, Leythos had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> In article <e9vs58PrFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com says...
>> 99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!
>
> Carey - you just lost my respect over that. I had tried to not look at
> you as Kurt does, but with that comment you show just how ignorant you
> really are.
>
> Linux, Fedora Core 3 and Core 4 are even more than XP is and once the
> hardware support is near what Windows has, there will be little to hold
> people to XP or any windows OS, even in a business, except for servers,
> the desktop is easy to replace with Linux.

Other than some of the newest systems out there, I haven't yet found a
computer that couldn't work very well with Linux, pretty much right out of
the box. It certainly is capable in breathing new life in an aging
computer, so that the end user can finally have a stable and secure working
environment that Windoze has been unable to provide.

--

kurttrail wrote:

> > I bought a lawn mower to cut my grass. But I didnt take care of it or
> > lock it up in my shed and it got stolen. Who can I contact to give me
> > a new lawn mower for free? After all, I paid for it once. Why should I
> > have to pay for it again?
>
> Well if it cost more than you insurance deductible, you can get partial
> reimbursement.

My general Lawnmower rule. "never pay more than $100 bucks for mower"
The last one I got is made by Electrolux, yep, the vacuum cleaner
people. 4 HP, works perfectly. There was this weird "safety" feature on
it tho, where it was "throttled back" to run at this slow speed. But,
all you had to do was take a torx driver and make an adjustment. All pc
guys have torx drivers :)

Steve N. wrote:

> What does the EULA for the lawnmower say? Is it a "Full Retail", an
> "Upgrade", or an "OEM" lawnmower? Did you pay for a "License" to use the
> lawnmower or for the actual lawnmower itself?

The hard part was activating it before the 30 days ran out. Ever tried
to connect a mower to the Internet?

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Steve N. wrote:
>>
>> What does the EULA for the lawnmower say? Is it a "Full Retail", an
>> "Upgrade", or an "OEM" lawnmower? Did you pay for a "License" to use the
>> lawnmower or for the actual lawnmower itself?
>
> The hard part was activating it before the 30 days ran out. Ever tried
> to connect a mower to the Internet?

Be very careful how you set the height too. Now all my icons are cut off at
the top.

'Carey Frisch [MVP Wrote:
> ']99.9% of Linux users wish they installed Windows XP!
*WHAT!! when u got this?
i think this 99.9% is how many windows pcs having problems because of
virus/trojan/spys""t or weakness of the system
i paid alot for 30 lic of windows xp and 5 office 2003 for my cybercafe
after load of problems i just removed windows and installed the free
linux suse www.suse.com on all my pcs and used the free openoffice.org
how come you microsoft ppl live in another world!!!
i tried linux and wish i didnt knew system called windows wasted my
money and time*

--
Hossam

Colinm85 Wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a computer from Dell a couple of years ago, and am having
> some
> problems. I would like to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately I have lost
> my CD.
> I have the Product Key from the original install, and I'd be installing
> it on
> the same computer. Dell is telling me that I would have to buy a new
> operating system. Is that true Is there any way I can get a
> replacement
> without paying again? Thanks for your help
> --
> Colin
and yes, you'll have to buy another CD cause you agreed with the EULA
if yiu will, give linux a chance and download suse 9.3 its free, easier
than windows no cd key
and SURE more stable as its based on linux plus you can run most
windows applications/games using program called WINE www.winehq.com
i am not getting any money by telling you about better os but microsoft
getting your mony by telling you bla bla, as above!

--
Hossam

You've been talking far too much with Socrates Plato. Colinm85, copy an
alike CD from someone and use your product key.

- Winux P