xp boot problems

August 29, 2005 6:28:02 PM

Hi all
when my pc is running i can turn off/reboot with no problems, however if it
has been switched off eg. over night or for the main part of the day, it will
not boot first time. all lights on the front (power/cd drives etc) light up,
the post beeb returns a faint click,all system fans run, psu fan and graphics
card fan, when the processor light goes out on the front (monitor is on) i
reboot. this time the post beeb sounds and it starts to load, memory test,
drive detection etc. the start up choices are displayed safe mode, last known
good, normal etc. none of which get past this screen choice. it can reboot
itself like this for ages. eventually when patience runs out i turn off the
machine and start again, with the same result. then for no reason at all the
machine will start up like it should and all is well. nothing listed in event
viewer, chkdsk is clear,device manager shows no conflicts .this problem
occurs with no software installed.and with one or both hard drives ,
motherboard drivers, graphics driver are upto date, no bios update available.
i am using xp pro with sp2 included on disc and updates applied,anyone any
ideas.

micro ATX motherboard MS6367
AMD Athlon XP1700+ 1.4GHz
1.00 Ram
hard drives: Samsung SV4002H
Seagate ST320082A
CD-RW: HL-DT-ST GCE-8240B
Toshiba dvd-rom SD-M1612

More about : boot problems

August 30, 2005 3:44:01 AM

"nij" <nij@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> when my pc is running i can turn off/reboot with no problems, however if
> it
> has been switched off eg. over night or for the main part of the day, it
> will
> not boot first time. all lights on the front (power/cd drives etc) light
> up,
> the post beeb returns a faint click,all system fans run, psu fan and
> graphics
> card fan, when the processor light goes out on the front (monitor is on) i
> reboot. this time the post beeb sounds and it starts to load, memory test,
> drive detection etc. the start up choices are displayed safe mode, last
> known
> good, normal etc. none of which get past this screen choice. it can reboot
> itself like this for ages. eventually when patience runs out i turn off
> the
> machine and start again, with the same result. then for no reason at all
> the
> machine will start up like it should and all is well. nothing listed in
> event
> viewer, chkdsk is clear,device manager shows no conflicts .this problem
> occurs with no software installed.and with one or both hard drives ,
> motherboard drivers, graphics driver are upto date, no bios update
> available.
> i am using xp pro with sp2 included on disc and updates applied,anyone
> any
> ideas.
>
> micro ATX motherboard MS6367
> AMD Athlon XP1700+ 1.4GHz
> 1.00 Ram
> hard drives: Samsung SV4002H
> Seagate ST320082A
> CD-RW: HL-DT-ST GCE-8240B
> Toshiba dvd-rom SD-M1612

What wattage power supply are you using?

Chas
August 30, 2005 9:05:32 AM

nij wrote:

> PSU: FSP Group Inc.
> Model No. FSP250-60GTV(PF)
> Max Output Power 250W

Not powerful enough. Replace it with a 400 or 450W supply. Spend a
little more and get a good quality one.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for info. are there any makes to avoid

"Malke" wrote:

> nij wrote:
>
> > PSU: FSP Group Inc.
> > Model No. FSP250-60GTV(PF)
> > Max Output Power 250W
> >
> Not powerful enough. Replace it with a 400 or 450W supply. Spend a
> little more and get a good quality one.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 30, 2005 11:10:46 AM

nij wrote:

> Thanks for info. are there any makes to avoid
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> nij wrote:
>>
>> > PSU: FSP Group Inc.
>> > Model No. FSP250-60GTV(PF)
>> > Max Output Power 250W
>> >
>> Not powerful enough. Replace it with a 400 or 450W supply. Spend a
>> little more and get a good quality one.

There are a lot of brands so it is easier to tell you some good names
rather than bad ones:

Enermax, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Vantec. There are
others. When you go to buy one, feel the weight of the cheapie psu. Now
pick up a quality psu and feel how much heavier it is. Depending on
where you are buying the psu, the people at the store may have some
good input for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 12:09:37 PM

Ta very much. will check them out

"Malke" wrote:

> nij wrote:
>
> > Thanks for info. are there any makes to avoid

> >> Not powerful enough. Replace it with a 400 or 450W supply. Spend a
> >> little more and get a good quality one.
>
> There are a lot of brands so it is easier to tell you some good names
> rather than bad ones:
>
> Enermax, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Vantec. There are
> others. When you go to buy one, feel the weight of the cheapie psu. Now
> pick up a quality psu and feel how much heavier it is. Depending on
> where you are buying the psu, the people at the store may have some
> good input for you.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:59:22 AM

Further troubleshooting revealed that the second memory slot on the
motherboard was not working. changed the motherboard all fine now.

!