Explorer.exe disk/cpu drain

I have at least 5 computers where explorer.exe runs almost all the time.
Usually it takes up between 20-50% CPU and a lot of disk activity. For
example, just for today (8 hrs worth), the security event log is more than
25MB. All of these events say that explorer.exe is failing to access
something (event 560). Any ideas what is causing explorer.exe to do this?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9FAFECEB-DFC6-4543-B323-9F9ADCD8EB3E@microsoft.com,
usurf@news.postalias <usurf@news.postalias> hunted and pecked:
> I have at least 5 computers where explorer.exe runs almost all the time.
> Usually it takes up between 20-50% CPU and a lot of disk activity. For
> example, just for today (8 hrs worth), the security event log is more than
> 25MB. All of these events say that explorer.exe is failing to access
> something (event 560). Any ideas what is causing explorer.exe to do this?

Hello,

I have performed some research based on the event ID 560, it seems to be a
security related issue. If you click the event, you may found the
explanation: An object was successfully granted a handle and the listed
accesses were granted. This message corresponds to a Security 567 message,
which indicates that an object was accessed, and to a Security 562 message,
which indicates that the handle of the object was successfully closed.
Associated messages have the same Handle ID number.

And I found some articles I think may be helpful:

822786 Event ID 560 Message Is Recorded in the Security Log
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822786

841001 Event IDs 560 and 562 appear many times in the security event log
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=841001

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu