problem: wireless MN-500 connected, but not connected

Hi, I am not new to computers, however I am new to networking. I have
managed to setup a home wireless network with internet and printer/file
sharing capabilities about four times previously. Here is my setup:

Windows 2000 Pro with MN-500 wireless base station software. The connection
from the gateway/router is wired.

Windows XP Pro with Belkin USB wireless adapter.

I reinstalled windows xp and now have to connect it back up to the home
network. Here is my problem. I get a shared internet connection, no problem,
but I can not access the MSHOME network. It is not just files and printers,
but I cannot access the MSHOME network at all, even though I have a shared
internet connection. It tells me though that I am connected to it. Every now
and then I will get it working correctly and do not know how I did it and
then after some time passes it will change. I dont know if the configuration
changes or what, but the icons in the network connections changes. I have
checked the following things already:

Both computers belong to the same workgroup, MSHOME.
Both computers are using the same channel.
The WEP security key is accurate.
I can access the internet from both computers.
The Base Management Utility (from going to http:// 192.168.2.1) detects
that my computer is connected to the network.
I have disabled my antivirus and firewall software along with the
windows firewall.
I have tried rebooting.
I have installed the driver, USB adapter, and software included in, I
think, every possible configuration.

Please help me. If more info is needed just let me know. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about problem wireless connected connected

    Ok, It was Norton's firewall. But how do I configure Norton now to permit
    traffic for my network? I will make a new post for this.

    Andrew

    "Andrew Smith" <jim@ascnetsolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am not new to computers, however I am new to networking. I have
    > managed to setup a home wireless network with internet and printer/file
    > sharing capabilities about four times previously. Here is my setup:
    >
    > Windows 2000 Pro with MN-500 wireless base station software. The
    connection
    > from the gateway/router is wired.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro with Belkin USB wireless adapter.
    >
    > I reinstalled windows xp and now have to connect it back up to the home
    > network. Here is my problem. I get a shared internet connection, no
    problem,
    > but I can not access the MSHOME network. It is not just files and
    printers,
    > but I cannot access the MSHOME network at all, even though I have a shared
    > internet connection. It tells me though that I am connected to it. Every
    now
    > and then I will get it working correctly and do not know how I did it and
    > then after some time passes it will change. I dont know if the
    configuration
    > changes or what, but the icons in the network connections changes. I have
    > checked the following things already:
    >
    > Both computers belong to the same workgroup, MSHOME.
    > Both computers are using the same channel.
    > The WEP security key is accurate.
    > I can access the internet from both computers.
    > The Base Management Utility (from going to http:// 192.168.2.1)
    detects
    > that my computer is connected to the network.
    > I have disabled my antivirus and firewall software along with the
    > windows firewall.
    > I have tried rebooting.
    > I have installed the driver, USB adapter, and software included in, I
    > think, every possible configuration.
    >
    > Please help me. If more info is needed just let me know. Thanks.

    Take a look in Norton's Help section.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    > Ok, It was Norton's firewall. But how do I configure Norton now to permit
    > traffic for my network? I will make a new post for this.
    >
    > Andrew
    >

    > "Andrew Smith" <jim@ascnetsolutions.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I am not new to computers, however I am new to networking. I have
    >> managed to setup a home wireless network with internet and printer/file
    >> sharing capabilities about four times previously. Here is my setup:
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 Pro with MN-500 wireless base station software. The
    > connection
    >> from the gateway/router is wired.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro with Belkin USB wireless adapter.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled windows xp and now have to connect it back up to the home
    >> network. Here is my problem. I get a shared internet connection, no
    > problem,
    >> but I can not access the MSHOME network. It is not just files and
    > printers,
    >> but I cannot access the MSHOME network at all, even though I have a
    >> shared
    >> internet connection. It tells me though that I am connected to it. Every
    > now
    >> and then I will get it working correctly and do not know how I did it and
    >> then after some time passes it will change. I dont know if the
    > configuration
    >> changes or what, but the icons in the network connections changes. I have
    >> checked the following things already:
    >>
    >> Both computers belong to the same workgroup, MSHOME.
    >> Both computers are using the same channel.
    >> The WEP security key is accurate.
    >> I can access the internet from both computers.
    >> The Base Management Utility (from going to http:// 192.168.2.1)
    > detects
    >> that my computer is connected to the network.
    >> I have disabled my antivirus and firewall software along with the
    >> windows firewall.
    >> I have tried rebooting.
    >> I have installed the driver, USB adapter, and software included in, I
    >> think, every possible configuration.
    >>
    >> Please help me. If more info is needed just let me know. Thanks.

Routers Networking