User Accounts

?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my Administrator
account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down correctly.
How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?

What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so I
thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from being
able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be two
kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the pawn
shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    When you buy a new computer or load XP fresh and use it for the first time
    yo boot directly into the OS as you are the only user which is named
    "Administrator" .. by default, this "account" has no password. When you
    create a new profile, you usually give this "re-named" Administrator account
    .... your name, and you put a password in. Problem is ...again, by default,
    now the "Administrator" is now hidden, and still has no password , and your
    new "Owner" account has one. The Administrator is your last-chance effort
    to fix anything the other profile did wrong ... you CTRL+AL+DELETE twice,
    then hit enter to get into the Administrators realm. Someone wanting to
    break into your computer needs only to do that ... unless, you went one step
    forward and actually put a password on this account, which you can do .....
    BUT NEVER FORGET IT, because you won't be allowed in again without
    re-loading the OS.

    KenP wrote:

    > ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my Administrator
    > account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down correctly.
    > How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
    >
    > What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so I
    > thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from being
    > able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be two
    > kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the pawn
    > shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
    > password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    If someone has physical control of the computer they can read the files.
    A password on an account is not going to stop that.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "KenP" <KenP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my
    > Administrator
    > account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down
    > correctly.
    > How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
    >
    > What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so
    > thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from
    > being
    > able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be
    > two
    > kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the
    > pawn
    > shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
    > password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?

    A password is pointless for this sort of protection (though good for other
    things). A thief is after your hardware, not your data. They'll just reload
    Windows.

    --
    WH

    "" wrote:
    > "KenP" <KenP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into
    > my
    > > Administrator
    > > account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write
    > down
    > > correctly.
    > > How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
    > >
    > > What started this episode is a friend of mine had his
    > computer stolen, so
    > > thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent
    > someone from
    > > being
    > > able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There
    > appears to be
    > > two
    > > kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it
    > directly to the
    > > pawn
    > > shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a
    > user name and
    > > password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?
    >
    > A password is pointless for this sort of protection (though
    > good for other
    > things). A thief is after your hardware, not your data.
    > They'll just reload
    > Windows.
    >
    > --
    > WH

    To make your PC a non-target for thrifes get a HUGE case, so that it
    is realy heavy and is difficult to handle.

    EXAMPLE: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html
    (bottom of page)

    You may also wish to make it unique, so that it easily distingueshed
    from other computers.

    Then, if you plan on going away for a week or so for holiday, remove
    the hard drives and hide them out of sight (remember, the hardware is
    replacable, your data isnt) also set a BIOS password, set no boot
    devies in the BIOS, you may also be parinoid inof to put a GPS tracker
    in your computer so in the event that it is stolen, you can follow it
    where ever it gose, in adition to this, you may wish to anoy the
    theife by disabling the computer by removing the fuse from the PSU :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-User-Accounts-ftopict415009.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1383005

Computers Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP