Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents have
XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.

Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get it
on my parents computer?

Thanks,

Brad

Your parents need to purchase and install Microsoft Office 2003.
It comes with Microsoft Office Picture Manager which replaces the
old Photo Editor found in older versions of Microsoft Office.

What happened to Photo Editor?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP011454871033.aspx

How to Buy Office 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/standard.mspx

What's in the Office 2003 Editions?
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Brad wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
>
> At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents have
> XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.
>
> Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get it
> on my parents computer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Install a copy of Microsoft Office, version 2002 or earlier.
Microsoft's Photo Editor is one of the tools included with the older
Microsoft Office suites. It never has, nor will it likely ever be, a
component of an operating system. Nor does it come with Office 2003.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You know it is not necessary to install Photo Editor by installing office.
It has its own setup program and in fact if it is installed that way you
don't have to worry about it taking over your current settings for jpg and
gif. Installing it from Office the user may not like the result if they are
perfectly happy with the program they are currently using to view jpg and
gif. Note that if that is set by the default of installing Windows getting
it back is not such an easy endeavor becuase DDE must be reset correctly.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> Brad wrote:
> > Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
> >
> > At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents
have
> > XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.
> >
> > Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get
it
> > on my parents computer?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brad
>

> Install a copy of Microsoft Office, version 2002 or earlier.
> Microsoft's Photo Editor is one of the tools included with the older
> Microsoft Office suites. It never has, nor will it likely ever be, a
> component of an operating system. Nor does it come with Office 2003.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks to all.

Your help was perfect!

Brad

George Hester wrote:
> You know it is not necessary to install Photo Editor by installing office.
> It has its own setup program and in fact if it is installed that way you
> don't have to worry about it taking over your current settings for jpg and
> gif.

That might well work, but I really can't see anyone purchasing a copy
of Office and then installing only Photo Editor. Seems like a terrible
waste of money to me.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Right but if you put it in the way I suggest and not through the Office
installer you don't have to worry about it stealing your file associations
for supported file types. In fact it is not installed sorry about that.
You just copy the PHOTOED folder off the Office CD to C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Mcrosoft Shared and remove the Read-Only attribute that
occurs when this is done. The only trouble with this is that it may not get
registered as an OLE Server but they may not be an issue here. I tried to
check it out for sure but didn't spend much time on it.

--
George Hester