Photo Editor

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents have
XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.

Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get it
on my parents computer?

Thanks,

Brad
6 answers Last reply
More about photo editor

    Your parents need to purchase and install Microsoft Office 2003.
    It comes with Microsoft Office Picture Manager which replaces the
    old Photo Editor found in older versions of Microsoft Office.

    What happened to Photo Editor?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP011454871033.aspx

    How to Buy Office 2003
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/standard.mspx

    What's in the Office 2003 Editions?
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Brad wrote:
    > Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
    >
    > At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents have
    > XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.
    >
    > Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get it
    > on my parents computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brad

    Install a copy of Microsoft Office, version 2002 or earlier.
    Microsoft's Photo Editor is one of the tools included with the older
    Microsoft Office suites. It never has, nor will it likely ever be, a
    component of an operating system. Nor does it come with Office 2003.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You know it is not necessary to install Photo Editor by installing office.
    It has its own setup program and in fact if it is installed that way you
    don't have to worry about it taking over your current settings for jpg and
    gif. Installing it from Office the user may not like the result if they are
    perfectly happy with the program they are currently using to view jpg and
    gif. Note that if that is set by the default of installing Windows getting
    it back is not such an easy endeavor becuase DDE must be reset correctly.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    > Brad wrote:
    > > Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
    > >
    > > At work I have Microsoft Photo Editor. I also have XP Pro. My parents
    have
    > > XP Home. They don't have Photo Editor.
    > >
    > > Does Home not have Photo Editor (Photoed.exe)? If it does, how do I get
    it
    > > on my parents computer?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Brad
    >

    > Install a copy of Microsoft Office, version 2002 or earlier.
    > Microsoft's Photo Editor is one of the tools included with the older
    > Microsoft Office suites. It never has, nor will it likely ever be, a
    > component of an operating system. Nor does it come with Office 2003.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Thanks to all.

    Your help was perfect!

    Brad

    George Hester wrote:
    > You know it is not necessary to install Photo Editor by installing office.
    > It has its own setup program and in fact if it is installed that way you
    > don't have to worry about it taking over your current settings for jpg and
    > gif.

    That might well work, but I really can't see anyone purchasing a copy
    of Office and then installing only Photo Editor. Seems like a terrible
    waste of money to me.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Right but if you put it in the way I suggest and not through the Office
    installer you don't have to worry about it stealing your file associations
    for supported file types. In fact it is not installed sorry about that.
    You just copy the PHOTOED folder off the Office CD to C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Mcrosoft Shared and remove the Read-Only attribute that
    occurs when this is done. The only trouble with this is that it may not get
    registered as an OLE Server but they may not be an issue here. I tried to
    check it out for sure but didn't spend much time on it.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    > George Hester wrote:
    > > You know it is not necessary to install Photo Editor by installing
    office.
    > > It has its own setup program and in fact if it is installed that way you
    > > don't have to worry about it taking over your current settings for jpg
    and
    > > gif.
    > >

    > That might well work, but I really can't see anyone purchasing a copy
    > of Office and then installing only Photo Editor. Seems like a terrible
    > waste of money to me.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: