Cleaning Thermal Compound from CPU's

aspalmat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
Just a quick question. What do people use to clean the thermal compound off an old CPU. I'm, putting a new CPU in one of my computers, and don't want to damage the old processor(AMD), by using something to harsh on the CPU.

I was planning to use plain old rubbig alcohol to clean it. Will this damage my old CPU?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Natural alcohol or 91% isopropyl alcohol would be best. Alcohol evaporates very quickly and cuts through thermal grease like nothing. Not sure about thermal(wax) pads though.

Your alcohol is probaly 70% isopropyl (30% water). It will work, but it won't be quite as clean. Doesn't evaporate as quickly either, but that's not a big issue. Just make sure there is no voltage running to your CPU when you clean it ;').

53 69 67 6E 61 74 75 72 65 20 69 6E 20 48 65 78 21

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Acetone based nail-polish remover works very, very well. Just try to get something that is as additive free as possible. I think it cleans up a bit better than alcohol.
-Brett

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I use hot water and dishwashing detergent. The core is sealed, their's no place to get water inside. Just shake the water off after rinsing and allow to air dry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>