My friend has Windows XP on her computer. At start up she had several icons
on the desktop, however, they now have disappeared. When trying to put
shortcuts onto the desktop a message saying that the desktop and file were
the same. Can you please tell me how to get the desktop icons back. Your
help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the Desktop is full.

Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
Look around

Start | Run | Type or paste:

%allusersprofile%\Desktop

Click OK | Look around

See if there is a folder called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. See if the
shortcuts are in the folder.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E2C0EF81-6776-418B-82A8-E1F68182901C@microsoft.com,
Rita <Rita@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> My friend has Windows XP on her computer. At start up she had several
> icons on the desktop, however, they now have disappeared. When trying to
> put shortcuts onto the desktop a message saying that the desktop and file
> were the same. Can you please tell me how to get the desktop icons back.
> Your help would be much appreciated.

Try to right click on the desktop then click on Arrange icons by then click
on show desktop icons