pt

As a safety precaution, I want to be able to temporarily disconnect my WinXP
Home computer from the internet while leaving it active for other uses. My
first pass, following some Usenet advice was to create two DOS batch files:

net_off.bat
ipconfig /release
exit
and
net_on.bat
ipconfig /renew
exit

However my ISP now tells me that these don't really disconnect my computer,
but simply affect the IP address. He advised me that to do what I want, I
should go to Settings|Network Connections|Local Area Connection. Then right
click and select "Disable". Restoring would use the same process, but right
clicking and selecting "Enable".

Once again, for simplicity, I'd like to automate these steps with DOS batch
files, or some other method if there is one.

Suggestions are welcome.

--
PT

Neobyte

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002

Firstly, if you are *not* using a wireless card, then as Wes says, just
unplug your machine. It's just so crazy, it might work. If you are
using a wireless card with a physical on/off switch, that will work
too.

Otherwise, run "ipconfig /all" and find out what your wireless card is
called (such as "Wireless Network Connection" or some such) for use
below. Your batch files would be as follows:

network_on.bat

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" enabled

network_off.bat

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" disabled

replacing "Local Area Connect" with whatever your card was listed as.
Something along these lines should do the trick.

Unplug your modem. That's what I do. Takes me two seconds.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Ov8z0$OrFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
PT <xyz@xyz.com> hunted and pecked:

"PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
> As a safety precaution, I want to be able to temporarily disconnect my
> WinXP
> Home computer from the internet while leaving it active for other uses. My
> first pass, following some Usenet advice was to create two DOS batch
> files:
>
> net_off.bat
> ipconfig /release
> exit
> and
> net_on.bat
> ipconfig /renew
> exit
>
> However my ISP now tells me that these don't really disconnect my
> computer,
> but simply affect the IP address. He advised me that to do what I want, I
> should go to Settings|Network Connections|Local Area Connection. Then
> right
> click and select "Disable". Restoring would use the same process, but
> right
> clicking and selecting "Enable".
>
> Once again, for simplicity, I'd like to automate these steps with DOS
> batch
> files, or some other method if there is one.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.
>
> --
> PT

Try this.
Go to Network Connections
Right click and drag Local Area Connection to the desktop.
Right click on the icon and select Disable
Try to access the internet or mail.
Right click on the icon and select Enable.
Try to connect again.

If you use ZoneAlarm firewall, you can click on the icon and lock all
internet activity.
--
Ron Sommer

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:18:23 -0700, "PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote:

>Suggestions are welcome.

First you go to the LAN connection in Network Connections, right click
the LAN connection and select properties, check the box that says
"Show icon in notification area when connected". This puts an icon in
the system tray that you can right click to disable your connection.
Drag a shortcut of the LAN connection to the desktop, put this in your
quickstart task bar. Just left click this to enable your connection.
What this method does is allow you to enable/disable the ethernet
card; thus, blocking internet traffic. I use this method myself.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> "PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
> > As a safety precaution, I want to be able to temporarily
> disconnect my
> > WinXP
> > Home computer from the internet while leaving it active for
> other uses. My
> > first pass, following some Usenet advice was to create two
> DOS batch
> > files:
> >
> > net_off.bat
> > ipconfig /release
> > exit
> > and
> > net_on.bat
> > ipconfig /renew
> > exit
> >
> > However my ISP now tells me that these don't really
> disconnect my
> > computer,
> > but simply affect the IP address. He advised me that to do
> what I want, I
> > should go to Settings|Network Connections|Local Area
> Connection. Then
> > right
> > click and select "Disable". Restoring would use the same
> process, but
> > right
> > clicking and selecting "Enable".
> >
> > Once again, for simplicity, I'd like to automate these steps
> with DOS
> > batch
> > files, or some other method if there is one.
> >
> > Suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > --
> > PT
> >

> Try this.
> Go to Network Connections
> Right click and drag Local Area Connection to the desktop.
> Right click on the icon and select Disable
> Try to access the internet or mail.
> Right click on the icon and select Enable.
> Try to connect again.

"However my ISP now tells me that these don’t really disconnect my
computer, but simply affect the IP address."

Your ISP is correct (Can I assume that it is not AOL as they actualy
know some thing about that service they offer?). But did they not tell
you that what that set of commands dose is efectivly remove your
network adapters IP, and with out an IP, packets canot be sent or
recived, so even though you are connected, there is no way any
information can be sent or recived.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Disconnecting-Internet-ftopict415049.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1383003

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:18:23 -0700, "PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote:

>As a safety precaution, I want to be able to temporarily disconnect my WinXP
>Home computer from the internet while leaving it active for other uses.
>
>Suggestions are welcome.

That's smart, and the way to do it is to unplug the cable or turn
off the wireless card. Otherwise you're still connected.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:36:03 -0400, "TryingToHelp"
<somewhere@internet.net> wrote:

>Go to Network Connections
>Right click and drag Local Area Connection to the desktop.
>Right click on the icon and select Disable
>Try to access the internet or mail.

The fact that you can't "access the internet [sic -- do you mean the
Web?] or mail" does _not_ mean you're not connected. The problem is
that all sorts of things go on "under the hood", particularly if you
have File and Printer Sharing enabled.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Modern cyberspace is a deadly festering swamp, teeming with
dangerous programs such as "viruses," "worms," "Trojan horses,"
and "licensed Microsoft software" that can take over your
computer and render it useless. --Dave Barry

pt

I'm the original poster. Here's the situation:

1. Disconnecting the DSL modem was out of the question for logistical
reasons. I'd have to either move furniture, or learn yoga.

2. The batch files I described disconnected me from web browsing, but
permitted e-mail to get through, which was what tipped me off that I wasn't
fully disconnected.

3. The suggestion to create an icon for the Settings | Network Connections
| Local Area Network dialog box has worked perfectly - takes one second to
turn on or off. I'd suggest it for anyone who leaves his or her computer on
and connected to the modem for extended periods.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PT