programs open up when windows start

Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up automatically.
How do I stop this.
Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what this is
Thanks for any help
Sharon
5 answers Last reply
More about programs open windows start

    Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
    If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
    If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
    Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.

    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
    > automatically.
    > How do I stop this.
    > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
    > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
    > this is
    > Thanks for any help
    > Sharon

    thank you NotMe. its fine now.
    Any help with my other question?
    thanks
    sharon

    "NotMe" wrote:

    > Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
    > If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
    > If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
    > Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.
    >
    > --
    > A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    > "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
    > > automatically.
    > > How do I stop this.
    > > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
    > > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
    > > this is
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > Sharon

    PCI simple communication controller, I would guess is a modem or Network
    card.
    Do you have either installed that is not configured?

    --
    > thank you NotMe. its fine now.
    > Any help with my other question?
    > thanks
    > sharon
    >
    > "NotMe" wrote:
    >
    >> Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
    >> If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
    >> If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
    >> Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    >> "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
    >> > automatically.
    >> > How do I stop this.
    >> > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
    >> > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
    >> > this is
    >> > Thanks for any help
    >> > Sharon

    The only thing we have installed new is a ADSL router, but this has only come
    up today. We installed the router last week. We have had trouble with it
    though and we have had to re do the router. Do you think would be the problem.
    Thanks

    sharon wrote:

    > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up automatically.
    > How do I stop this.
    > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
    > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what this is
    > Thanks for any help
    > Sharon

    Fo the PCI controller question try some clean boot troubleshooting to
    see what's starting it:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User