programs open up when windows start

August 29, 2005 9:00:05 PM

Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up automatically.
How do I stop this.
Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what this is
Thanks for any help
Sharon
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:14:10 PM

Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
> automatically.
> How do I stop this.
> Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
> looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
> this is
> Thanks for any help
> Sharon
August 29, 2005 10:14:11 PM

thank you NotMe. its fine now.
Any help with my other question?
thanks
sharon

"NotMe" wrote:

> Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
> If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
> If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
> Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
> > automatically.
> > How do I stop this.
> > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
> > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
> > this is
> > Thanks for any help
> > Sharon

August 30, 2005 12:04:17 AM

PCI simple communication controller, I would guess is a modem or Network
card.
Do you have either installed that is not configured?

--
> thank you NotMe. its fine now.
> Any help with my other question?
> thanks
> sharon
>
> "NotMe" wrote:
>
>> Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
>> If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
>> If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
>> Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.
>>
>> --
>> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up
>> > automatically.
>> > How do I stop this.
>> > Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
>> > looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what
>> > this is
>> > Thanks for any help
>> > Sharon

August 30, 2005 12:04:18 AM

The only thing we have installed new is a ADSL router, but this has only come
up today. We installed the router last week. We have had trouble with it
though and we have had to re do the router. Do you think would be the problem.
Thanks

"NotMe" wrote:

> PCI simple communication controller, I would guess is a modem or Network
> card.
> Do you have either installed that is not configured?
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thank you NotMe. its fine now.
> > Any help with my other question?
> > thanks
> > sharon
> >
> > "NotMe" wrote:
> >
> >> Are they listed in Start>Programs>Startup?
> >> If so, you can just move the shortcuts elsewhere.
> >> If not, try Start>RUN>(type in) MSCONFIG
> >> Uncheck them from the list of startup programs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> >> "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

August 30, 2005 12:49:37 AM

sharon wrote:

> Hi everyone. When windows starts up, 2 of my programs open up automatically.
> How do I stop this.
> Also I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup, but also at startup,
> looks for hardware (PCI simple communication controller) not sure what this is
> Thanks for any help
> Sharon

Fo the PCI controller question try some clean boot troubleshooting to
see what's starting it:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User