Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

History of Sites Visited

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 9:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi All
I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my teenage
son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch of
numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web sites
or a list of cookies that give me a name.
Just call me a curious mother.....

More about : history sites visited

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 9:49:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The history button is located between favorites and mail on the toolbar. If
the button is not there then right click on the menu bar, select customize,
and add it. You select the number of days for it to store by going to
tools/internet options/history.


"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> Hi All
> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> teenage
> son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> of
> numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> sites
> or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> Just call me a curious mother.....
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:15:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> Hi All
> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> teenage
> son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> of
> numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> sites
> or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> Just call me a curious mother.....
>

Free viewer.
http://www.acesoft.net/index.dat%20viewer/index.dat_vie...
Related resources
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:15:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

One way would be to click on the History icon on the browser toolbar. You
can go back a month. Something better would be to install this
http://www.iambigbrother.com/

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> Hi All
> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> teenage
> son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> of
> numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> sites
> or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> Just call me a curious mother.....
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:19:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Also if you go the iambigbrother route you will have exclude it from
detection for your antivirus and spyware software if installed. Because of
its very nature most spyware software will detect it.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> Hi All
> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> teenage
> son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> of
> numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> sites
> or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> Just call me a curious mother.....
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 4:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I see it now, thank you very much!

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> The history button is located between favorites and mail on the toolbar. If
> the button is not there then right click on the menu bar, select customize,
> and add it. You select the number of days for it to store by going to
> tools/internet options/history.
>
>
> "palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All
> > I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> > teenage
> > son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> > of
> > numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> > sites
> > or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> > Just call me a curious mother.....
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I think I'm missing something.....When I go into History, it's showing me the
list for Today and Monday (yesterday). How do I get it to show me the last 5
days? When I went into Tools/Internet Options/History, it was set for 20
days, but that is the number of days to keep in history, it isn't the days
viewed...... ???
ruth

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> The history button is located between favorites and mail on the toolbar. If
> the button is not there then right click on the menu bar, select customize,
> and add it. You select the number of days for it to store by going to
> tools/internet options/history.
>
>
> "palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All
> > I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> > teenage
> > son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> > of
> > numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> > sites
> > or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> > Just call me a curious mother.....
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If the listing was cleared, it's gone. If the there were no sites
visited, nothing will be shown. Increasing the days to keep won't
populate back in time.

palmbrook wrote:

> I think I'm missing something.....When I go into History, it's showing me the
> list for Today and Monday (yesterday). How do I get it to show me the last 5
> days? When I went into Tools/Internet Options/History, it was set for 20
> days, but that is the number of days to keep in history, it isn't the days
> viewed...... ???
> ruth
>
> "Dennis Marks" wrote:
>
>
>>The history button is located between favorites and mail on the toolbar. If
>>the button is not there then right click on the menu bar, select customize,
>>and add it. You select the number of days for it to store by going to
>>tools/internet options/history.
>>
>>
>>"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>Hi All
>>>I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
>>>teenage
>>>son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
>>>of
>>>numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
>>>sites
>>>or a list of cookies that give me a name.
>>>Just call me a curious mother.....
>>>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:30:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm not sure I understand this.......
Right now my History shows the listing for today (which is Friday) and
Thursday. That's it. I was on Wednesday and Tuesday. My days to keep
history is set for 5 days. So why can't I see Wednesday's listing?

"Bob I" wrote:

> If the listing was cleared, it's gone. If the there were no sites
> visited, nothing will be shown. Increasing the days to keep won't
> populate back in time.
>
> palmbrook wrote:
>
> > I think I'm missing something.....When I go into History, it's showing me the
> > list for Today and Monday (yesterday). How do I get it to show me the last 5
> > days? When I went into Tools/Internet Options/History, it was set for 20
> > days, but that is the number of days to keep in history, it isn't the days
> > viewed...... ???
> > ruth
> >
> > "Dennis Marks" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>The history button is located between favorites and mail on the toolbar. If
> >>the button is not there then right click on the menu bar, select customize,
> >>and add it. You select the number of days for it to store by going to
> >>tools/internet options/history.
> >>
> >>
> >>"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>news:CBA02695-51EB-4EB0-A704-9EB2E8487BB1@microsoft.com...
> >>
> >>>Hi All
> >>>I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check where my
> >>>teenage
> >>>son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp files and I just see a bunch
> >>>of
> >>>numbers. I would like to see something that looks like different web
> >>>sites
> >>>or a list of cookies that give me a name.
> >>>Just call me a curious mother.....
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:46:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

palmbrook wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand this.......
> Right now my History shows the listing for today (which is Friday) and
> Thursday. That's it. I was on Wednesday and Tuesday. My days to keep
> history is set for 5 days. So why can't I see Wednesday's listing?

Did your son perhaps use the computer on wednesday/thursday?
If so, after he'd visited some site that he [for whatever reason]
wanted to keep private from his curious mother, he apparently have
enough computerskills to delete the evidence of it well enough.

>>>>"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Hi All
>>>>> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check
>>>>> where my teenage son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp
>>>>> files and I just see a bunch of numbers. I would like to see
>>>>> something that looks like different web sites or a list of
>>>>> cookies that give me a name.
>>>>> Just call me a curious mother.....

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi et al.....
I really don't think my son knows how to check past history sites and delete
them....I don't think that is the problem. Even if he did, he would have
deleted all of yesterday's noted sites, and that is usually a long list. I
can see it usually when I click the History button.
The Help area says that you should be able to check history sites for weeks
in the past. Why does my History button only show 2 days????? That is the
major question here.....
Right now it shows Today (Sunday) and Saturday. There is nothing in
Saturday now as last night I did a Window Washer, and I think that probably
deleted it. But I only do Window Washer once a week, so if History is
capable of showing the last 7 days, I would see many days of the week as the
week progresses. Somewhere there must be a setting that indicates how many
days in the past you want to see in your History. Mine is set to 2...grrr.
Does anyone know why my History is only set for the present day and
yesterday????????????

"... et al." wrote:

> palmbrook wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I understand this.......
> > Right now my History shows the listing for today (which is Friday) and
> > Thursday. That's it. I was on Wednesday and Tuesday. My days to keep
> > history is set for 5 days. So why can't I see Wednesday's listing?
>
> Did your son perhaps use the computer on wednesday/thursday?
> If so, after he'd visited some site that he [for whatever reason]
> wanted to keep private from his curious mother, he apparently have
> enough computerskills to delete the evidence of it well enough.
>
> >>>>"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>>Hi All
> >>>>> I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check
> >>>>> where my teenage son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp
> >>>>> files and I just see a bunch of numbers. I would like to see
> >>>>> something that looks like different web sites or a list of
> >>>>> cookies that give me a name.
> >>>>> Just call me a curious mother.....
>
> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:58:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

palmbrook wrote:

> Hi et al.....
> I really don't think my son knows how to check past history sites and delete
> them....I don't think that is the problem.

Ok, it was just a hypothesis.

> Even if he did, he would have
> deleted all of yesterday's noted sites, and that is usually a long list.

You mean by opening the 'Internet Options' applet [from Internet
Explorers Tools menu] and clicking the 'Clear History' button?

> I can see it usually when I click the History button.

Ok, then you'll see the history-listing in a frame to the left. This
list can be sorted in four different ways, one of which is 'by date'.
You are aware that you [or your son] can right-click on a weekday there
and choose delete? So in this case it's not an all or nothing delete as
with the 'Clear History' button.

> The Help area says that you should be able to check history sites for weeks
> in the past. Why does my History button only show 2 days????? That is the
> major question here.....
> Right now it shows Today (Sunday) and Saturday. There is nothing in
> Saturday now as last night I did a Window Washer, and I think that probably
> deleted it. But I only do Window Washer once a week, so if History is
> capable of showing the last 7 days, I would see many days of the week as the
> week progresses. Somewhere there must be a setting that indicates how many
> days in the past you want to see in your History. Mine is set to 2...grrr.
> Does anyone know why my History is only set for the present day and
> yesterday????????????

You stated above that the history-listing for one day "is usually a long
list". Now, the default setting for the size of the Temporary Internet
Files (TIF) cache is very large, but perhaps it's been lowered on that
user-acount you are using and because you surf so much two days worth of
surfing is what fits and then it gets replaced. I'm uncertain and don't
remember, since i nowadays as a browser use Firefox and not Internet
Explorer, wether things that dissapear from the TIF also dissapear from
the History-listing or not. Just another hypothesis.

If that's not it, i guess i would after having first doublechecked my
computers date so it ain't three days off (should not be the case,
especially if you haven't disabled the automated time synchronization),
change the 'Days to keep pages in history' from 5 up and down and see if
days actually kept follows as 'days set - 3' or if it remained at 2
days constant irrespective of the setting.

To verify, the registy-value changed by 'Days to keep pages in history':
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Url History]
"DaysToKeep"=dword:00000014

Where 00000014 is the hex-value that corrsponds to decimal 20, as 20
days is my current setting.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:59:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Someone with access to the PC has changed things. You use/allow the
"privacy software" to erase things. We are supposed to tell you who and
what methods were used to delete the History?!?!?!?!?!?

palmbrook wrote:

> Hi et al.....
> I really don't think my son knows how to check past history sites and delete
> them....I don't think that is the problem. Even if he did, he would have
> deleted all of yesterday's noted sites, and that is usually a long list. I
> can see it usually when I click the History button.
> The Help area says that you should be able to check history sites for weeks
> in the past. Why does my History button only show 2 days????? That is the
> major question here.....
> Right now it shows Today (Sunday) and Saturday. There is nothing in
> Saturday now as last night I did a Window Washer, and I think that probably
> deleted it. But I only do Window Washer once a week, so if History is
> capable of showing the last 7 days, I would see many days of the week as the
> week progresses. Somewhere there must be a setting that indicates how many
> days in the past you want to see in your History. Mine is set to 2...grrr.
> Does anyone know why my History is only set for the present day and
> yesterday????????????
>
> "... et al." wrote:
>
>
>>palmbrook wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I'm not sure I understand this.......
>>>Right now my History shows the listing for today (which is Friday) and
>>>Thursday. That's it. I was on Wednesday and Tuesday. My days to keep
>>>history is set for 5 days. So why can't I see Wednesday's listing?
>>
>>Did your son perhaps use the computer on wednesday/thursday?
>>If so, after he'd visited some site that he [for whatever reason]
>>wanted to keep private from his curious mother, he apparently have
>>enough computerskills to delete the evidence of it well enough.
>>
>>
>>>>>>"palmbrook" <palmbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Hi All
>>>>>>>I have Windows XP, SP2, and I was wondering how do I check
>>>>>>>where my teenage son has been surfing????? I've checked Temp
>>>>>>>files and I just see a bunch of numbers. I would like to see
>>>>>>>something that looks like different web sites or a list of
>>>>>>>cookies that give me a name.
>>>>>>> Just call me a curious mother.....
>>
>>--
>>Please followup in newsgroup.
>>E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
>>
!