Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 Drive Name?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 6, 2010 10:21:17 PM

hi Guys

need a help here

I have Installed win 7 ultimate on my D: drive which is installed perfectly with out any trouble, On my C: Drive i have Win Xp Pro Sp3.

Now when i boot my PC i got 2 options

Earlier Windows
Windows 7

So i logon to windows 7 and everything gose fine till i see the drive name. It shows as C: drive (not reading it D: )which is really makin me confuse

My question is why it is Reading it as C: instead of D:

pls help me out how can fix this

More about : win drive

a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2010 12:34:39 AM

Wndows always likes to be on the c: drive so if your dual boot machine has xp on a 100 gb drive and win 7 on a 200 gb drive, when in xp the 100 will be c: and the 200 will be d:, but when in win 7 the 200 gb drive will be c: and the 100 gb drive will be d: its just the way that windows likes it. nothing to be alarmed about.
m
l
April 8, 2010 6:34:14 AM

But i am not using 2 drives i am using only a single 500Gb hard drive that is why i am confused whts going on
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 6:48:25 AM

simonsez9 said:
But i am not using 2 drives i am using only a single 500Gb hard drive that is why i am confused whts going on

Makes no difference, partitions or drives. Windows still tends to call the boot partition C:.

What does it matter - it's just a name?
m
l
April 8, 2010 6:58:18 AM

the thing which is makin me confused is when ever i want to try install a new driver or software it said default C: and in my mind that on C: is win xp, and also pls let me know how much space should i need for win 7 with only necessary softwares no gaming and other stuff is 40gb is enough?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 7:44:46 AM

simonsez9 said:
the thing which is makin me confused is when ever i want to try install a new driver or software it said default C: and in my mind that on C: is win xp, and also pls let me know how much space should i need for win 7 with only necessary softwares no gaming and other stuff is 40gb is enough?

It's not what you think of as C: that matters - it's what Windows thinks of as C:. XP will install stuff on its C: drive and 7 on its C: drive; no need for confusion.

40GB sounds a little tight for a Windows 7 installation to my mind, but I guess it depends upon what you mean by "necessary software". As long as you have at least 20% free space you will be OK.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:13:30 AM

how much do u think space should be good for OS and Necessary software and also pls tell me that this win 7 includes DX11 or i have to download it to install it
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 1:54:48 PM

50 GB for Win 7 is more than enough if you are trying to keep it to a slim install, 40 GB would do but you may want more later. Yes dx11 comes with Win 7.
m
l
April 19, 2010 8:24:12 AM

40-50 GB is enough for Windows 7 partition.
If you think you need to increase its size then just type "Disk management" in the start bar. You can merge partitions or create new partitions using it.

Just make sure your C: has 20% space free.
m
l
!