Dell Warranty Transfer

gb

Hi, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 with TFT, then ended up selling the
system box and TFT separately on ebay.

These are new items, and I want to transfer the warranty to the new owners.
I found the url to do this (I am in the UK):
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/pub/ccare/transfer_intl?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It's easy enough to transfer the PC's warranty. However I can't find the
service tag on the TFT, so I can't transfer that. Am I just missing
something? (My eyesight is not too good, and I may not be looking in the
right place.)

Thanks

Geoff

If I'm not mistaken, the service tag for the computer covers everything that
came with it, including the monitor. Separate parts of your computer
purchase would not have separate service tags, unless they were purchased
separately.

"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 with TFT, then ended up selling the
> system box and TFT separately on ebay.
>
> These are new items, and I want to transfer the warranty to the new
> owners. I found the url to do this (I am in the UK):
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/pub/ccare/transfer_intl?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>
> It's easy enough to transfer the PC's warranty. However I can't find the
> service tag on the TFT, so I can't transfer that. Am I just missing
> something? (My eyesight is not too good, and I may not be looking in the
> right place.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

gb

"guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1099988130.92908@news...
> If I'm not mistaken, the service tag for the computer covers everything
> that came with it, including the monitor. Separate parts of your computer
> purchase would not have separate service tags, unless they were purchased
> separately.

Ahem, so how does Mr A, with the TFT, get to know the service tag of the PC
it was sold with, given that Mr B has this and I sold it to Mr B without
opening the box? I have a nasty feeling about this.

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 with TFT, then ended up selling the
>> system box and TFT separately on ebay.
>>
>> These are new items, and I want to transfer the warranty to the new
>> owners. I found the url to do this (I am in the UK):
>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/pub/ccare/transfer_intl?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> It's easy enough to transfer the PC's warranty. However I can't find the
>> service tag on the TFT, so I can't transfer that. Am I just missing
>> something? (My eyesight is not too good, and I may not be looking in the
>> right place.)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Geoff

When you sell the monitor, simply provide the buyer with the order number
and the monitor serial number. They can reference the order number from
tech support, but doing so will bring up the service tag for the system sold
to "Mr B". I don't think they would normally recite the svc tag to the
monitor,but they might, and the name and address (after transferred) will
belong to "Mr. A". Also, "Mr.B" can likely access the tag from the support
site with the order number.

If he's asked to trouble-shoot the monitor, he can honestly say that he's
using the monitor with another system other than the original.

In the event of a monitor replacement, however, getting them to ship to a
changed name and address might be dicey.

In the past, they wouldn't even troubleshoot a monitor w/o the (then)
12-digit serial number (not sure if they currently do this). But they'd
likely require "Mr.B" to provide credit card security before shipping out a
replacement monitor anyway - so that might be enough.

You are correct, it might be shakey at best sellng them separately.

Stew

> "guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1099988130.92908@news...
>> If I'm not mistaken, the service tag for the computer covers everything
>> that came with it, including the monitor. Separate parts of your computer
>> purchase would not have separate service tags, unless they were purchased
>> separately.
>>

> Ahem, so how does Mr A, with the TFT, get to know the service tag of the
> PC it was sold with, given that Mr B has this and I sold it to Mr B
> without opening the box? I have a nasty feeling about this.
>

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 with TFT, then ended up selling the
>>> system box and TFT separately on ebay.
>>>
>>> These are new items, and I want to transfer the warranty to the new
>>> owners. I found the url to do this (I am in the UK):
>>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/pub/ccare/transfer_intl?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>>>
>>> It's easy enough to transfer the PC's warranty. However I can't find the
>>> service tag on the TFT, so I can't transfer that. Am I just missing
>>> something? (My eyesight is not too good, and I may not be looking in the
>>> right place.)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Geoff

If you can't get Dell to separate the warranty, you might have to offer to
refund your monitor buyer's payment due to the confusion in your
advertisement.

Paul Riemerman