Opinion for TAF project

It had a starting bid of $600 last night. He is a reimporter, thus
most of he machines that are currently listed are what he used for
parts and could not put back together. As with alot of container guys,
they don't sell projects unless that are really gutted.

Charlie L.

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Thanks guys. There is actually another one from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6194995682&category=13725&rd=1

Don't think I'll be buying it, looks very beat up. Surprizingly there
are number of projects on eBay. IMHO people are willing to pay too
much money for these trashed games.

Donnie Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul, grumpy wrote:
> > I was looking for one, there is one on eBay, pretty bad shape. Is it
> > even worth restoring, looks like there is $2000 of parts missing?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195395588&category=13725&rd=1
>
> Depends on how little you can get it for as well as if there are boards in
> it. I wouldn't personally consider it unless I could see it in person. If
> you're close to it, then I'd say figure what it's worth and bid. No way
> it'll go so cheap that adding the shipping fee will be worth it.
>
> The weird thing is that it says no translite, but I see a translite. What
> I don't see is a speaker panel. There's also no bookcase assembly.
>
> At any rate, you'd just have to ask yourself how much of a restoration you
> want to do. To me, the only way to restore this thing would be to get a
> new cabinet from BTC and find a new IPB playfield and all the new parts you
> can find. But then you have consider what you're buying...you're getting a
> wiring harness and a lot of misc playfield parts and cabinet parts. If the
> boards are there (with the one to be SURE on being the Fliptronics 1
> board), then it's probably worth $1500 MAX. Maybe more like $1200 to some
> folks. Then you still have a pretty good bit of hard stuff to find, but
> none of it impossible. If you do everything and do it right, you'll have a
> machine worth $5k+.
>
> If I was going to be in Florida any time soon or knew someone coming from
> that way, I'd probably get more info and bid. But that's because I have
> most of the parts that it lacks. But I'd rather keep them than sell them
> as I'll probably need them in the not too distant future.
>

> --Donnie
>
> --
> Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.

Metal looks pretty rusted but it might not attract a lot of bidding.

GRY

On Fri, 22 Jul, grumpy wrote:
> I was looking for one, there is one on eBay, pretty bad shape. Is it
> even worth restoring, looks like there is $2000 of parts missing?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195395588&category=13725&rd=1

Depends on how little you can get it for as well as if there are boards in
it. I wouldn't personally consider it unless I could see it in person. If
you're close to it, then I'd say figure what it's worth and bid. No way
it'll go so cheap that adding the shipping fee will be worth it.

The weird thing is that it says no translite, but I see a translite. What
I don't see is a speaker panel. There's also no bookcase assembly.

At any rate, you'd just have to ask yourself how much of a restoration you
want to do. To me, the only way to restore this thing would be to get a
new cabinet from BTC and find a new IPB playfield and all the new parts you
can find. But then you have consider what you're buying...you're getting a
wiring harness and a lot of misc playfield parts and cabinet parts. If the
boards are there (with the one to be SURE on being the Fliptronics 1
board), then it's probably worth $1500 MAX. Maybe more like $1200 to some
folks. Then you still have a pretty good bit of hard stuff to find, but
none of it impossible. If you do everything and do it right, you'll have a
machine worth $5k+.

If I was going to be in Florida any time soon or knew someone coming from
that way, I'd probably get more info and bid. But that's because I have
most of the parts that it lacks. But I'd rather keep them than sell them
as I'll probably need them in the not too distant future.

--Donnie

Looking at it, I think its worth the price of a well used cabinet,
playfield, and topper. I assume the boards are missing. The rest of it is
incidental. Perhaps 600 dollars? As for restoring it, forget it unless you
have another TAF parts machine. I think your 2K estimate is not far off and
you have to dig this stuff up, could take years.

"grumpy" <reko191@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was looking for one, there is one on eBay, pretty bad shape. Is it
> even worth restoring, looks like there is $2000 of parts missing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195395588&category=13725&rd=1

I emailed the guy asking if there were any boards. I didn't get a reply so
I'm leery. If the boards are there it would be worth fixing, otherwise it's
a parts game in my opinion.

Mark Hooks