Editing the registry to change removable disk icons

Hi all,

I've found out , that u can go here to edit what icons
appear for different things etc including removable
disks.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
explorer \ Shell Icons

I see you can use 7 to change removable disk icons.

Can you use/add more than 1 7 here (in the registry), if u have more than 1
removable disk??

I've got an Ipod, a 7-1 internal USB2 card reader, and a usb key, I have the
icons I want to use (atm, I've created a shortcut on the desktop in XP for
these).

BUT would like the icons for them to appear in My computer. NOT on the
desktop. Can u do this??

It just saves me clogging up the desktop with a different icon for the same
device in My computer.

Any info appreciated

Thanx
4 answers Last reply
More about editing registry change removable disk icons

    This will let you do what you desire. http://www.phm.lu/Products/PC/Plus/
    "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've found out , that u can go here to edit what icons
    > appear for different things etc including removable
    > disks.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > explorer \ Shell Icons
    >
    > I see you can use 7 to change removable disk icons.
    >
    > Can you use/add more than 1 7 here (in the registry), if u have more than
    > 1 removable disk??
    >
    > I've got an Ipod, a 7-1 internal USB2 card reader, and a usb key, I have
    > the icons I want to use (atm, I've created a shortcut on the desktop in XP
    > for these).
    >
    > BUT would like the icons for them to appear in My computer. NOT on the
    > desktop. Can u do this??
    >
    > It just saves me clogging up the desktop with a different icon for the
    > same device in My computer.
    >
    > Any info appreciated
    >
    > Thanx

    I forgot to mention, I use StyleXP.

    BUT I can't seem to find any themes etc, that include icons for removable
    disks.

    Or would anyone know where I could some kind of file for StyleXP that does
    the same thing?? As well as an icon
    for a digital camera. And a digital video cam.

    "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've found out , that u can go here to edit what icons
    > appear for different things etc including removable
    > disks.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > explorer \ Shell Icons
    >
    > I see you can use 7 to change removable disk icons.
    >
    > Can you use/add more than 1 7 here (in the registry), if u have more than
    > 1 removable disk??
    >
    > I've got an Ipod, a 7-1 internal USB2 card reader, and a usb key, I have
    > the icons I want to use (atm, I've created a shortcut on the desktop in XP
    > for these).
    >
    > BUT would like the icons for them to appear in My computer. NOT on the
    > desktop. Can u do this??
    >
    > It just saves me clogging up the desktop with a different icon for the
    > same device in My computer.
    >
    > Any info appreciated
    >
    > Thanx

    Thanx Glen, I'll check it out

    Cheers

    "Glen" <glenrobrts@_NOSPAM_mail.com> wrote in message
    > This will let you do what you desire.
    > http://www.phm.lu/Products/PC/Plus/
    > "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've found out , that u can go here to edit what icons
    >> appear for different things etc including removable
    >> disks.
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >> explorer \ Shell Icons
    >>
    >> I see you can use 7 to change removable disk icons.
    >>
    >> Can you use/add more than 1 7 here (in the registry), if u have more than
    >> 1 removable disk??
    >>
    >> I've got an Ipod, a 7-1 internal USB2 card reader, and a usb key, I have
    >> the icons I want to use (atm, I've created a shortcut on the desktop in
    >> XP for these).
    >>
    >> BUT would like the icons for them to appear in My computer. NOT on the
    >> desktop. Can u do this??
    >>
    >> It just saves me clogging up the desktop with a different icon for the
    >> same device in My computer.
    >>
    >> Any info appreciated
    >>
    >> Thanx

    Thats what I was after Glen.

    Thanks for the link!

    > Thanx Glen, I'll check it out
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > "Glen" <glenrobrts@_NOSPAM_mail.com> wrote in message
    >> This will let you do what you desire. http://www.phm.lu/Products/PC/Plus/
    >> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've found out , that u can go here to edit what icons
    >>> appear for different things etc including removable
    >>> disks.
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >>> explorer \ Shell Icons
    >>>
    >>> I see you can use 7 to change removable disk icons.
    >>>
    >>> Can you use/add more than 1 7 here (in the registry), if u have more
    >>> than 1 removable disk??
    >>>
    >>> I've got an Ipod, a 7-1 internal USB2 card reader, and a usb key, I have
    >>> the icons I want to use (atm, I've created a shortcut on the desktop in
    >>> XP for these).
    >>>
    >>> BUT would like the icons for them to appear in My computer. NOT on the
    >>> desktop. Can u do this??
    >>>
    >>> It just saves me clogging up the desktop with a different icon for the
    >>> same device in My computer.
    >>>
    >>> Any info appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Thanx

Removable Disk Icons Windows XP