G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the same
problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I
keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has nothing.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

t.cruise wrote:

> I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the same
> problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I
> keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
> printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
> found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has nothing.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>
>
>
>
>

If it's necessary the proper approach is cross posting to no more than
two or three pertinent groups. Never multipost.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

G

| I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the same
| problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I
| keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
| printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
| found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has nothing.
| Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
| --
|
| T.C.
| t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
| Remove [NoSpam] to reply
|

Please learn to Cross-post instead of Multi-Post.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

G

One cannot win. If one cross posts, one gets flamed for that. If one posts to two groups
separately, one gets flamed for that too. Here is a suggestion for you: If you cannot
offer a fix to a posted problem, count to ten and move on. What you posted was of not
helpful. It was just your opinion.
--

T.C.
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:#Fn0NxQrFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> From: "t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com>
>
> | I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the
same
> | problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security
2005, I
> | keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
> | printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
> | found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has
nothing.
> | Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> | --
> |
> | T.C.
> | t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> | Remove [NoSpam] to reply
> |
>
> Please learn to Cross-post instead of Multi-Post.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>

G

| One cannot win. If one cross posts, one gets flamed for that. If one posts to two groups
| separately, one gets flamed for that too. Here is a suggestion for you: If you cannot
| offer a fix to a posted problem, count to ten and move on. What you posted was of not
| helpful. It was just your opinion.
| --
|
| T.C.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Cross-Posting.
Anyone who says differently is just plain wrong.

That is...as long as all the News Groups posted to are On Topic for the given subject matter
and the Cross-Post does not go out to an excessive number of groups. Like Cross-Post to 12
News groups at one time. Posting to 4 ~ 6 relevant News Groups at max. is good practice.

One reason this is better is that you are posting one to many. There is only one News Post
on the server rather than wasting space by multiplying the number of messages. Another
reason this is better is that if one replies to a Multi-Posted message the reply only goes
to that one News Group. If one replies to a Cross-Posted message the reply goes to all News
Groups so all benefit from the interactive thread.

As for my answer it was a good answer based upon a vague question. If you got "...constant
pop up messages about the printer spooler..." then you should have quoted the Pop-Up
messages exactly as displayed. When you get down to it it is a Norton/Symantec problem and
I didn't even see a post from you in the Symantec NortonAntiVirus News Group. It would
haver been a good thing if you Cross-Posted this query to...

symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.security.virus

--
Dave

G

I am not thrilled to have started a thread about cross posting vs. multiposting. 3
responses, and none have anything to do with the problem that I posted about. It seems
that some people just want to be right, rather than helpful. I would have expected Rock,
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User to post a fix to my problem, rather than more about cross
posting vs. multiposting, which has already been settled. I posted a simple post for help
with a specific problem to two groups. Y'all seem to be more interested in discussing
cross posting vs. multiposting ad nauseam, rather then helping with the problem. It is
not as if I posted to six different groups and changed my clock so that my posts appeared
first in order. When someone posts for help, I do not respond unless it is to give
information about a fix for the posted problem, or to ask for clarification in order to
give help. I cannot recall ever seeing a response post from Kelly chastising for some
news group minutia, only help for the original poster. Y'all could take some lessons from
Kelly.
--

T.C.
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:uWeTNQRrFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> t.cruise wrote:
>
> > I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the
same
> > problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security
2005, I
> > keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
> > printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
> > found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has
nothing.
> > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> > --
> >
> > T.C.
> > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> If it's necessary the proper approach is cross posting to no more than
> two or three pertinent groups. Never multipost.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

G

| I am not thrilled to have started a thread about cross posting vs. multiposting. 3
| responses, and none have anything to do with the problem that I posted about. It seems
| that some people just want to be right, rather than helpful. I would have expected Rock,
| MS MVP Windows - Shell/User to post a fix to my problem, rather than more about cross
| posting vs. multiposting, which has already been settled. I posted a simple post for help
| with a specific problem to two groups. Y'all seem to be more interested in discussing
| cross posting vs. multiposting ad nauseam, rather then helping with the problem. It is
| not as if I posted to six different groups and changed my clock so that my posts appeared
| first in order. When someone posts for help, I do not respond unless it is to give
| information about a fix for the posted problem, or to ask for clarification in order to
| give help. I cannot recall ever seeing a response post from Kelly chastising for some
| news group minutia, only help for the original poster. Y'all could take some lessons from
| Kelly.
| --
|
| T.C.

Stop whining. You still haven't quoted the Pop-Up messages exactly as displayed. That's
important information. Without it, all answers at best can be conjecture. The fact is I
did give a good reply in the Security and Virus News Group based upon your limited post.

--
Dave

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

t.cruise wrote:

> I am not thrilled to have started a thread about cross posting vs. multiposting. 3
> responses, and none have anything to do with the problem that I posted about. It seems
> that some people just want to be right, rather than helpful. I would have expected Rock,
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User to post a fix to my problem, rather than more about cross
> posting vs. multiposting, which has already been settled. I posted a simple post for help
> with a specific problem to two groups. Y'all seem to be more interested in discussing
> cross posting vs. multiposting ad nauseam, rather then helping with the problem. It is
> not as if I posted to six different groups and changed my clock so that my posts appeared
> first in order. When someone posts for help, I do not respond unless it is to give
> information about a fix for the posted problem, or to ask for clarification in order to
> give help. I cannot recall ever seeing a response post from Kelly chastising for some
> news group minutia, only help for the original poster. Y'all could take some lessons from
> Kelly.
> --
>
> T.C.
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:uWeTNQRrFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>t.cruise wrote:
>>
>>>I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the
>
> same
>
>>>problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security
>
> 2005, I
>
>>>keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
>>>printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
>>>found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has
>
> nothing.
>
>>>Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>>>--
>>>T.C.
>>>t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
>>>Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>>
>>If it's necessary the proper approach is cross posting to no more than
>>two or three pertinent groups. Never multipost.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I responded when you went on about the issue of mutli vs cross post in
an attempt to clarify it for you - cross posting fine, multi posting
not. I didn't chastise you or make any judgments - never even saw your
other post If you don't like the response that's your problem as it's
pretty clear you are the one with the problem. You're not owed an
answer by anyone.

As to your problem, I don't know if NIS is the cause of this problem,
but I wouldn't use or recommend NIS or Norton AV. Their software is the
cause of the greatest number of off topic problem posts in this newsgroup.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

TC - I'm a total novice here but I just tried something I read in another
post if you run services.msc from the start menu, go to print spooler and
just click on restart, it seems to have stopped the INCESSANT pop up problem
- at least temorarily. I guess time will tell if it "sticks" good luck.

Bob

"t.cruise" wrote:

> I am not thrilled to have started a thread about cross posting vs. multiposting. 3
> responses, and none have anything to do with the problem that I posted about. It seems
> that some people just want to be right, rather than helpful. I would have expected Rock,
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User to post a fix to my problem, rather than more about cross
> posting vs. multiposting, which has already been settled. I posted a simple post for help
> with a specific problem to two groups. Y'all seem to be more interested in discussing
> cross posting vs. multiposting ad nauseam, rather then helping with the problem. It is
> not as if I posted to six different groups and changed my clock so that my posts appeared
> first in order. When someone posts for help, I do not respond unless it is to give
> information about a fix for the posted problem, or to ask for clarification in order to
> give help. I cannot recall ever seeing a response post from Kelly chastising for some
> news group minutia, only help for the original poster. Y'all could take some lessons from
> Kelly.
> --
>
> T.C.
>
>
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:uWeTNQRrFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > t.cruise wrote:
> >
> > > I tried support at the Symantec site, and searched Google. Others seem to have the
> same
> > > problem, but I cannot find a solution. After installing Norton Internet Security
> 2005, I
> > > keep getting constant pop up messages about the printer spooler when I open NIS. The
> > > printer operates fine. It is NIS that is causing the problem. It is odd that I have
> > > found so many posts at Google about this, but that the Symantec knowledgebase has
> nothing.
> > > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
> > > --
> > >
> > > T.C.
> > > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> > > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > If it's necessary the proper approach is cross posting to no more than
> > two or three pertinent groups. Never multipost.
> >
> > --
> > Rock
> > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >
>
>
>