Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

My Documents Folders Opening on Startup

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:38:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have just upgraded to XP2, and after this now have 2 My Documents windows
opening on startup. Closing them works, but they then open on next startup.
I have followed a check on one registry key in a technet article, but that
key is correct on my system. Has anyone experienced this and found a way to
stop them from appearing? Thanks!
--
ratherbquilting
August 30, 2005 12:34:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

ratherbquilting wrote:

> I have just upgraded to XP2, and after this now have 2 My Documents windows
> opening on startup. Closing them works, but they then open on next startup.
> I have followed a check on one registry key in a technet article, but that
> key is correct on my system. Has anyone experienced this and found a way to
> stop them from appearing? Thanks!

It would help if you posted what specific key you checked.

Try running the edit on Kelly's site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Line 255: My Documents Folder Opens Upon Boot (for C:\)

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

Also take a took at another location on Kelly's site for tips:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Click on "M". Scroll down to:
My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:20:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

One quick check to do: Run MSCONFIG, take a look at the Startup Tab. See if it lists EXPLORER.

Next, check these folders , and their contents :
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then the only references left would possibly be in the system registry.

If you're a complete novice, please take extreme care. You should probably
defer this next section; but rather logoff / reboot pc/ and see if problem
re-occurs.

Registry lookup:
Go to Sart | Run | Regedit <enter>
In Registry Editor, select My Computer (on left tree view) by clicking once,
then choose File , Export. This will begin a dialog to save a copy of the
whole registry.
Give it a name. It has a .reg extension.

Then do a search for the Keys noted below and review carefully .

Programs may "autorun" due to entries in the system registry. "Run" keys cause
programs to automatically run each time that a user logs on.
The Windows XP registry includes the following Run keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and ...ditto ....\RunServices

You want to carefully look under those keys, on the right-hand expanded view, for entries under there.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----


ratherbquilting wrote:
> I have just upgraded to XP2, and after this now have 2 My Documents
> windows opening on startup. Closing them works, but they then open
> on next startup. I have followed a check on one registry key in a
> technet article, but that key is correct on my system. Has anyone
> experienced this and found a way to stop them from appearing? Thanks!
Related resources
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:20:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks so much! I had looked at the registry keys you mentioned, but missed
the most obvious (it was the explorer in msconfig (x2)). Saved me from the
preverbial beat the head against the wall... thanks again!
--
ratherbquilting


"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> One quick check to do: Run MSCONFIG, take a look at the Startup Tab. See if it lists EXPLORER.
>
> Next, check these folders , and their contents :
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Then the only references left would possibly be in the system registry.
>
> If you're a complete novice, please take extreme care. You should probably
> defer this next section; but rather logoff / reboot pc/ and see if problem
> re-occurs.
>
> Registry lookup:
> Go to Sart | Run | Regedit <enter>
> In Registry Editor, select My Computer (on left tree view) by clicking once,
> then choose File , Export. This will begin a dialog to save a copy of the
> whole registry.
> Give it a name. It has a .reg extension.
>
> Then do a search for the Keys noted below and review carefully .
>
> Programs may "autorun" due to entries in the system registry. "Run" keys cause
> programs to automatically run each time that a user logs on.
> The Windows XP registry includes the following Run keys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> and ...ditto ....\RunServices
>
> You want to carefully look under those keys, on the right-hand expanded view, for entries under there.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
>
> ratherbquilting wrote:
> > I have just upgraded to XP2, and after this now have 2 My Documents
> > windows opening on startup. Closing them works, but they then open
> > on next startup. I have followed a check on one registry key in a
> > technet article, but that key is correct on my system. Has anyone
> > experienced this and found a way to stop them from appearing? Thanks!
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:16:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are very welcome.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

ratherbquilting wrote:
> Thanks so much! I had looked at the registry keys you mentioned, but
> missed the most obvious (it was the explorer in msconfig (x2)).
> Saved me from the preverbial beat the head against the wall... thanks
> again!
>
December 12, 2010 12:20:28 PM

Here is instructions for resolving this problem step-by-step:

1. Open Regedit (Start -> Run -> type ‘regedit’)
2. Open dir HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. Open dir SOFTWARE
4. Open dir Microsoft
5. Open dir Windows NT
6. Open CurrentVersion
7. Open Winlogon
8. Find Shell
9. Double-click on it (or right click and Edit)
10. Edit second input from Explorer.exe C:\….Isass.exe to just Explorer.exe
11. So entry has to be only Explorer.exe, without C:\…

http://mojserver.info/windows-xp-cdocuments-startup-errors-and-troubles/
December 15, 2010 12:12:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!