What are the main steps to follow when installing software and how do you
test software has been correctly installed on a computer system?

1. Always be sure that all virus and ad-blocking protection are updated
before beginning an installation.
2. Close all open software. In some cases, virus protection software must
be disabled, but I don't like to do this unless you have problems with the
install.
3. Utilize either the diskettes, CD's or DVD provided by the sofware
manufacturer, or obtain a proper download as instructed from their site.
4. Click on the startup.exe file, or follow the automatic launch of the
startup. If this is not happening, you'll have to go to the spot that you
downloaded, or to the CD from My Computer, and find the setup.exe to launch
the install.
5. Follow all manufacturer steps, including all suggested reboots.
Usually, the suggested placement of the software is best.
6. When finished, launch the software (or allow it to do so if it suggests)
and navigate within it to see that the installaiton is functional. A reboot
after first use is also sometimes wise, since settings may be made and/or
followup may be required.

Hope this helps!
--
ratherbquilting

"Quje" wrote:

> What are the main steps to follow when installing software and how do you
> test software has been correctly installed on a computer system?

1. Create a restore point first with system restore.
2. If you have imaging software, make an image of your system first as
well.
3. Verify you have the latest windows installer at windows update site.
4. Verify the software is meant for Wndows XP use.
5. Scan the software installation media with an AV scanner. Close the AV
both at the desktop and in the system tray when done, and veified clean.
6. Log off any internet connection.
7. If the install media autostarts the installation, follow the prompts,
and agree to the license agreement if present. Type in any license/product
key if called for. In some cases, this may not be required until after the
software is installed.
8. Reboot/restart the PC. This is not needed for some software. But hurts
nothing. Some software installs will not prompt if a restart is needed.
9. Register the software if needed.
10. Defragment the partition on which the software was installed.

Simply running the software using all its menu selections is usually
adequate. If not intuitive to you for operation, have the software help or
manual available.

When happy create another system restore point.

"Quje" <Quje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are the main steps to follow when installing software and how do you
> test software has been correctly installed on a computer system?

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

"Quje" <Quje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> What are the main steps to follow when installing software

Clicking on the "Next" button

and how do you
> test software has been correctly installed on a computer system?

Run it and see

Jon