XP Home and DOS Program

August 30, 2005 1:17:01 AM

I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend owns
with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not, still
runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
upgrade to XP Pro?
--
ratherbquilting

More about : home dos program

August 30, 2005 1:45:55 AM

ratherbquilting wrote:

> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend owns
> with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not, still
> runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
> upgrade to XP Pro?

No difference between Home and Pro in ability to run Dos programs. Try
running it in compatibility mode. Some will run, some won't.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

ratherbquilting wrote:
> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a
> friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company,
> believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get
> around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?

Try the compatibility wizard?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

IF the app does not run in Home's command pompt, it will not run in Xp Pro's either.

What is the DOS app, and what does it require to run?
Most "well behaved" dos apps will run in XP's command interpreters.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

ratherbquilting wrote:
> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a
> friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company,
> believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get
> around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:41:24 AM

Actually, it runs fine on my XP Pro system. It's a really kludgy old DOS
application by a company that sells Children's books. Very basic DOS from
about 1985. Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home Toshiba:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem (dialog box title)
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - dbexe menu (what I typed to launch)
c:\windows\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose "Close" to teminate the
application.
Close Ignore
--
ratherbquilting

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> IF the app does not run in Home's command pompt, it will not run in Xp Pro's either.
>
> What is the DOS app, and what does it require to run?
> Most "well behaved" dos apps will run in XP's command interpreters.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> ratherbquilting wrote:
> > I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a
> > friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company,
> > believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get
> > around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:30:44 AM

Some general tips on running DOS apps.
Be aware (1) your dos apps cannot address the hardware devices directly, (2) nor can they use real-mode
drivers. "Real mode dos" programs cannot run in XP.

It's easier to have shortcuts to your dos-app executable & then run it by clicking on that shortcut.

Look up in XP's Help and Support Center, in its search box:
"Set up two shortcuts for an MS-DOS program "
"Create or change a PIF"

Also, while in there , lookup the related topics.

And remember: XP (just like rest of NT family) does not use Config.sys / autoexec.bat;
but does use Config.NT / Autoexec.NT, located at (in \windows\system32 or yours may
be at \winnt\system32 ).

Try running the program in the (alternate) 16-bit dos emulator ----via
Command.com ---
Start | Run | type Command.com <enter>

then try running your program.

Running Nonnative Applications in Windows 2000 Professional (applies to XP as well)

Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

ratherbquilting wrote:
> Actually, it runs fine on my XP Pro system. It's a really kludgy old
> DOS application by a company that sells Children's books. Very basic
> DOS from about 1985. Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home
> Toshiba:
>
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem (dialog box title)
> c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - dbexe menu (what I typed to launch)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose "Close" to
> teminate the application.
> Close Ignore
>
>> IF the app does not run in Home's command pompt, it will not run in
>> Xp Pro's either.
>>
>> What is the DOS app, and what does it require to run?
>> Most "well behaved" dos apps will run in XP's command interpreters.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>
>> ratherbquilting wrote:
>>> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a
>>> friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company,
>>> believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get
>>> around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:33:33 AM

Quick fix you can try.

Make a copy of your autoexec.nt and copy it to his machine.

I had a few machines have this issue and that worked for me.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"ratherbquilting" <ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CDAA92B5-1847-43E2-AA87-B6352AC50CBB@microsoft.com...
> Actually, it runs fine on my XP Pro system. It's a really kludgy old DOS
> application by a company that sells Children's books. Very basic DOS from
> about 1985. Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home Toshiba:
>
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem (dialog box title)
> c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - dbexe menu (what I typed to launch)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose "Close" to teminate the
> application.
> Close Ignore
> --
> ratherbquilting
>

> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> IF the app does not run in Home's command pompt, it will not run in Xp
>> Pro's either.
>>
>> What is the DOS app, and what does it require to run?
>> Most "well behaved" dos apps will run in XP's command interpreters.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>
>> ratherbquilting wrote:
>> > I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a
>> > friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company,
>> > believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get
>> > around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:35:10 AM

A generic answer for when all things go pear shaped with non OS native apps
is to try VMware.

--

message news:954D02DD-2978-41CE-9FC0-C318E0FC55DB@microsoft.com...
> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend
> owns
> with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not,
> still
> runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
> upgrade to XP Pro?
> --
> ratherbquilting
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:07:13 PM

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

This can also be caused by malware.

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
installed:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"ratherbquilting" <ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:954D02DD-2978-41CE-9FC0-C318E0FC55DB@microsoft.com...
> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend
> owns
> with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not,
> still
> runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
> upgrade to XP Pro?
> --
> ratherbquilting
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:07:14 PM

Thank you! -- Autoexec.nt was missing in the system32 directory, and was
available in my repair directory. After the copy the app works fine.
--
ratherbquilting

"Crios" wrote:

> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> Windows-based program:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp
>
> This can also be caused by malware.
>
> Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
> installed:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...
>
> You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
> copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
> (%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
> the KB article above.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>

> "ratherbquilting" <ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:954D02DD-2978-41CE-9FC0-C318E0FC55DB@microsoft.com...
> > I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend
> > owns
> > with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not,
> > still
> > runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
> > upgrade to XP Pro?
> > --
> > ratherbquilting

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:18:01 PM

In news:954D02DD-2978-41CE-9FC0-C318E0FC55DB@microsoft.com,
ratherbquilting <ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com>
typed:

> I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that
> friend owns with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her
> company,
> believe it or not, still runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to
> get
> around this, short of buying an upgrade to XP Pro?

First of all, note that an upgrade to XP Professional will do
*nothing* to help. If either version of XP can run the program in
question, both can. Nor does it have anything to do with its
being a Satellite laptop.

Some DOS programs work in XP without doing anything special, some
work only in compatibility mode, some won't work at all. It
depends entirely on the program.

Tell us what program it is, and maybe someone here has experience
with it. Or ask the program's manufacturer, if they are still in
business.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:04:49 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:17:01 -0700, ratherbquilting
<ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been told by a Toshiba rep that the Satellite laptop that a friend owns
>with XP Home cannot run a DOS program. Her company, believe it or not, still
>runs a DOS app. Anybody know a way to get around this, short of buying an
>upgrade to XP Pro?

Generally speaking, the rep was wrong. I don't think Home and Pro
have any difference in their support for DOS programs.

There are some particular DOS programs that won't work in XP
(namely, those that get really down and dirty with the hardware),
but most will run just fine.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:07:33 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:00:01 -0700, ratherbquilting
<ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Actually, it runs fine on my XP Pro system. It's a really kludgy old DOS
>application by a company that sells Children's books. Very basic DOS from
>about 1985. Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home Toshiba:
>
>16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem (dialog box title)
>c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - dbexe menu (what I typed to launch)
>c:\windows\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
>MS-DOS and MS Windows applications.

That's not a Pro-versus-Home issue; your Home system is infected by
malware. See
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
August 31, 2005 12:28:31 AM

ratherbquilting wrote:

> Actually, it runs fine on my XP Pro system. It's a really kludgy old DOS
> application by a company that sells Children's books. Very basic DOS from
> about 1985. Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home Toshiba:
>
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem (dialog box title)
> c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - dbexe menu (what I typed to launch)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose "Close" to teminate the
> application.
> Close Ignore

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324767

Also can be caused by a Trojan installing a file windupdater.exe and
creating registry entries for that file.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618...

AVAST (free antivirus software) can be the cause if SP2 is installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRV...

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt by copying a backup
copy held in windows\repair to windows\system32.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

1 is not correct. Dos programs CAN access well known hardware and it runs in a virtualised machine (and on alpha they run a 80486 emulator). Program mfg can provide vxd to allow access to any other hardware. In full screen mode Dos programs ARE accessing the video card direct MS provides vxds for serial, LPT ports, and similar.

!