Integrate WMP w/home audio sytem

Does somebody out there have simple "one-line" diagrams or "bubble charts"
that illustrate alternatives for using WMP as a "jukebox" for my home audio
system? I have no problem buying a cheap PC to place next to my Salamander
rack. Yes, I have a nice set of speakers w/subwoofer connected to my PC --
and it does sound very good -- but 'cmon -- I have thousands of dollars worth
of audio gear sitting in my family room and living room that is hostage to a
5-disc CD changer. Of course, there is the "issue" of protected content and
how I can eithermigrate songs to another PC or configure a network and play
the songs that are stored on the "original" PC they were initially "bought
on" (isn't this wonderful -- might as well buy CD's huh?). Naturally, I want
"local control" of WMP to be adjacent to the other audio "controls" (don't
want to run to the basement where the "PC I bought the music with" sits --
just to queue-up another song) -- you know what I mean. I can't believe
there hasn't been more written about this. I am a busy guy with a business
to run. I am sure I could figure things out with a few beers and a week of
horsing around, but why re-invent the wheel? Any ideas? I will, however,
bet a dollar to a dime that the "protected content" thing will be a noose
around my neck in this instance. Thank-you Hollywood and Microsofy. I am 46
years old and... yeah, right -- I'm sitting here making "pirate" CD's for my
friends. For goondess, sake, if I can charge $200/hr as a consultant, why
would I bother? Anyway, has somebody out there set-up a "system" like this?
A friend of mine drug his laptop out to his living room for a 50th birthday
party and did it (it was nice), but that is not a very clean (or permanent)
set-up.

--
JF
5 answers Last reply

    JohnF wrote:
    > Does somebody out there have simple "one-line" diagrams or "bubble
    > charts" that illustrate alternatives for using WMP as a "jukebox" for
    > my home audio system? I have no problem buying a cheap PC to place
    > next to my Salamander rack. Yes, I have a nice set of speakers
    > w/subwoofer connected to my PC -- and it does sound very good -- but
    > 'cmon -- I have thousands of dollars worth of audio gear sitting in
    > my family room and living room that is hostage to a 5-disc CD
    > changer. Of course, there is the "issue" of protected content and
    > how I can eithermigrate songs to another PC or configure a network
    > and play the songs that are stored on the "original" PC they were
    > initially "bought on" (isn't this wonderful -- might as well buy CD's
    > huh?). Naturally, I want "local control" of WMP to be adjacent to
    > the other audio "controls" (don't want to run to the basement where
    > the "PC I bought the music with" sits -- just to queue-up another
    > song) -- you know what I mean. I can't believe there hasn't been
    > more written about this. I am a busy guy with a business to run. I
    > am sure I could figure things out with a few beers and a week of
    > horsing around, but why re-invent the wheel? Any ideas? I will,
    > however, bet a dollar to a dime that the "protected content" thing
    > will be a noose around my neck in this instance. Thank-you Hollywood
    > and Microsofy. I am 46 years old and... yeah, right -- I'm sitting
    > here making "pirate" CD's for my friends. For goondess, sake, if I
    > can charge $200/hr as a consultant, why would I bother? Anyway, has
    > somebody out there set-up a "system" like this? A friend of mine drug
    > his laptop out to his living room for a 50th birthday party and did
    > it (it was nice), but that is not a very clean (or permanent) set-up.

    The moral of this story is don't buy copy-protected copyrighted
    material. They are damaged goods.

    My computer is connected to my stereo by optical digital connection, and
    I don't have any copy-protected music, so I have no problems.

    Simple diagram:

    Computer Receiver
    <------------------------------->
    Digital out Digital in

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    "JohnF" <JohnF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does somebody out there have simple "one-line" diagrams or "bubble charts"
    > that illustrate alternatives for using WMP as a "jukebox" for my home
    > audio
    > system?

    Wireless Digital Music Player
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP101.php

    --
    WH

    Thank-you, William.

    Sorry about the somewhat harsh tone of my initial post -- I've been doing
    some investigating and have found a few tidbits, but nothing comprehensive.
    I'd really like to be able to "run" WMP10 from an "upstairs" computer next to
    my audio rack --which would access the music on my "basement" computer. On
    second thought, I'd rather not MOVE the files to another PC (which could be
    problemmatic in itself).

    Thanks again. I wil check-out the link.

    --
    JF

    > I'd really like to be able to "run" WMP10 from an "upstairs" computer next
    > my audio rack --which would access the music on my "basement" computer.
    > On
    > second thought, I'd rather not MOVE the files to another PC (which could
    > be
    > problemmatic in itself).

    The problem with siting a PC next to the hi-fi is that the PC generates
    noise and interference (not good for listening pleasure). The wireless
    solution deals with that.

    The Netgear device is an example, there are other similar devices available.

    --
    WH

    I only buy CDs and let MP copy them. I'm very unlikely to buy any modern CD.

Audio Windows XP