Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can a partition be split?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:12:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
losing data?

What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?

If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.

My machine is running XP Home SP2.

The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
locked.

Thanks.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

More about : partition split

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:24:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If the locked partition is for complete system restoration, don't mess with
it. This is NOT associated with XP's restore function.

"dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
> losing data?
>
> What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?
>
> If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.
>
> My machine is running XP Home SP2.
>
> The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
> locked.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:02:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> typed:

> Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP
> software
> without losing data?


No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
personally) is Bootit Next Generation.



However there are no guarantees that any such program always
works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
beginning.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:18:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

XP cannot do it but there are tools that can.

BootItNG www.bootitng.com
Partition Magic
others

You can download a trial of BootItNG that will do the job

--
Regards
Mark Dormer
How to ask a newsgroup question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375


"dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
> losing data?
>
> What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?
>
> If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.
>
> My machine is running XP Home SP2.
>
> The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
> locked.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:27:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:02:27 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>However there are no guarantees that any such program always
>works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
>something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
>you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
>beginning.

Amen, brother!

Even the best written program can't do much if there's a power
failure at an inopportune moment.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:55:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uuGTmtTrFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
"Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote:

> XP cannot do it but there are tools that can.
>
> BootItNG www.bootitng.com
> Partition Magic
> others
>
> You can download a trial of BootItNG that will do the job

I will give this one a try.

Thank you.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

> --
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
> How to ask a newsgroup question:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
>
> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
> news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
> > losing data?
> >
> > What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?
> >
> > If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.
> >
> > My machine is running XP Home SP2.
> >
> > The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
> > locked.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Dennis
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Kessler
> > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:58:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <Og94O0UrFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

> If the locked partition is for complete system restoration, don't mess with
> it. This is NOT associated with XP's restore function.

Yes, one of the partitions a FAT32 is for system restoration. I won't
change that partition.

Just curious, ...everything is locked in the partition, in order to make
any changes (which I won't), is the lock and unlock controlled via safe
mode with XP Home edition?

-Dennis


> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
> news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
> > losing data?
> >
> > What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?
> >
> > If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.
> >
> > My machine is running XP Home SP2.
> >
> > The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
> > locked.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Dennis
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Kessler
> > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:59:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uSgrlbbrFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> In news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
> dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> typed:
>
> > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP
> > software
> > without losing data?
>
>
> No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
> the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
> it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
> Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
> shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
> good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
> personally) is Bootit Next Generation.
>

Thank you. I am going to try Bootit NG.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

>
> However there are no guarantees that any such program always
> works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
> something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
> you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
> beginning.
!