Can a partition be split?

Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
losing data?

What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?

If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.

My machine is running XP Home SP2.

The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
locked.

Thanks.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    If the locked partition is for complete system restoration, don't mess with
    it. This is NOT associated with XP's restore function.

    In news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
    dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> typed:

    > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP
    > software
    > without losing data?

    No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
    the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
    it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
    Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
    shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
    good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
    personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

    However there are no guarantees that any such program always
    works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
    something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
    you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
    beginning.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    XP cannot do it but there are tools that can.

    BootItNG www.bootitng.com
    Partition Magic
    others

    You can download a trial of BootItNG that will do the job

    --
    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
    > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP software without
    > losing data?
    >
    > What is a virtual partition? ...Advantages, disadvantages?
    >
    > If 3rd party software is required, then please make recommendations.
    >
    > My machine is running XP Home SP2.
    >
    > The drive came from HP with two partitions. One partition's software is
    > locked.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Dennis
    >
    > --
    > Dennis Kessler
    > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:02:27 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >However there are no guarantees that any such program always
    >works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
    >something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
    >you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
    >beginning.

    Amen, brother!

    Even the best written program can't do much if there's a power
    failure at an inopportune moment.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    In article <uuGTmtTrFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote:

    > XP cannot do it but there are tools that can.
    >
    > BootItNG www.bootitng.com
    > Partition Magic
    > others
    >
    > You can download a trial of BootItNG that will do the job

    I will give this one a try.

    Thank you.

    -Dennis

    --

    In article <Og94O0UrFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

    > If the locked partition is for complete system restoration, don't mess with
    > it. This is NOT associated with XP's restore function.

    Yes, one of the partitions a FAT32 is for system restoration. I won't
    change that partition.

    Just curious, ...everything is locked in the partition, in order to make
    any changes (which I won't), is the lock and unlock controlled via safe
    mode with XP Home edition?

    -Dennis

    In article <uSgrlbbrFHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    > In news:nobody-EAF2AA.01123230082005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
    > dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> typed:
    >
    > > Can a partition be divided into two partitions using XP
    > > software
    > > without losing data?
    >

    > No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
    > the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
    > it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
    > Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
    > shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
    > good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
    > personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

    Thank you. I am going to try Bootit NG.

    -Dennis

    --
    Dennis Kessler
    http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    > However there are no guarantees that any such program always
    > works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
    > something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure
    > you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before
    > beginning.

Software Partition Windows XP