Open With doesn't list a browsed program.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.

When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up of
available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program that
I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on the
Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that program.
Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with that
program?

Please help out. Thanks in advance.
Gino
11 answers Last reply
More about open doesn list browsed program
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    - 781 wrote:
    > Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >
    > When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes
    > up of available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the
    > program that I want to use, and click Open, that particular program
    > doesn't appear on the Open With screen. In the past the program that
    > I browsed, used to appear under Other Programs, and I would be able
    > to open my file with that program. Has something got corrupted in my
    > registry? Why am I unable to get any program appear on the screen so
    > I can choose it and open the file with that program?
    >
    > Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    > Gino

    Before you opened that file with your desired program did you first put a
    checkmark in the square for "always use this program for this type file"?
    If you didn't, that program wouldn't appear as one of your choices in the
    future. It would be a one-time open with that program and default back the
    next time to the original program.

    --

    Darrell R. Schmidt
    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

    HTF would anyone know? Did you list the steps you took, NO.

    " - 781" <lets@have.org> wrote in message news:%23qdcAzTrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >
    > When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up of
    > available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program that
    > I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on the
    > Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
    > under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that program.
    > Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
    > program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with that
    > program?
    >
    > Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    > Gino

    Programs don't appear unless they have an association with a valid
    Open action.
    Try using Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types to create an
    association for the file type you are concerned with.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:28:19 -0700, " - 781"
    <lets@have.org> wrote:

    >Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >
    >When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up of
    >available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program that
    >I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on the
    >Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
    >under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that program.
    >Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
    >program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with that
    >program?
    >
    >Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    >Gino

    That's not true for Win ME or Win XP

    If someone ever posts a proper question on this topic I might answer as I suspect I know the cause.But not one person has ever posted a proper problem description.

    David Candy wrote:
    > That's not true for Win ME or Win XP
    >
    > If someone ever posts a proper question on this topic I might answer
    > as I suspect I know the cause.But not one person has ever posted a
    > proper problem description.

    I had an application called Virtual Dub in my open with menu. It was not on
    the install/uninstall list but was unzipped to a temp folder where I dragged
    a shortcut to the desktop. I removed the temp folder to unzip a newer
    version which went well. This new version is not in the open with menu as
    the older one was. What do I do to get this newer version to appear on the
    list?

    Thanks

    J.

    >> Programs don't appear unless they have an association with a valid
    >> Open action.
    >> Try using Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types to create an
    >> association for the file type you are concerned with.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:28:19 -0700, " - 781"
    >> <lets@have.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >>>
    >>> When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list
    >>> comes up of available programs to use. When I click on Browse and
    >>> find the program that I want to use, and click Open, that
    >>> particular program doesn't appear on the Open With screen. In the
    >>> past the program that I browsed, used to appear under Other
    >>> Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that program.
    >>> Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get
    >>> any program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the
    >>> file with that program?
    >>>
    >>> Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    >>> Gino

    Talk in specifics

    "Jimmy" <Jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message news:%23eBf3rUrFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > David Candy wrote:
    >> That's not true for Win ME or Win XP
    >>
    >> If someone ever posts a proper question on this topic I might answer
    >> as I suspect I know the cause.But not one person has ever posted a
    >> proper problem description.
    >
    > I had an application called Virtual Dub in my open with menu. It was not on
    > the install/uninstall list but was unzipped to a temp folder where I dragged
    > a shortcut to the desktop. I removed the temp folder to unzip a newer
    > version which went well. This new version is not in the open with menu as
    > the older one was. What do I do to get this newer version to appear on the
    > list?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > J.
    >

    >>> Programs don't appear unless they have an association with a valid
    >>> Open action.
    >>> Try using Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types to create an
    >>> association for the file type you are concerned with.
    >>>
    >>> ...Alan
    >>> --
    >>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    How specific can I be?
    I listed the steps that have always worked for me before and what I've done,
    but here it goes again. :)

    1. I want to open an .avi file with BSPlayer Pro and not Media Player as
    it's the default program to play movies.
    2. I Right click, Choose Open With, Clicked Browse(because it's not listed
    in the Open With Screen) and choose the program from Program Files/BSPlayer
    Pro.

    Now in the past, when I chose the program, the browse screen would close and
    the program would appear in the Other Programs section of Open With screen.
    Now it doesn't appear in that section.

    I am thinking it's a registry problem.
    Gino

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    That's not true for Win ME or Win XP

    If someone ever posts a proper question on this topic I might answer as I
    suspect I know the cause.But not one person has ever posted a proper problem
    description.
    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Programs don't appear unless they have an association with a valid
    > Open action.
    > Try using Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types to create an
    > association for the file type you are concerned with.
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:28:19 -0700, " - 781"
    > <lets@have.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >>
    >>When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up of
    >>available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program
    >>that
    >>I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on
    >>the
    >>Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
    >>under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that
    >>program.
    >>Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
    >>program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with
    >>that
    >>program?
    >>
    >>Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    >>Gino

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Putting a checkmark doesn't help the issue, since the desired program is not
    listed in Open With screen, and the desired program doesn't appear in the
    Open With screen even when I browse it and choose it. It used to appear
    after browsing for it in the past.
    Gino

    "Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
    > - 781 wrote:
    >> Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >>
    >> When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes
    >> up of available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the
    >> program that I want to use, and click Open, that particular program
    >> doesn't appear on the Open With screen. In the past the program that
    >> I browsed, used to appear under Other Programs, and I would be able
    >> to open my file with that program. Has something got corrupted in my
    >> registry? Why am I unable to get any program appear on the screen so
    >> I can choose it and open the file with that program?
    >>
    >> Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    >> Gino
    >
    > Before you opened that file with your desired program did you first put a
    > checkmark in the square for "always use this program for this type file"?
    > If you didn't, that program wouldn't appear as one of your choices in the
    > future. It would be a one-time open with that program and default back
    > the next time to the original program.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Darrell R. Schmidt
    > B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
    > -

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Now we are getting somewhere. It's an AVI file. I'm not familar with BSPlayer but I suspect I know why (esp for multimedia files which is why I kept asking for full details).

    I'm familar with MPlayer so you have to test this hypothsis against the specifics of your program.

    If one wanted to change a file from WMPlayer to MPlayer2 (2 of the 3 media players in XP) then in XP there is an additional registry key that lists what formats a program supports. If not listed (as most programs don't - but MS multimedia programs are) then you can open any file with the program. But if listed only those files listed can be assigned to the program.

    For WMPlayer (Windows Media Player) the key is at
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\SupportedTypes

    Only those extensions listed here can have WMPlayer on the Open With menu. I would imagine BSPlayer is similar and would be something like this
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\BSPlayer.exe\SupportedTypes

    " - 781" <lets@have.org> wrote in message news:OTWdFagrFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > How specific can I be?
    > I listed the steps that have always worked for me before and what I've done,
    > but here it goes again. :)
    >
    > 1. I want to open an .avi file with BSPlayer Pro and not Media Player as
    > it's the default program to play movies.
    > 2. I Right click, Choose Open With, Clicked Browse(because it's not listed
    > in the Open With Screen) and choose the program from Program Files/BSPlayer
    > Pro.
    >
    > Now in the past, when I chose the program, the browse screen would close and
    > the program would appear in the Other Programs section of Open With screen.
    > Now it doesn't appear in that section.
    >
    > I am thinking it's a registry problem.
    > Gino
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > That's not true for Win ME or Win XP
    >
    > If someone ever posts a proper question on this topic I might answer as I
    > suspect I know the cause.But not one person has ever posted a proper problem
    > description.
    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Programs don't appear unless they have an association with a valid
    >> Open action.
    >> Try using Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types to create an
    >> association for the file type you are concerned with.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:28:19 -0700, " - 781"
    >> <lets@have.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >>>
    >>>When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up of
    >>>available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program
    >>>that
    >>>I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on
    >>>the
    >>>Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
    >>>under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that
    >>>program.
    >>>Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
    >>>program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with
    >>>that
    >>>program?
    >>>
    >>>Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    >>>Gino

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You may try to test this on your pc and it should be the same as it was on
    mine.
    If you try to open a JPG file by doing these steps: 1. Select file: Right
    Click>Open With>Choose Program: Click on Browse, and find Notepad.exe. Now
    Notepad.exe, if it wasn't listed in the OPEN WITH screen when you clicked on
    Choose Program, should be listed in the Other Programs section. Even though
    Notepad would not open JPG file, it would just show garbage, it would still
    attempt to open it. My issue is that I am unable to select any kind of
    program, besides BSPlayer to appear in the OPEN WITH screen even after I
    browse for it.
    Here is another example.
    I have installed GSPOT which shows the information of video files.
    It is not listed in Open With, so I click on Choose Program. A screen pops
    up(OPEN WITH) and shows available programs. GSPOT isn't listed there, so I
    click on Browse and search for the executable file. I click on and choose
    OPEN. Now in the past, when I chose OPEN, GSPOT would be listed in the Other
    Programs section together with all my installed programs. It doesn't get
    listed in there anymore. Thus I am unable to choose this particular program.
    I have been thinking that maybe there are specific number of programs that
    can be listed in the OPEN WITH screen(Not in the right click menu, but when
    the OPEN WITH screen pops up.) And when I reach that number, no other
    programs would show up on the OPEN WITH screen. If this is the case, how can
    I eliminate some programs that are listed in the OPEN WITH screen so I can
    have the ones that I want.
    Hope this cleared some things out.

> [...]

    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:28:19 -0700, " - 781"
    >> <lets@have.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all. I was wondering if I could get help on this certain problem.
    >>>
    >>>When I right click on a file, Open with>Choose Program, a list comes up
    >>>of
    >>>available programs to use. When I click on Browse and find the program
    >>>that
    >>>I want to use, and click Open, that particular program doesn't appear on
    >>>the
    >>>Open With screen. In the past the program that I browsed, used to appear
    >>>under Other Programs, and I would be able to open my file with that
    >>>program.
    >>>Has something got corrupted in my registry? Why am I unable to get any
    >>>program appear on the screen so I can choose it and open the file with

  11. Hello!

    This solutions (compiled from several posts in this thread) worked for me:

    It was about another program, but it's not important (sublime_text.exe, for opening *.txt files).

    The problem was that the corresponding --Default-- string from the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sublime_text.exe\shell\open\command pointed to a non-existent path (because I deleted its folder before and re-installed the app in some other place).
    (The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sublime_text.exe\SupportedTypes [suggested as a possible solution to this problem somewhere in this thread] wasn't there, anyway)

    I just had to edit the Default string from the above mentioned key to point to the correct location, and that's it!
    Sublime Text appeared in the Open with programs list at the next right-click on a *.txt file; I didn't even have to browse again for it - it just appeared there, because it was already in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications registry list and now it had a correct path in the sublime_text.exe\shell\open\command key...

    Hope it helps anyone!

Support Microsoft Windows XP