Sign in with
Your question

AMD CPU questions

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2003 5:35:47 AM

I currently have and AMD XP 2500 that maxes out at 2.1Ghz when i overclock it. I have a friend that wants to buy it off of me and i was thinking about getting another one or maybe the AMD XP 2600 barton core. Which of these processors would be better? I'm not sure what stepping is and was wondering if someone could tell me. I've read some peoples comments that if it has good stepping it could overclock higher. How would I know if I have good stepping? Could someone please help? Thanks

My system:
Xaser3 case with Thermaltake 430W PSU
Abit NF7-S v2.0
Corsair 2 X 256MB 3200c2pt
AMD XP 2500 with slk800-u and smartfan 2
ATI 9600 pro

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

More about : amd cpu questions

October 2, 2003 9:41:22 AM

Only 2.1? Have you tried relaxing your cas timing? What fsb and multipliers? If that really is the best your 2500 can do, any other stepping should be an improvement. I was dissapointed because mine only gets to 2.25, but that's with stock fan and voltage.
October 2, 2003 2:45:04 PM

most tbreds max at about 2.3ghz normally not too much higher, and some lower (like yours).

a barton 2600/2500 would be a good upgrade, you should be able to get at least 2.3ghz

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
Related resources
October 2, 2003 4:47:16 PM

The AQXDA, AQXEA and AQXCA are supposed to be the best, but the AQUCA is also pretty good. These are the steppings you were referring to. There are a few sites that let you choose the stepping, otherwise you have to visit the store personally to make sure they give you the correct one. If you live in the USA, <A HREF="http://gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8..." target="_new">here</A> is an online store that specifies what kind of Barton core it sells you. That chip should easily take you up to 2.2GHz (3200+), even more if you are lucky.
October 3, 2003 12:51:02 AM

to answer your question endyen, my cas timing is set for 2.5 and still having trouble getting the cpu any higher. the best settings i was able to get were 200*10.5 @ 1.8v

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
!