HP TFT screens - dead pixels?

Si

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a HP 15" TFT monitor to replace my Pavilion
mx70....

Having had a laptop with a dead pixel before, I'm wondering how many users
of the HP f1523 and it's larger brother the f1723 have experienced dead
pixels?

Si.

Si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering the purchase of a HP 15" TFT monitor to replace my
> Pavilion mx70....
>
> Having had a laptop with a dead pixel before, I'm wondering how many
> users of the HP f1523 and it's larger brother the f1723 have
> experienced dead pixels?
>
> Si.

LCD reliability at the pixel level is vastly greater today than it was
even several years ago. A new, flawless display is the rule.
Nevertheless, at the end of a few months use, I will venture that many,
if not most, LCD displays have at least one dead or hot pixel. On
higher resolution displays, 1280x1024 or greater, the pixels are small
enough that a dead or hot pixel can be hard to see unless the user does
specific tests like solid primary colors, white, or black backgrounds.
After a couple of months of use, most users tend not to notice the
details that a new owner might. One or two bad pixels are almost
inconsequential in a population of one million or more. Screen dust and
dirt are far more annoying problems. Video card/chip failure is
probably the most probable display failure mode if newsgroup postings
are any indicator. IMO.