Problem with Athlonxp 2200+

skruideli

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2003
I bought a Athlonxp2200+ for my computer along with a ATI Radeon 9500 pro, the radeon worked fine but I seem to have a problem with the processor. I am supposed to be able to get its clockspeed up to 1.8 ghz but as I enter bios setup and try to set the FSB to the appropriate (133mhzx2), the maximum frequency allowed by the bios is 113mhzx2 which results around 1800+ (around 1,53 ghz), but I cannot use this freq as the computer tends to hang after a while with these settings, usually failing to get past POST. So far the only freq setting that has been working sufficiently has been at around 1.3 ghz which isnt what I am too pleased with. The motherboard I am using is a MSI 6340. I have already flashed the BIOS to the newest version which didnt change anything, even though the readme on the bios patch said it supports AthlonXP up to 2600+. This is really leaving me puzzled as according to certain programs such as Sisoft sandra tell me that the maximum FSB I can use with the motherboard is 2x133mhz.
any help and advice is appreciated.
P.S sorry if my post isnt grammatically correct, I am not from a english speaking country

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
your board is based on the VIA KT133 Chipset, which does NOT support a CPU FSB of 133Mhz. it supports a RAM frequency of 133Mhz & a CPU FSB of 100Mhz(officially).

Your motherboard cannot handle the chip, you'll need to either buy a 100FSB chip, or buy a newer motherboard.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just double checked, and THG has it listed as a KT133 board. The first VIA chipset to support a 133Mhz FSB was the VIA Apollo KT133<b>A</b>.

I have a board here that uses the same chipset, and it does allow frequencies higher than 100, but at 133 the PCI bus clock is 44Mhz, which is WAY off spec, which is probably what's screwing it up more than the FSB. I do notice however, that at 134Mhz it switches to a different divider and the PCI runs at 34Mhz, which is well within tolerances.

Try setting it to 134 instead of 133, and it <i>might</i> work, if your BIOS allows this, because the PCI bus will be more or less in spec, although you'll technically be overclocking your chipset, but you might get away with it. make sure you set your RAM frequency to just 133Mhz, or just HCLCK (not HCLCK+PCICLK) (exactly what you see depends on your BIOS).

is 113 the highest your BIOS allows, or does is simply fail to work at any higher speed?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

skruideli

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2003
BIOS lets me set it up to 113 but it becomes unbearably unstable, causing the system to hang within the first 5 minutes of the computer being on, from my experience anything above 2x108 mhz just causes a complete system freeze within an hour or so...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you need a different motherboard.

There is a product which will unlock your multiplier for you and allow you to set it at 18x100 MHz, Upgradeware makes such an adapter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>