choosing drives for D.4600

Dell doesn't seem to offer universal DVD burners that burn both
formats, with the D.4600.

If I got: "Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW
Drive" would that 16x DVD-ROM drive be easily replaced with a
purchased universal burner?

This drive: "Single Drive: SAVE $49! 8x DVD+RW Drive [add $21 or
$1/month1]" doesn't do CD-RW, or does it?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

The DVD+RW DOES do CD-RW, but not -R. They're pretty generic drives, so any
commercially available drive with a black face would work.

I go cheap, personally.

Tom
"Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Dell doesn't seem to offer universal DVD burners that burn both
> formats, with the D.4600.
>
> If I got: "Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW
> Drive" would that 16x DVD-ROM drive be easily replaced with a
> purchased universal burner?
>
> This drive: "Single Drive: SAVE $49! 8x DVD+RW Drive [add $21 or
> $1/month1]" doesn't do CD-RW, or does it?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> is valid.

DVD drives have a standard form factor, so you can replace Dell's DVD-ROM
with any standard DVD drive.

Any drive that can read a DVD can also read a CD; any drive that can right
to a DVD can write to a CD.

Ted Zieglar

"Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Dell doesn't seem to offer universal DVD burners that burn both
> formats, with the D.4600.
>
> If I got: "Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW
> Drive" would that 16x DVD-ROM drive be easily replaced with a
> purchased universal burner?
>
> This drive: "Single Drive: SAVE $49! 8x DVD+RW Drive [add $21 or
> $1/month1]" doesn't do CD-RW, or does it?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> is valid.

My XPS came with an NEC DVD burner. I flashed the firmware and it does both
+ and --.

"Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Dell doesn't seem to offer universal DVD burners that burn both
> formats, with the D.4600.
>
> If I got: "Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW
> Drive" would that 16x DVD-ROM drive be easily replaced with a
> purchased universal burner?
>
> This drive: "Single Drive: SAVE $49! 8x DVD+RW Drive [add $21 or
> $1/month1]" doesn't do CD-RW, or does it?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> is valid.

Jan

In article <9bhjd.17113$bP2.1902@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
nospam@hotmail.com says...
> My XPS came with an NEC DVD burner. I flashed the firmware and it does both
> + and --.
>
> "Tim923" <juggler923@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Dell doesn't seem to offer universal DVD burners that burn both
> > formats, with the D.4600.
> >
> > If I got: "Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW
> > Drive" would that 16x DVD-ROM drive be easily replaced with a
> > purchased universal burner?
> >
> > This drive: "Single Drive: SAVE $49! 8x DVD+RW Drive [add $21 or
> > $1/month1]" doesn't do CD-RW, or does it?
> >
> > -
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email
> > is valid.

I have the same NEC - how do I flash the firmware. TIA.
--
Cheers!

Jan

Would I regret it later if I didn't get a universal burner, or should
I be able to get by almost equally as well as with a burner that only
burns +R/RW.

These +R/RW burners are able to read -R/RW, correct?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

"These +R/RW burners are able to read -R/RW, correct?"

Incorrect. They might be able to read some -R/RW depending on the media and
the drive that did the recording, but don't count on it.

No such thing as a "universal" DVD drive - none can accomodate every format
out there. Practically speaking, all you need is +/-R/RW.

Ted Zieglar

> Would I regret it later if I didn't get a universal burner, or should
> I be able to get by almost equally as well as with a burner that only
> burns +R/RW.
>
> These +R/RW burners are able to read -R/RW, correct?
>
> -
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My

NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG - 2.16, 2.17 / 2.06
Beta Region Free (RPC-1) firmware is available here. Patched by The
Dangerous Brothers.
RPC-2

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=23

"Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <9bhjd.17113$bP2.1902@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
> nospam@hotmail.com says...
>> My XPS came with an NEC DVD burner. I flashed the firmware and it does
>> both
>> + and --.
>>>> >

> I have the same NEC - how do I flash the firmware. TIA.
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

begin 666 new4.gif
M1TE&.#EA(P`+`,0``/\``/\/#_L6%/\?'_\O+_\_/_]/3_]?7_]O;_]_?_^/
MC_^?G_^OK_^_O__/S__?W__O[____P``````````````````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'_"TY%5%-#05!%,BXP`P$````A^00@9 ``
M`"P`````(P`+```(J0`!"!Q(L*#!@P,2)!APL*'#@P4B1"AP,$"!`@D1!!!H
M0"$!`!<_$B@@L@`"B10-1HP`06(#``XD2E3 (,(#`"TA`'@0(68$ABHE+J@9