Disk Cleanup

I opened Disk Cleanup from Accessories>System Tools and Temporary Internet
Files is displayed as 0KB. I did not cleanup and closed. Then I opened Disk
Cleanup from Help Support Centre and the Temporary Internet Files is
displayed as 549KB. I assume there is only 1 Disk Cleanup program on my
computer, so why the different results? I have a Dell Dimension 4400 and
Windows XP Home Edition.

Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.

Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.

I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or so
and exits. I also like the fact that, after you set it up, it cleans all
the following with one click (and/or automatically at boot). Makes XP's
Disk Cleanup look like a piker. XP's Disk Cleanup will *not* clean
Content.IE5.

Disk Cleaner will Clean:
Temporary Internet Files {Including the contents of the Content.IE5 folder}
Internet Cookies
Internet History
System Temporary Folder
Recent Documents
Run... Dialog List
Find Document List
Find Computer List
URLs in IE Address Bar
URLs in Shell Address Bar
Media Player Recent URLs
WinZip Recent Files
WinZip Extract To Folders
Paint Recent Files
WordPad Recent Files
Cleans Recycle Bin (what else?)
Opera Cache
Opera Cookies
Opera History
Opera Visited links
Opera Download History and Download folder
Firefox Cache
Firefox Cookies
Firefox History

Disk Cleaner
http://www.robertenfemke.nl/~diskclean/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EB6280D7-D837-4FAB-B230-D2417AD101B4@microsoft.com,
chrisan <chrisan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.
>
> Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.
>
> I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or so

If you have it set to clean the windows temp folder(s) [ie not cache,
but temp/tmp] on startup than thats a big no-no.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

I disable dclean.exe for startup *if* I am installing new software. If
that's what you're referring to. And yes, I learned that the hard way.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4314b548$1$264$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com,
Plato <|@|.|> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.
>>
>> Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.
>>
>> I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or
>> so
>
> If you have it set to clean the windows temp folder(s) [ie not cache,
> but temp/tmp] on startup than thats a big no-no.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Very interesting Wesley and Plato and I'm grateful, but it still doesn't
answer why I get different results when I access Disk Cleanup by the two
methods.

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> I disable dclean.exe for startup *if* I am installing new software. If
> that's what you're referring to. And yes, I learned that the hard way.

Yes that was, what I was "referring" to.

chrisan,

Opening Disk Cleanup from the Start Menu and from Help and Support I saw the
same thing that you did. Two different Temporary Internet Files values.

Try this.

Clear all Temporary Internet Files.
1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box  Delete all offline content
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files

Open the Content.IE5 folder...
Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Click the Folders button to display the Folders pane.
Right click the Content.IE5 folder in the Folders pane and select
Properties.
Look at the Size (My case: 163,907 bytes).
Look at what's in the right hand pane.
Desktop.ini (My case: 67 bytes).
Index.dat (My case: 163,840 bytes).

Open Disk Cleanup From Start Menu.
Disk Cleanup
Temporary Internet Files (My case: 0) It doesn't count index.dat or
Desktop.ini.

Open Disk Cleanup From Help and Support.
Disk Cleanup
Temporary Internet Files (My case: 1KB) My guess is it counts the
Desktop.ini.

In the mean time, Help and Support also added two folders and 4 files to
Content.IE5 just by clicking on Open Disk Cleanup under Using Disk Cleanup.
Yes, Help and Support, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and other programs
add to Temporary Internet Files and Content.IE5.

Some conclusions:
• There are still things happening while one is performing the above steps.
Windows has not stopped while all of this is going on. This is dynamic
not static.

• Disk Cleanup does *not* cleanout all the files and folders in Content.IE5.
I don't know what it uses as criteria. Disk Cleanup uses a registry
key set to 7 days for cleaning Temporary files (%TEMP% or %TMP%). Files
must be older than 7 days before Disk Cleanup deletes them. This can be
changed in the registry. It must use some similar mechanism for Temporary
Internet Files.

• Disk Cleanup *does* clean out %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files.

• If you want to clear the CONTENT.IE5 completely, you must use the Delete
all offline content option. If something is open that adds files to
Temporary Internet Files or Content.IE5, not everything will be cleared.

I simply do not waste my time with Disk Cleanup any more. It's lame.

Who cares why the results are different, clean everything out and it doesn't
matter.

Also while writing this message (Outlook Express) right now I have 82
temporary files @ 243,835 bytes Just related to this message. OE creates a
zero byte file for every message read. Plus wbkXX.tmp files when you Save a
message that you're working on, every time you hit Save.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:39DCB98B-237C-4779-8FC6-A0F571224FFF@microsoft.com,
chrisan <chrisan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Very interesting Wesley and Plato and I'm grateful, but it still doesn't
> answer why I get different results when I access Disk Cleanup by the two
> methods.

Thank you Wesley for your comprehensive reply. Excellent!