Disk Cleanup

I opened Disk Cleanup from Accessories>System Tools and Temporary Internet
Files is displayed as 0KB. I did not cleanup and closed. Then I opened Disk
Cleanup from Help Support Centre and the Temporary Internet Files is
displayed as 549KB. I assume there is only 1 Disk Cleanup program on my
computer, so why the different results? I have a Dell Dimension 4400 and
Windows XP Home Edition.
7 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup

    Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.

    Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.

    I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or so
    and exits. I also like the fact that, after you set it up, it cleans all
    the following with one click (and/or automatically at boot). Makes XP's
    Disk Cleanup look like a piker. XP's Disk Cleanup will *not* clean
    Content.IE5.

    Disk Cleaner will Clean:
    Temporary Internet Files {Including the contents of the Content.IE5 folder}
    Internet Cookies
    Internet History
    System Temporary Folder
    Recent Documents
    Run... Dialog List
    Find Document List
    Find Computer List
    URLs in IE Address Bar
    URLs in Shell Address Bar
    Media Player Recent URLs
    WinZip Recent Files
    WinZip Extract To Folders
    Paint Recent Files
    WordPad Recent Files
    Cleans Recycle Bin (what else?)
    Opera Cache
    Opera Cookies
    Opera History
    Opera Visited links
    Opera Download History and Download folder
    Firefox Cache
    Firefox Cookies
    Firefox History

    Disk Cleaner
    http://www.robertenfemke.nl/~diskclean/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EB6280D7-D837-4FAB-B230-D2417AD101B4@microsoft.com,
    chrisan <chrisan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel wrote:

    > Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.
    >
    > Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.
    >
    > I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or so

    If you have it set to clean the windows temp folder(s) [ie not cache,
    but temp/tmp] on startup than thats a big no-no.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I disable dclean.exe for startup *if* I am installing new software. If
    that's what you're referring to. And yes, I learned that the hard way.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4314b548$1$264$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com,
    Plato <|@|.|> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't waste your time with Disk Cleanup.
    >>
    >> Get Disk Cleaner, it's free.
    >>
    >> I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 5 seconds or
    >> so
    >
    > If you have it set to clean the windows temp folder(s) [ie not cache,
    > but temp/tmp] on startup than thats a big no-no.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Very interesting Wesley and Plato and I'm grateful, but it still doesn't
    answer why I get different results when I access Disk Cleanup by the two
    methods.

    Wesley Vogel wrote:

    > I disable dclean.exe for startup *if* I am installing new software. If
    > that's what you're referring to. And yes, I learned that the hard way.

    Yes that was, what I was "referring" to.

    chrisan,

    Opening Disk Cleanup from the Start Menu and from Help and Support I saw the
    same thing that you did. Two different Temporary Internet Files values.

    Try this.

    Clear all Temporary Internet Files.
    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box  Delete all offline content
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files

    Open the Content.IE5 folder...
    Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK...

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

    Click the Folders button to display the Folders pane.
    Right click the Content.IE5 folder in the Folders pane and select
    Properties.
    Look at the Size (My case: 163,907 bytes).
    Look at what's in the right hand pane.
    Desktop.ini (My case: 67 bytes).
    Index.dat (My case: 163,840 bytes).

    Open Disk Cleanup From Start Menu.
    Disk Cleanup
    Temporary Internet Files (My case: 0) It doesn't count index.dat or
    Desktop.ini.

    Open Disk Cleanup From Help and Support.
    Disk Cleanup
    Temporary Internet Files (My case: 1KB) My guess is it counts the
    Desktop.ini.

    In the mean time, Help and Support also added two folders and 4 files to
    Content.IE5 just by clicking on Open Disk Cleanup under Using Disk Cleanup.
    Yes, Help and Support, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and other programs
    add to Temporary Internet Files and Content.IE5.

    Some conclusions:
    • There are still things happening while one is performing the above steps.
    Windows has not stopped while all of this is going on. This is dynamic
    not static.

    • Disk Cleanup does *not* cleanout all the files and folders in Content.IE5.
    I don't know what it uses as criteria. Disk Cleanup uses a registry
    key set to 7 days for cleaning Temporary files (%TEMP% or %TMP%). Files
    must be older than 7 days before Disk Cleanup deletes them. This can be
    changed in the registry. It must use some similar mechanism for Temporary
    Internet Files.

    • Disk Cleanup *does* clean out %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files.

    • If you want to clear the CONTENT.IE5 completely, you must use the Delete
    all offline content option. If something is open that adds files to
    Temporary Internet Files or Content.IE5, not everything will be cleared.

    I simply do not waste my time with Disk Cleanup any more. It's lame.

    Who cares why the results are different, clean everything out and it doesn't
    matter.

    Also while writing this message (Outlook Express) right now I have 82
    temporary files @ 243,835 bytes Just related to this message. OE creates a
    zero byte file for every message read. Plus wbkXX.tmp files when you Save a
    message that you're working on, every time you hit Save.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:39DCB98B-237C-4779-8FC6-A0F571224FFF@microsoft.com,
    chrisan <chrisan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Very interesting Wesley and Plato and I'm grateful, but it still doesn't
    > answer why I get different results when I access Disk Cleanup by the two
    > methods.

    Thank you Wesley for your comprehensive reply. Excellent!

Disk Cleanup Internet Windows XP