Q: Wireless router to go with Dell laptop with Truemobile ..

Hi,
I would like to get a wireless wouter for home use and I'm
currently using a C840 with Truemobile 1150 mini-PCI card. I'd like to
choose the appropriate router for my wireless card (as well as for my
Dell desktop system).

The impression I get is that a 802.11G router will not be terribly
useful for a card that doesn't support the protocol, so I might save
some money with a B router. My first instinct was just to go with a
Linksys router, but I wanted to check and make sure if there any any
caveats I'm not aware of from people who have done this before. So,
any recommendations on the router? Ease of setup/security control?

TIA,
-Mark

you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your since
you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say that a
'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card... the
only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as your
internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of other
good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just $30
after rebate from amazon...

> you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your since
> you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say that
> 'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card... the
> only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
> wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as
your
> internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
> transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of other
> good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just $30
> after rebate from amazon...

<snip>

Agreed to all that's in the post. However, I would add DLink to the list,
as I've experienced good things with their products as well. I would also
compare prices between the "b" and "g" routers.

I purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router (802.11g) from newegg.com just a
couple of weeks ago. My logic was that for the $10 more than the comparable
'b" DLink, it would pay for itself in the long haul as standards naturally
progress. The owner is not even using the wireless feature now, but will
likely buy a notebook in a year or so ( along with a "g" card). (Here at the
house I have a hard-wired DLink DI-604 that's performed admirably.)

Netgear, Linksys, and DLink all make a solid product.

Good luck.

Stew

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I do not recommend Linksys anymore after my last experience with their "g"
wireless router and PCI "g" card. Signal strength was poor (70-80%), even
close (6 feet!) and on the same floor level. Connectivity was not stable on
different floors.

I used Netgear wireless router and card and got great connectivity even on
different floors.

YMMV

> you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your since
> you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say that
> 'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card... the
> only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
> wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as
your
> internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
> transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of other
> good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just $30
> after rebate from amazon...
>
> "Mark Bray" <bray@NOSPAMvuse.vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I would like to get a wireless wouter for home use and I'm
> > currently using a C840 with Truemobile 1150 mini-PCI card. I'd like to
> > choose the appropriate router for my wireless card (as well as for my
> > Dell desktop system).
> >
> > The impression I get is that a 802.11G router will not be terribly
> > useful for a card that doesn't support the protocol, so I might save
> > some money with a B router. My first instinct was just to go with a
> > Linksys router, but I wanted to check and make sure if there any any
> > caveats I'm not aware of from people who have done this before. So,
> > any recommendations on the router? Ease of setup/security control?
> >
> > TIA,
> > -Mark

> you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your since
> you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say that
> 'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card... the
> only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
> wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as
your
> internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
> transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of other
> good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just $30
> after rebate from amazon...

I think a G router would provide utility to him in the form of better
security. There are few B routers out there that offer WPA whereas many, if
not most of the G routers do, and the 1150 is compatible with WPA-PSK using
the latest drivers IIRC.

goop

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I used to recommend netgear routers to everyone I knew. i have a netgear
mr314 wireless b router that works very well.

Like I said, I used to recommend them. now I no longer do, because
apparently they no longer offer free tech support. after the first 90 days
of ownership of the router, you have to pay for support. the only way to
avoid paying the fee is if there is an actual problem with netgears products
and they have to send a replacement. even then, they will still charge your
card and then simply reverse the fee.

I never call tech support unless there's something wrong that has to be
fixed through replacement. being forced to pay to talk to someone to issue
an RMA for something that is still in warranty is unacceptable. If a
company wants to make up for the costs of its call center, it should roll
those costs into the price, not force customers to pay for it before their
warranty period is up.

"Shiranui Gen-An" <shiranuigenan@supamu-ga-kirai-da.bellsouth.net> wrote in
message news:wR4oc.150327$Yw5.5832@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your
since
> > you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say
that
> > 'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card...
the
> > only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
> > wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as
> your
> > internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
> > transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of
other
> > good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just
$30
> > after rebate from amazon...
>
> I think a G router would provide utility to him in the form of better
> security. There are few B routers out there that offer WPA whereas many,
if
> not most of the G routers do, and the 1150 is compatible with WPA-PSK
using
> the latest drivers IIRC.

Most routers are a "no brainer" to set up. Just plug them in and they
work. Often no need to run the router installation software. I would guess
that most calls to their tech support are the result of user error. If the
user would read the manual (RTFM) they would have no need to call tech
support. I can't fault Netgear. It makes sense.

> Most routers are a "no brainer" to set up. Just plug them in and they
> work. Often no need to run the router installation software. I would
> guess
> that most calls to their tech support are the result of user error. If
> the
> user would read the manual (RTFM) they would have no need to call tech
> support. I can't fault Netgear. It makes sense.

<snip>

Especially where WinXP is involved, they are ridiculously easy to set up -
nearly plug and play.

However, on both DLinks that I've set up, I ran into minor glitches (due to
my own ignorance) that their support people were able to e-mail suggestions
and help me solve promptly.

Stew