poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Just been fidling around with an old system I have sitting around at home in the last few days. It is a duron 800 on a Giga-SHYTE ..... i mean byte, GA-7Ixe4 board. I had it set up as a dual boot xp / mandrake machine which I used primarily as a linux box just to do some perl. In any case a friend of mine gave me a duron 1300 that he had no use for any more so i decided I would give the old beast a shot in the arm. I put it in and booted, the system posts and detects the cpu as a duron 1300, does the memory check and detects hd and cd roms then stops and wont load further . No beeps just sits there with a blinking cursor under the cdrom information. I can access the bios and the temp sits at approx 55*C which is quite warm but the duron 1300 are supposed to run quite hot(the duron 800 ran at approx 50*C) I have the latest bios installed and have also tried reducing the fsb to 95 and 90mhz to reduce the temp but the result is the same. I noticed however that the voltages coming from the power supply differ quite a bit from what they are supposed to be the -12v rail and the -5v rail are showing approx -12.7 and -5.5 . Is this simply a case of a dodgy PSU causing the problem or could it be something else . The duron 800 still runs fine however so Anyone with any ideas ???

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
yeah my friend wanted to keep the HSF that he had on it so I just got the cpu, was free so can't ague with that really! In any case the temp is only 6-7*c higher then the 800 so I dont think the heat is the prob especially seeing as when I dropped the fsb to 90mhz (1170mhz) it was pretty close to the same temp as the 800 .

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!