VIRUS: W32.Desktophijack infected /windows/system32/winine..

I followed Norton and the one thing I can't fix is the wininet.DLL. It runs
in safe mode and will not delete. How do I get this thing out? I fixed the
registry(Norton instructions) and cleaned everything else. When windows XP
Pro starts, I get a message that "sysinit32z.exe cannot be found. Should I
put down the hijackthis log in here too??
Regards Rick
3 answers Last reply
More about virus desktophijack infected windows system32 winine

    analog414 wrote:

    > I followed Norton and the one thing I can't fix is the wininet.DLL. It
    > runs in safe mode and will not delete. How do I get this thing out? I
    > fixed the registry(Norton instructions) and cleaned everything else.
    > When windows XP Pro starts, I get a message that "sysinit32z.exe
    > cannot be found. Should I put down the hijackthis log in here too??
    > Regards Rick

    Here are instructions to replace wininet.dll:

    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=252803

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Please consult the experts in the virus removal newsgroup:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    From: "analog414" <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I followed Norton and the one thing I can't fix is the wininet.DLL. It runs
    | in safe mode and will not delete. How do I get this thing out? I fixed the
    | registry(Norton instructions) and cleaned everything else. When windows XP
    | Pro starts, I get a message that "sysinit32z.exe cannot be found. Should I
    | put down the hijackthis log in here too??
    | Regards Rick

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    Besides Malke's instructions. I suggest performing scan using other AV vendor scanners.
    The following tool provides scanners for; McAfe, Trend Micro and Sophos.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT