Hiding Partitions from limited access Users - XP PRO

INFO

I'm looking to hide my business and accounts partitions from the
limited user accounts on my XP Pro accounts.
I know there's a way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me
remember how to do it.

Download and install TweakUI:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
TweakUI. Expand 'My Computer', click on 'Drives', then uncheck the
drives you wish to hide.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rich Cowell" wrote:

| I'm looking to hide my business and accounts partitions from the
| limited user accounts on my XP Pro accounts.
| I know there's a way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me
| remember how to do it.

Gordon

<info@richcowell.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm looking to hide my business and accounts partitions from the
> limited user accounts on my XP Pro accounts.
> I know there's a way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me
> remember how to do it.

Gordon

<info@richcowell.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm looking to hide my business and accounts partitions from the
> limited user accounts on my XP Pro accounts.
> I know there's a way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me
> remember how to do it.

Just deny the users access. You'll need to turn off simple file sharing, and
the folders won't be hidden, but the users won't be able to access them.

info@richcowell.co.uk wrote:
> I'm looking to hide my business and accounts partitions from the
> limited user accounts on my XP Pro accounts.
> I know there's a way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me
> remember how to do it.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: