HP7010EU and mini-pci slot

lee

Hi all

A warning more than anything

I bought an HP7010EU laptop intending to add a mini-pci card once I decided
which flavour of wireless to go with. After choosing 802.11g for
compatibity rather than preference (802.11a), I bought an Intel 2200BG
mini-pci card.

After installing and connecting up the antenna wires, a BIOS message advises
me of unsupported wireless hardware in mini-pci slot, system halted, Remove
from system and reboot.

After calls to HP, it seems the BIOS is not restricted (I think it is) to a
particular brand/model of mini-pci card. The upshot is my Intel card (known
to work in my older Dell) is useless.

This also means that the only way to update the wireless capability of the
laptop is via USB dongle or PCMCIA When the faster standards appears, you
cannot replace the internal card with a card supporting faster standards.

I found this annoying as I would expect ANY mini-pci device to work as long
as a device driver exists. This restriction on the mini-pci slot is not
documented anywhere. I asked HP to include this as a support note on their
website.

Hope this helps anyone from spending money on a mini-pci card for their
HP7010EU laptop.

Lee

Various country regulatory agencies have started to require HP to make sure
that only approved radios devices work with the antennas installed in HP
notebooks. The BIOS checks the device in the MiniPCI slot and if it is not
a approved radio, it refuses to boot the machine.

All HP notebooks currently have a 11b/11g option.

Phil

"Lee" <lwoody@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> A warning more than anything
>
> I bought an HP7010EU laptop intending to add a mini-pci card once I
> decided
> which flavour of wireless to go with. After choosing 802.11g for
> compatibity rather than preference (802.11a), I bought an Intel 2200BG
> mini-pci card.
>
> After installing and connecting up the antenna wires, a BIOS message
> advises
> me of unsupported wireless hardware in mini-pci slot, system halted,
> Remove
> from system and reboot.
>
> After calls to HP, it seems the BIOS is not restricted (I think it is) to
> particular brand/model of mini-pci card. The upshot is my Intel card
> (known
> to work in my older Dell) is useless.
>
> This also means that the only way to update the wireless capability of the
> laptop is via USB dongle or PCMCIA When the faster standards appears, you
> cannot replace the internal card with a card supporting faster standards.
>
> I found this annoying as I would expect ANY mini-pci device to work as
> long
> as a device driver exists. This restriction on the mini-pci slot is not
> documented anywhere. I asked HP to include this as a support note on
> their
> website.
>
> Hope this helps anyone from spending money on a mini-pci card for their
> HP7010EU laptop.
>
> Lee

lee

...so if I bought a mini-pci card from a UK retailer - shouldn't that work in
my UK laptop?

"Philip Doragh" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Various country regulatory agencies have started to require HP to make
sure
> that only approved radios devices work with the antennas installed in HP
> notebooks. The BIOS checks the device in the MiniPCI slot and if it is
not
> a approved radio, it refuses to boot the machine.
>
> All HP notebooks currently have a 11b/11g option.
>
> Phil
>
> "Lee" <lwoody@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > A warning more than anything
> >
> > I bought an HP7010EU laptop intending to add a mini-pci card once I
> > decided
> > which flavour of wireless to go with. After choosing 802.11g for
> > compatibity rather than preference (802.11a), I bought an Intel 2200BG
> > mini-pci card.
> >
> > After installing and connecting up the antenna wires, a BIOS message
> > advises
> > me of unsupported wireless hardware in mini-pci slot, system halted,
> > Remove
> > from system and reboot.
> >
> > After calls to HP, it seems the BIOS is not restricted (I think it is)
> > particular brand/model of mini-pci card. The upshot is my Intel card
> > (known
> > to work in my older Dell) is useless.
> >
> > This also means that the only way to update the wireless capability of
the
> > laptop is via USB dongle or PCMCIA When the faster standards appears,
you
> > cannot replace the internal card with a card supporting faster
standards.

> > I found this annoying as I would expect ANY mini-pci device to work as
> > long
> > as a device driver exists. This restriction on the mini-pci slot is not
> > documented anywhere. I asked HP to include this as a support note on
> > their
> > website.
> >
> > Hope this helps anyone from spending money on a mini-pci card for their
> > HP7010EU laptop.
> >
> > Lee

Only if you brought a mini-PCI card that was certified with the laptop.
Only HP sells mini-PCI cards that are certified with HP laptops.

> ..so if I bought a mini-pci card from a UK retailer - shouldn't that work
> in
> my UK laptop?

TRENDING THREADS