Where's the P4 EE?

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
When is the new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition going to be available? Will it be OEM, or are retail versions going to be sold?

Thanks.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Both shortly I do beleive middle towards the end of October.

~Jeremy
Unofficial Intel PR Spokesman.(nVidia fill in rep for CoolSquirtle)

:evil: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up In My Buddies Face!!!</A> :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait, are you saying the P4EE won't come out until the Prescott release 12-03-03?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Any ideas on pricing for the EE's or speeds they plan to go down to?

<font color=purple>A7n8xDX2.0|B2500+@200x11=3200+(2.2ghz)(1.775v)Corsair512twinxpc3200llpt(2-2-2-6)R9700P(stock)160Gx2WD7200RPM 8MB HD|Enermax460W|T:43C@N,50C@FL,MB 28C|3DMark2001 17087|3DMark2003 5134</font color=purple>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
As far as I know every P4EE will be 80-120 ish more then the equally clocked version it proceeds.

I'm not to sure on the price after the Prescott is released. In theory they could offer the Prescott at a lower prices than the P4EE to get rid of the excess stock and to appeal to hardcore enthusiasts.

Its sounds fairly straight forward but well have to wait and see.

There was prices of the P4EE and the Prescott floating around I didnt pay much attention so the never got bookmarked for reference.

~Jeremy
Unofficial Intel PR Spokesman. (nVidia fill in rep for CoolSquirtle)

:evil: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up In My Buddies Face!!!</A> :evil:

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
The Prescott will be out in December? I thought it was scheduled for Q1 2004? If it really does hit market before Christmas I guess I'll buy it instead. Is it Socket 478?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
prescott will be released by december 3rd; however, widespread availability is not expected until Q1 2004. It is still socket 478, but just for a little while. This socket will soon be replaced by a new one...

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I can wait until Christmas. I'm on a really, really old computer that can barely word process without lagging, but I can live with it for an extra month or two if it means getting a newer CPU.

So December 3? Do you think I'll actually be able to get my hands on one a short time after? I can't find a single 9800XT, and those just came out a few days ago.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I think buying a Prescott as soon as it's released, sometime in December or January, is the worse decision you can ever make. Socket 478 won't be here for very long, so you will end up with a system that can't be upgraded, not to mention how much you will have to pay to get a Prescott. Also the P4EE doesn't worth it either. I can't even imagine spending $700+ for a processor! I usually pay that money for a CPU, mobo, and memory .. all together!

I have a suggestion though but I don't know if it is too extreme :) Go buy a system with a Barton 2500+ which you can overclock to 3200+. This will cost you very very little. Then sometime in summer next year, you can either choose Athlon 64 FX (939 pin) or Prescott, when both chips are mature enough and all their problems are solved out (e.g. heat), plus prices will come down. Or the current A64 3200+ seems like a very nice choice.

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Your suggestion is a good one, but there's one thing you must understand - I almost never upgrade. I don't know why, but aside from some extra ram, a necessary new hardrive, and a CD burner the computer I'm typing on right now is the same one I bought 6 years ago.

In my mindset right now (which is bound to change) I'll buy a good non-EE P4 soon, and hopefully catching some price cuts. Then I'll skip the Prescott and maybe, just maybe upgrade when second generation Tejas hits market. I don't want to get a processor that's too old now because if I don't upgrade (which is probable) this computer will age even worse than my 300 MHz POS, which was top of the line at the time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The first Prescotts will be Socket 478 and may go as high as 4GHz (I'm seeing sites report 2.8-3.8GHz models but I think it's all speculation). Buying one would actually be an excellent decision, but not at the time of release. Instead it would be a better decision financially to get a Prescott S478 after the newer ones are released and the price on the old models drops.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't want to buy a P4EE, but it doesn't make sense for Intel to release the P4EE at the same time as the Prescott, because this processor is supposed to be the one they use to maintain their top rung status UNTIL the Prescott replaces it.

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I've never overclocked before, and to tell you the truth I'm a bit wary of doing it. This is the first PC I'm building on my own, let me walk before I run! :)

As of right now I'm probably going with this rig:

Intel Pentium 4 processor @ 3 GHz
D865 PERL
Radeon 9800 XT
Seagate Barracuda 7200 160GB
2 x Corsair CM64SD512-3200

I can get that plus the other things I'll need for a hair over 1500, is that a fair price?

Looks too me their using P4EE for highend use and gaming. To match FX51. Now with Tejas due next year looks like Scotty is going to be a stop gap. Now it looks like Scotty will top at 4 Ghz instead of 5-5.5.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Tejas is gonna be tight 32bit ALU's a addition FPU advant to better power management, scalbility transition to 0.65u, better clock skew, larger caches.

~Jeremy
Unofficial Intel PR Spokesman. (nVidia fill in rep for CoolSquirtle)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was under the impression it was released to fill in the gap until the Prescott release.

RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
You sure (about the $170 P4)? Then that's when I'm buying.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RiZ on 10/05/03 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>