gilgamesh

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004

I've gotten used to hearing "You've got mail" and the chimes when Windows
boots up and shuts down. Now I don't. What's the problem and how might I fix
it?

Thanks

"gilgamesh" <gilgamesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've gotten used to hearing "You've got mail" and the chimes when Windows
> boots up and shuts down. Now I don't. What's the problem and how might I
> fix
> it?
>
> Thanks

Goodness, there are a multitude of possibilities. Start by looking at the
speakers. Are they the kind that take batteries, or the plug in kind. Make
sure they are powered up, most of them have a led light, is it lit? Now
trace the wire to the computer. Is it intact, and plugged into the right
spot? If you have a set of earphones plug them in and see if you hear
anything through them, which will tell you it's a problem with the speakers.
Speakers are fairly cheap.

If still nothing, click on the speaker icon, and make sure you don't have
the "mute" radio button pushed. If you do, unclick it. While you are
there, make sure the volume is turned up to where you can hear it.

Try those first, if it still is silent, post back.