Upgrading a Dimension 8100 to Windows XP - advice?

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 currently running Windows ME, which I'm
planning on upgrading to XP using an upgrade edition of either XP Home or XP
Pro (probably not bought from Dell). I've been doing a little internet
research in preparation, but there are still a few issues I haven't found
definitive answers to. Can anyone give me some advice on the following?

1) Updating the BIOS - is this really necessary? Dell's XP prep tool tells
me I have BIOS version A07 and that I need to update it (although it doesn't
tell me what to update it to). I'm very wary of BIOS updates and would
rather not do it unless it's vital. What problems can I expect if I upgrade
to XP leaving my BIOS at version A07?

2) If I do a clean install from an upgrade version of XP it will ask for my
previous OS CD to prove that I qualify for the upgrade. Will the
"Reinstallation CD" provided by Dell suffice for this?

3) Software - Will the Dell Installed WinDVD 2000 version 3.0, Adaptec Easy
CD 4.04_d10 and DirectCD 3.04_d10 work on XP? If not are there updates that
will allow them to do so?

4) Are there any other issues I should be aware of? My system:

Dell Dimension 8100
1.7GHz Pentium IV
256MB 800MHz Rambus RDRAM
60GB Turbo Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Dell P791 UltraScan 17" Trinitron monitor
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce3 4xAGP
16x DVDROM
12x IDE CD-RW
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Harman Kardon 695 speakers
Dell V90 56k Lucent Win Modem
3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

I've downloaded XP drivers for most of these from Dell's site (although I've
yet to find one for the modem - could this be a problem?)

Any Dell-specific advice on performing this upgrade, or comments from anyone
who has done the same on a similar system, would be most welcome!

Thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrading dimension 8100 windows advice

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dimension 8100 currently running Windows ME, which I'm
    >planning on upgrading to XP using an upgrade edition of either XP Home or XP
    >Pro (probably not bought from Dell). I've been doing a little internet
    >research in preparation, but there are still a few issues I haven't found
    >definitive answers to. Can anyone give me some advice on the following?

    >1) Updating the BIOS - is this really necessary? Dell's XP prep tool tells
    >me I have BIOS version A07 and that I need to update it (although it doesn't
    >tell me what to update it to). I'm very wary of BIOS updates and would
    >rather not do it unless it's vital. What problems can I expect if I upgrade
    >to XP leaving my BIOS at version A07?

    If you have a BB connection, go to

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    for the Windows Upgrade Advisor.

    It will run on your machine and tell you whether or not your
    current BIOS is OK, as well as looking at everything else on your
    machine to tell you of driver updates, program patches, etc.,
    needed.

    >2) If I do a clean install from an upgrade version of XP it will ask for my
    >previous OS CD to prove that I qualify for the upgrade. Will the
    >"Reinstallation CD" provided by Dell suffice for this?

    It will.

    >3) Software - Will the Dell Installed WinDVD 2000 version 3.0, Adaptec Easy
    >CD 4.04_d10 and DirectCD 3.04_d10 work on XP? If not are there updates that
    >will allow them to do so?

    >4) Are there any other issues I should be aware of? My system:

    >Dell Dimension 8100
    >1.7GHz Pentium IV
    >256MB 800MHz Rambus RDRAM
    >60GB Turbo Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    >Dell P791 UltraScan 17" Trinitron monitor
    >64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce3 4xAGP
    >16x DVDROM
    >12x IDE CD-RW
    >Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
    >Harman Kardon 695 speakers
    >Dell V90 56k Lucent Win Modem
    >3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    is fine, and although XP, Home or Pro will do OK in 256MB [I ran
    Pro for a year with it], you will notice a difference with an
    upgrade to 512MB [at least I certainly did.]

    >I've downloaded XP drivers for most of these from Dell's site (although I've
    >yet to find one for the modem - could this be a problem?)

    The modem on my DL733r had no problems, and that was older than
    your 8100. ;->

    >Any Dell-specific advice on performing this upgrade, or comments from anyone
    >who has done the same on a similar system, would be most welcome!

    Look carefully at the "decision list" for Home vs Pro on the MS
    XP web site. I went Pro primarily because telecommuting required
    me to be able to set up a Domain to connect to a work-site
    network, rather than going with a basic workgroup as my home
    network had been. I have never used any off the other features
    Pro offers that Home doesn't. But you might need one of them.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    1. You should upgrade to the latest BIOS, which you can find on Dell's web
    site, before you upgrade to XP.You can expect no problems from a BIOS
    upgrade if you are careful to follow the directions and have a UPS.

    2. Yes - no problem.

    3. You'll need to upgrade to XP-compatible versions of all your software and
    drivers. Drivers are available from the hardware manufacturers' web sites.
    You may have to purchase upgraded software. Adaptec Easy CD Creator was
    purchased by Roxio and is now in version 7 (Roxio Easy Media 7). However,
    if you can find Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, that will work fine with XP. You
    should obtain the program update from Roxio's web site.

    I don't use WinDVD so I can't help you there.

    4. Dell has tons of good information on their web site that will help you
    through the upgrade. Check out the Knowledge Base and don't forget the Dell
    Community Forums. Here's something to start you off:

    "Upgrade Your Operating System"
    http://support.dell.com/upgrades/OperatingSystem.aspx

    Here are two things you need to know:
    1. Backup every file and folder that is important to you before you start.
    Backing up is like kissing - the more you do it, the better you feel.
    2. Don't upgrade over a problem - if your ME installation is not stable and
    reliable, upgrading will not cure the problems and might even make them
    worse. Do a clean install instead.

    You're someone who likes to prepare well, and for that reason I predict a
    smooth and successful experience.

    Rocky

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > Thanks.

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8100 currently running Windows ME, which I'm
    > planning on upgrading to XP using an upgrade edition of either XP Home or
    XP
    > Pro (probably not bought from Dell). I've been doing a little internet
    > research in preparation, but there are still a few issues I haven't found
    > definitive answers to. Can anyone give me some advice on the following?
    >
    > 1) Updating the BIOS - is this really necessary? Dell's XP prep tool
    tells
    > me I have BIOS version A07 and that I need to update it (although it
    doesn't
    > tell me what to update it to). I'm very wary of BIOS updates and would
    > rather not do it unless it's vital. What problems can I expect if I

    I'd think you should be fine. The prep/evaluation tools have been known to
    be in error regarding this. (see Dim XPS B)

    > 2) If I do a clean install from an upgrade version of XP it will ask for
    my
    > previous OS CD to prove that I qualify for the upgrade. Will the
    > "Reinstallation CD" provided by Dell suffice for this?

    Yes.

    > 3) Software - Will the Dell Installed WinDVD 2000 version 3.0, Adaptec
    Easy
    > CD 4.04_d10 and DirectCD 3.04_d10 work on XP? If not are there updates
    that
    > will allow them to do so?

    I'd expect so. You may want the DVD software added, but Window XP has it's
    own native CD burning rom, a form of Roxio (formerly adaptec).

    > 4) Are there any other issues I should be aware of? My system:

    It would be nice if you had at least 512mb of RAM, but 256mb will certainly
    work. Be prepared to find the device driver for the "e-support" button on
    your system's front panel.

    > Dell Dimension 8100
    > 1.7GHz Pentium IV
    > 256MB 800MHz Rambus RDRAM
    > 60GB Turbo Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    > Dell P791 UltraScan 17" Trinitron monitor
    > 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce3 4xAGP
    > 16x DVDROM
    > 12x IDE CD-RW
    > Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
    > Harman Kardon 695 speakers
    > Dell V90 56k Lucent Win Modem
    > 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
    >
    > I've downloaded XP drivers for most of these from Dell's site (although
    I've
    > yet to find one for the modem - could this be a problem?)

    WinXP is outstanding in providing native drivers for most installed devices.
    I would, however, disconnect all external hardware other than monitor, kb,
    and mouse during the install.

    > Any Dell-specific advice on performing this upgrade, or comments from
    anyone
    > who has done the same on a similar system, would be most welcome!

    I can think of at least one user here who's running a Dim8100 here with XP
    and is very pleased with it.

    Good luck and enjoy. Celebrate your freedom from WinMe.....

    Stew

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    I am running an 8100 in dual boot configuration, booting both XP and ME.

    > 1) Updating the BIOS

    B8100 09.exe is the latest bios flash for ME
    B81XPP2.exe is the latest for XP

    I ran A09 after installing XP for a long time without issues on either OS.
    Eventually, I flashed up to X2 and it works fine for both OSs as well. I
    would go ahead and flash up to X2 BIOS after you have run XP a while. You
    may want to flash up to A09 before you start. As I said A09 and X2 both
    worked well here.

    You will probably want to verify that you are in possession the latest
    chipset, USB, Lucent and 3Com and Turtle Beach XP drivers as well. Check
    the Dell site. As someone else stated, XP is very good at identifying and
    installing native MS drivers for your hardware. It's just good to have the
    Dell OEM stuff on hand if needed. My Nvidia gave me now issues, however,
    running windows update on XP for the first time did offer a up new
    software.driver update which I took.

    > 2) If I do a clean install from an upgrade version of XP it will ask for
    my
    > previous OS CD to prove that I qualify for the upgrade. Will the
    > "Reinstallation CD" provided by Dell suffice for this?

    Yes. This is no problem.

    > 3) Software - Will the Dell Installed WinDVD 2000 version 3.0, Adaptec
    Easy
    > CD 4.04_d10 and DirectCD 3.04_d10 work on XP? If not are there updates
    that
    > will allow them to do so?

    Yes. They will work fine. The only proviso is that if you were doing an
    upgrade, as opposed to a clean install, you would need to uninstall the
    Adaptec/Roxio programs, install XP, and reinstall Adeotec/Rocio. Since you
    are doing a clean install, always a good idea, this will be done
    automagically.

    > 4) Are there any other issues I should be aware of? My system:

    I had an issue with needing new software for my Soundbaster Live card but
    you are running Turtle Beach so you should be OK.

    > Any Dell-specific advice on performing this upgrade, or comments from
    anyone
    > who has done the same on a similar system, would be most welcome!

    Have a good time with it. My install was complicated somewhat by
    partitioning and dual boot issues, and still it was no problem. You will
    like XP I think. Spend the extra bucks and go for Pro. I went with Home and
    it is very limited with respect to certain networking issues. I have come to
    regret that decision and will be upgrading to Pro soon.

    Good Luck!

    --
    "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know
    about yourself. ~ Lois McMaster Bujold, "A Civil Campaign" - 1999

    Bernard F. Corson BFCorsonNO@SPAMatt.net

    My Dimension 8100 appears quite similar to yours, but must be older because
    the BIOS version is only around A05 - I'm on my laptop right now. I did
    not upgrade the BIOS because I went with dual booting and was afraid the XP
    BIOS update might interfer with the WinME functioning. All ran fine with
    WinXP with that BIOS that I have never updated.

    I did a clean install of WinXP and used a free Adaptec update they had on
    their web site. I was then using Norton AV and I think it might have
    required an update (but that was a couple years ago).

    Other than possibly needing to update some software, all should be fine. I
    have been so pleased with WinXP on the Dimension 8100, that I have removed
    the WinME and Linux installations that I also had there.

    I'm on a cable modem, so can't comment on the WinModem - it seems like I
    have heard of problems with WinXP and WinModems, but I may be mistaken, or
    that may have been resolved well before now.

    --
    Tom McCune

    "Bernard F. Corson" <BFCorsonNO@SPAMatt.net> wrote in message

    > You will probably want to verify that you are in possession the latest
    > chipset, USB, Lucent and 3Com and Turtle Beach XP drivers as well.

    It hadn't occurred to me to look for chipset and USB drivers! I can't find
    any chipset drivers for XP, or any USB drivers at all, on Dell's site
    though. What should I be searching for? There doesn't seem to be a driver
    for my P791 monitor either - the nearest I can find is P792.

    > Have a good time with it. My install was complicated somewhat by
    > partitioning and dual boot issues, and still it was no problem. You will
    > like XP I think. Spend the extra bucks and go for Pro. I went with Home
    and
    > it is very limited with respect to certain networking issues. I have come
    > regret that decision and will be upgrading to Pro soon.

    Something I'm thinking about doing in the future is setting up a simple home
    network (only two PCs sharing a printer and internet connection). Would Pro
    be beneficial for that?

    "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >"Bernard F. Corson" <BFCorsonNO@SPAMatt.net> wrote

    >> You will probably want to verify that you are in possession the latest
    >> chipset, USB, Lucent and 3Com and Turtle Beach XP drivers as well.

    >It hadn't occurred to me to look for chipset and USB drivers! I can't find
    >any chipset drivers for XP, or any USB drivers at all, on Dell's site
    >though

    Speaking to the chipset drivers, FWIW I've installed XP Home and
    Pro, one of each, on two Dimension L733rs, without sweating the
    chipset drivers or any problems. I know, apples and oranges, but
    they're roughly the same, or an earlier, generation than the
    8100.

    I can't stress enough that MS compatibility checking program you
    can download from MS, and that comes on the XP disk. It really
    will tell you if your current /something/ driver needs an update
    or not. It even identified that the Dell somethingwatch program
    [you hit a special key and it automagically did something
    support-ish - never used it] on the L733r wouldn't work unless
    updated. No update needed, Dell had ditched the program. ;->
    More important, it did ID that I'd need an updated driver for my
    video card.
    --

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bernard F. Corson" <BFCorsonNO@SPAMatt.net> wrote
    >
    >>> You will probably want to verify that you are in possession the latest
    >>> chipset, USB, Lucent and 3Com and Turtle Beach XP drivers as well.
    >
    >>It hadn't occurred to me to look for chipset and USB drivers! I can't
    >>find
    >>any chipset drivers for XP, or any USB drivers at all, on Dell's site
    >>though
    >
    > Speaking to the chipset drivers, FWIW I've installed XP Home and
    > Pro, one of each, on two Dimension L733rs, without sweating the
    > chipset drivers or any problems. I know, apples and oranges, but
    > they're roughly the same, or an earlier, generation than the
    > 8100.

    <snip>

    XP, according to a friend who has a Dim8100, has the chipset drivers for the
    Intel 850 native....

    Stew

    "Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 8100 appears quite similar to yours, but must be older
    because
    > the BIOS version is only around A05 - I'm on my laptop right now. I did
    > not upgrade the BIOS because I went with dual booting and was afraid the
    XP
    > BIOS update might interfer with the WinME functioning. All ran fine with
    > WinXP with that BIOS that I have never updated.

    That's encouraging. I think I'm going to download the A09 and XP2 BIOS and
    prepare the disks just in case, but not update the BIOS unless I have
    problems with XP. I've run the Windows Upgrade Advisor as suggested by
    another poster and it doesn't mention the BIOS on my machine.

    > I did a clean install of WinXP and used a free Adaptec update they had on
    > their web site. I was then using Norton AV and I think it might have
    > required an update (but that was a couple years ago).

    I've already upgraded to Norton AV 2003 so that should still work (although
    recovering my subscription after a reinstall could be a problem!). Easy CD
    Creator I may have to upgrade, or just use XP's built-in CD burning.

    Can XP read DirectCD formatted discs, by the way?

    > I'm on a cable modem, so can't comment on the WinModem - it seems like I
    > have heard of problems with WinXP and WinModems, but I may be mistaken, or
    > that may have been resolved well before now.

    To be honest, I hardly ever use the modem now that I'm on broadband.
    However, I thought it was worth finding drivers for it in case my ADSL modem
    (Alcatel Speedtouch 330) has problems with XP and I temporarily need
    alternative internet access.

    Many thanks for everyone's responses - it's all been helpful!

    You shouldn't need chipset drivers for XP, but they should be on Dell's
    site. USB drivers for USB1.1 (which you have) are built-in to XP.

    My 8100 (well, our two) run XP fine, both Home and Pro.

    Tom

    > You shouldn't need chipset drivers for XP, but they should be on Dell's
    > site. USB drivers for USB1.1 (which you have) are built-in to XP.
    >
    > My 8100 (well, our two) run XP fine, both Home and Pro.
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    Where you been, Scales. You missed your cue :)

    You flash the BIOS of either before the install?

    Stew

    No, but they both had A09. I finally did get around to installing XP2 at
    some point.

    What cue did I miss? I'm all over the thread. Got lots of 8100 Dimensions
    (and 4550 and 2400).

    Tom

    > No, but they both had A09. I finally did get around to installing XP2 at
    > some point.
    >
    > What cue did I miss? I'm all over the thread. Got lots of 8100 Dimensions
    > (and 4550 and 2400).
    >
    > Tom

    <cut/paste>

    > Any Dell-specific advice on performing this upgrade, or comments from
    anyone
    > who has done the same on a similar system, would be most welcome!

    I can think of at least one user here who's running a Dim8100 here with XP
    and is very pleased with it.

    <end>

    I knew you had one, but not two, 8100's running XP w/o a hitch. Those cases
    are so roomy one could nearly live in them :)

    The 4550 is also (imo) a fine system. May pick one of those up one of these
    days to replace our 4100 eventually.

    Stew

Dell Windows XP Dimension Computers