Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...

I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And Win
xp (service pack 2 upgraded).

Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software; anyone
know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event of
the crash in the error reporting queue!
Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a number
of times).

I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing bad
is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down (tho'
this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs about
:10 into a :40 backup.

TIA for any insight...

If no BSOD's occur (Event ID: 1001 Source: Save Dump), then it may be a
power problem. I would look at a possible faulty (or undersized) pc power
supply, UPS, bad battery, or the circuit feeding the outlet that the pc is
plugged into.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kidz" wrote:
| Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...
|
| I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
| Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And
Win
| xp (service pack 2 upgraded).
|
| Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software;
anyone
| know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
| computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
| screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
| it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event
of
| the crash in the error reporting queue!
| Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
| problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
| running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
| can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a
number
| of times).
|
| I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing
bad
| is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down
(tho'
| this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs
about
| :10 into a :40 backup.
|
| TIA for any insight...

Thank you kindly for your advice; is there a diagnostic tool I can run to see
if my computer setup is 'power' undersized or faulty (and which device is
using most power)?

I've replace a lot of cards, etc. - but if this is determined to be the
problem am I looking at eliminating something on the grid, getting a new
machine - or just upgrading the power supply?

Thxs, again...

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> If no BSOD's occur (Event ID: 1001 Source: Save Dump), then it may be a
> power problem. I would look at a possible faulty (or undersized) pc power
> supply, UPS, bad battery, or the circuit feeding the outlet that the pc is
> plugged into.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "kidz" wrote:
> | Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...
> |
> | I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
> | Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And
> Win
> | xp (service pack 2 upgraded).
> |
> | Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software;
> anyone
> | know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
> | computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
> | screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
> | it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event
> of
> | the crash in the error reporting queue!
> | Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
> | problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
> | running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
> | can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a
> number
> | of times).
> |
> | I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing
> bad
> | is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down
> (tho'
> | this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs
> about
> | :10 into a :40 backup.
> |
> | TIA for any insight...

This link may help you.