Crash; No Blue Screen...

Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...

I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And Win
xp (service pack 2 upgraded).

Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software; anyone
know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event of
the crash in the error reporting queue!
Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a number
of times).

I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing bad
is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down (tho'
this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs about
:10 into a :40 backup.

TIA for any insight...
3 answers Last reply
More about crash blue screen

    If no BSOD's occur (Event ID: 1001 Source: Save Dump), then it may be a
    power problem. I would look at a possible faulty (or undersized) pc power
    supply, UPS, bad battery, or the circuit feeding the outlet that the pc is
    plugged into.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kidz" wrote:
    | Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...
    |
    | I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
    | Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And
    Win
    | xp (service pack 2 upgraded).
    |
    | Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software;
    anyone
    | know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
    | computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
    | screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
    | it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event
    of
    | the crash in the error reporting queue!
    | Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
    | problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
    | running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
    | can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a
    number
    | of times).
    |
    | I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing
    bad
    | is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down
    (tho'
    | this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs
    about
    | :10 into a :40 backup.
    |
    | TIA for any insight...

    Thank you kindly for your advice; is there a diagnostic tool I can run to see
    if my computer setup is 'power' undersized or faulty (and which device is
    using most power)?

    I've replace a lot of cards, etc. - but if this is determined to be the
    problem am I looking at eliminating something on the grid, getting a new
    machine - or just upgrading the power supply?

    Thxs, again...

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > If no BSOD's occur (Event ID: 1001 Source: Save Dump), then it may be a
    > power problem. I would look at a possible faulty (or undersized) pc power
    > supply, UPS, bad battery, or the circuit feeding the outlet that the pc is
    > plugged into.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "kidz" wrote:
    > | Greetings guru's - I've tried to solve this myself...
    > |
    > | I've a 2001 Gateway running a Pentium 4 with a Riva TNT2 64 graphics card,
    > | Linksys wireless netcard, new sony dvd/cd & cd & fireball harddrive. And
    > Win
    > | xp (service pack 2 upgraded).
    > |
    > | Since Win XP (+ service pack and annoying CA EZ Trust virus software;
    > anyone
    > | know how to keep the ez firewall software from loading at startup?), my
    > | computer will crash intermittently - with no seeming pattern. No blue
    > | screen, no warning, just 'bang'; I kill the powercord, turn it back on and
    > | it's like nothing happened to the unit. In fact - there's often no event
    > of
    > | the crash in the error reporting queue!
    > | Now - sometimes crash occurs and startup prompts for a diskcheck; never a
    > | problem there. This phenomena occurs most frequently when I'm (trying)
    > | running a backup - or when I do an extended virus search (backup routine I
    > | can't complete without a crash; virus check has gone thru completely a
    > number
    > | of times).
    > |
    > | I've run Spybot, EZ Trust Virus Software, Windows Virus check - nothing
    > bad
    > | is found. It's as though, over a given time, the unit just shuts down
    > (tho'
    > | this can be at :30 or 3 hrs later!) - however it most assuredly occurs
    > about
    > | :10 into a :40 backup.
    > |
    > | TIA for any insight...

    This link may help you.

    http://www.directron.com/psu.html

    --

    "kidz" wrote:
    | Thank you kindly for your advice; is there a diagnostic tool I can run to
    see
    | if my computer setup is 'power' undersized or faulty (and which device is
    | using most power)?
    |
    | I've replace a lot of cards, etc. - but if this is determined to be the
    | problem am I looking at eliminating something on the grid, getting a new
    | machine - or just upgrading the power supply?
    |
    | Thxs, again...

Crash Windows XP