XP Pro - Active Directory User Unable to set Desktop

I'm just starting to get my feet wet in Active Directory (AD). Up till now
we've been a Netware network. I've got a Windows 2003 server as the AD
controller and I'm moving a group of Windows XP Pro workstations that were
originally configured as stand-alone systems to our AD Domain.

I can successfully add the PCs to the domain, login as the AD user to create
a new profile, then login as the administrator, copy the local user account
profile the AD user profile and add the AD user to the local User group.

However, when I login as the AD user, I see errors in the Netware login
script indicating failure to create some local enviromental variables. During
login, the selected desktop background disappears and there's only a solid
blue background. And other changes made to the desktop enviroments, like
Classic vs XP changed to default settings.

I experimented by adding the AD user to the local administrator's group and
everything worked as it should so it's definitely a rights issue. I tried
adding the Active Directory user to the local Power User's group but that
didn't help.

No group policies are in effect at the moment so I'm stumped as to what
setting I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--

Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
Wisco Industries, Inc.

    So from what I understand you are trying to run a Netware Login script and
    it works for the Network Admin account and it doesn't work for any of your
    users. I guess the first thing to mention is that unless you are logging
    onto a Netware server not AD then I don't really understand why you are
    using Netware Scripts. I could be totally off but I thought Netware scripts
    were just for netware logons not active directory logons.

    That aside in order for a user to use netware logins in windows they have to
    have access granted to run login scripts inside of client services for
    netware:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prch_cnn_khgw.asp

    Hope this helps,
    Jeff Cole

    "bhartung" <bhartung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm just starting to get my feet wet in Active Directory (AD). Up till now
    > we've been a Netware network. I've got a Windows 2003 server as the AD
    > controller and I'm moving a group of Windows XP Pro workstations that were
    > originally configured as stand-alone systems to our AD Domain.
    >
    > I can successfully add the PCs to the domain, login as the AD user to
    > create
    > a new profile, then login as the administrator, copy the local user
    > account
    > profile the AD user profile and add the AD user to the local User group.
    >
    > However, when I login as the AD user, I see errors in the Netware login
    > script indicating failure to create some local enviromental variables.
    > During
    > login, the selected desktop background disappears and there's only a solid
    > blue background. And other changes made to the desktop enviroments, like
    > Classic vs XP changed to default settings.
    >
    > I experimented by adding the AD user to the local administrator's group
    > and
    > everything worked as it should so it's definitely a rights issue. I tried
    > adding the Active Directory user to the local Power User's group but that
    > didn't help.
    >
    > No group policies are in effect at the moment so I'm stumped as to what
    > setting I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    >

    > Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
    > Wisco Industries, Inc.
    > Oregon, WI 53575

    How To Create an Active Directory Server in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324753

    How to configure Active Directory diagnostic event logging in Windows Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314980

    Troubleshooting Active Directory problems that are caused by DNS
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891735

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "bhartung" wrote:

    | I'm just starting to get my feet wet in Active Directory (AD). Up till now
    | we've been a Netware network. I've got a Windows 2003 server as the AD
    | controller and I'm moving a group of Windows XP Pro workstations that were
    | originally configured as stand-alone systems to our AD Domain.
    |
    | I can successfully add the PCs to the domain, login as the AD user to create
    | a new profile, then login as the administrator, copy the local user account
    | profile the AD user profile and add the AD user to the local User group.
    |
    | However, when I login as the AD user, I see errors in the Netware login
    | script indicating failure to create some local enviromental variables. During
    | login, the selected desktop background disappears and there's only a solid
    | blue background. And other changes made to the desktop enviroments, like
    | Classic vs XP changed to default settings.
    |
    | I experimented by adding the AD user to the local administrator's group and
    | everything worked as it should so it's definitely a rights issue. I tried
    | adding the Active Directory user to the local Power User's group but that
    | didn't help.
    |
    | No group policies are in effect at the moment so I'm stumped as to what
    | setting I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks.
    | --
    |

    | Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
    | Wisco Industries, Inc.