Good day,

We have a problem with riched20.dll. We are trying to replace a version on
Win XP SP2 with a newer version. However everytime, we rename the current
dll and paste the new one, the current dll after the rename is back. The
servicepack seemed to have moved the dllcache folder in system32, where is
this dll coming from? How can I load the new dll?

It also looks like this dll was involved with lots of worms/viruses, and
that it is widely used with a range of microsoft products. Why our product
falls over is mysteriously seeing that , we can login using a static user
name and password. We have a checkbox that automates, domain authentication,
as soon as we turn this checkbox on, the application crashes with the
riched20.dll access violation. Previously we just copied a riched20.dll and
replaced it over the existing one, and that solved it, somehow now, it is a
different behavior.

It can come from a number iof different sources. It can come from a folder
you may have on the system called ServicePackFiles. It normally comes from
dllcache. I would search on it to see where all it might be. Of course
this is happening because the system wants to keep the one it is happy with.
I don't know about its use for viruses and what not. Seems kind of weird
because it is just the riched(it) control version 2 which is what is used
normally form text boxes that have formatting capability.

When you want to override SFC you have to do it in the correct order:

Rename in dllcache
Rename in ServicePackFiles
Rename in C:\Windows\system32

Then when you put your version in you do it the opposite way. You shoud get
SFC warnings.

--
George Hester