Computer is slogging; can't figure out why

Stavrogin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2005

Hello,

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of slowdown with my machine.

I don't normally use virus software but have run Panda Activescan a
couple of times. Usually, it finds a couple of viruses in my email
files... but these are not emails I open. In fact, they are emails I
promptly delete.

Nevertheless, things run terribly slow. The latest memory-related
problem is that many of the icons in the start bar do not show up. So
instead of the Adobe icon in my most recently used programs, I get a
generic Windows logo (a white icon with an application screen in the
center).

As an aside, I have noticed for a few months that Windows is creating
hundreds of useless email profiles for me. Normally, I use three
profiles... but now I have about 120, with the names "PstLoadTmp001",
"PstLoadTmp002," PstLoadTmp003", etc."

Any ideas on how to go about fixing these problems?

Stavrogin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2005

That's the method I used to take all the time when I had a Sony Vaio
laptop.

Now, I have a Dell and it doesn't come with the basic restore disks.

I'll look into it... thanks.

Shawn

Re: Computer is slogging;cant figure out why.

I agree with Chas, you ought to run adequate protection against not
just viruses but also spyware and adware, even with all these the
system does get infected at times, one can only imagine whtd be the
situation without them.
Also follow regular maintenance such as disk cleanup and defrag which
will keep your HD performing more efficiently and the system running
faster.
Couple of links
http://css.its.psu.edu/news/nlsu03/winxpmaintain.html
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

Stavrogin

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2005

I do run Ad-Aware and used to run Pest-Patrol... but I rarely get
spyware so perhaps I don't check as often as I should.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about formatting a computer
running XP?

....normaly don't run antivirus programs?! These programs are meant to use
proactively not retroactively!
Try Ad-Aware SE it is free and relatively effective. in addition there are
other share ware anti virus/anti-malware programs available on the net.

Do safe PCex.

In news:1125416266.056856.51620@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Stavrogin <silentio@dccnet.com> typed:

> Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of slowdown with my
> machine.
>

> I don't normally use virus software

Then you're playing with fire. Forgive the strong statemnt, but
not using anti-virus software is foolhardy.

> but have run Panda Activescan a
> couple of times. Usually, it finds a couple of viruses in my
> email
> files... but these are not emails I open. In fact, they are
> emails I
> promptly delete.
>
> Nevertheless, things run terribly slow.

If you don't use anti-virus software, you probably don't use
anti-spyware software either. These days it's essential to run a
good anti-virus program and several (at least two, preferably
more) anti-spyware programs regularly and to diligently keep them
up to date. It's very likely that your problems are caused by
multiple installations of malware.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

"Stavrogin" <silentio@dccnet.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of slowdown with my machine.
>

> I don't normally use virus software but have run Panda Activescan a
> couple of times. Usually, it finds a couple of viruses in my email
> files... but these are not emails I open. In fact, they are emails I
> promptly delete.
>
> Nevertheless, things run terribly slow. The latest memory-related
> problem is that many of the icons in the start bar do not show up. So
> instead of the Adobe icon in my most recently used programs, I get a
> generic Windows logo (a white icon with an application screen in the
> center).
>
> As an aside, I have noticed for a few months that Windows is creating
> hundreds of useless email profiles for me. Normally, I use three
> profiles... but now I have about 120, with the names "PstLoadTmp001",
> "PstLoadTmp002," PstLoadTmp003", etc."
>
> Any ideas on how to go about fixing these problems?

Hi
I don't say this very often but i think the quickest way to sort your
problem out
would be to "format & reinstall" making sure you run "windows update" and
have a "firewall active"and a "uptodate antivirus" program
chas