POP3 problem and Norton Anti-virus

Hi All:
Just wanted to post this problem/solution so other's don't go batty trying
to figure out why they can't download their e-mail messages via their pop3
account. Seems Norton Anti-virus downloaded something that effected the
communication protocol if you have their e-mail checker activated. The
simple solution is to disable their e-mail checker in Norton Anti-virus. The
best solution is to switch to another anti-virus program. AVG here I come!
Can't tell you how many hours it took to figure this out, originally blamed
my ISP. I just hate it when something is changed on my computer without my
knowledge or permission!
Patrick
2 answers Last reply
More about pop3 problem norton anti virus

    When even Norton advise you to disable the email virus scanner program you
    know things are fishy!! Microsoft advises it as well!!

    Patrick wrote:

    > Hi All:
    > Just wanted to post this problem/solution so other's don't go batty trying
    > to figure out why they can't download their e-mail messages via their pop3
    > account. Seems Norton Anti-virus downloaded something that effected the
    > communication protocol if you have their e-mail checker activated. The
    > simple solution is to disable their e-mail checker in Norton Anti-virus. The
    > best solution is to switch to another anti-virus program. AVG here I come!
    > Can't tell you how many hours it took to figure this out, originally blamed
    > my ISP. I just hate it when something is changed on my computer without my
    > knowledge or permission!
    > Patrick

    No matter what AV program, disable email scanning. It offers no
    additional protection and can cause problems.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Norton Email Antivirus Windows XP