Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 & TrueCrypt

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2012 12:43:21 AM

I've used TrueCrypt for over a year on my laptop, and was about to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Fortunately I came across a tip to decrypt (I had the entire computer encrypted) prior to installing Win 8 to avoid some real issues.

It was in the 95 % decrypted range when I downloaded the WINDOWS 8 UPGRADE ASSISTANT (apparently required prior to downloading Win 8). I started to run it, and it appeared to be working properly, when TrueCrypt indicated that it needed to restart - so that's what I did, thinking that I could just run the upgrade assistant after restart.

Computer restarted w/no issues (first time I have not had to enter my 30 character passphrase in quite some time)!

When I went back to run the upgrade assistant, I started getting what is apparently a relatively common error message: "Internal error: Error running compatibility check. Check logs". Since I can't now run this program, I can't download the $39.99 upgrade offer.

My GUESS is that something generated by the program when I first ran it prior to terminating it (to restart) is still floating around and now causing the error message.

My thought was to use SYSTEM RESTORE to turn back the clock a couple of days (last restore point), but since it was encrypted then - not sure if that will open up a major can of worms!

Thoughts??

More about : windows truecrypt

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 1:33:21 AM

240253,1,572624 said:
I've used TrueCrypt for over a year on my laptop, and was about to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Fortunately I came across a tip to decrypt (I had the entire computer encrypted) prior to installing Win 8 to avoid some real issues.

It was in the 95 % decrypted range when I downloaded the WINDOWS 8 UPGRADE ASSISTANT (apparently required prior to downloading Win 8). I started to run it, and it appeared to be working properly, when TrueCrypt indicated that it needed to restart - so that's what I did, thinking that I could just run the upgrade assistant after restart.

Computer restarted w/no issues (first time I have not had to enter my 30 character passphrase in quite some time)!

When I went back to run the upgrade assistant, I started getting what is apparently a relatively common error message: "Internal error: Error running compatibility check. Check logs". Since I can't now run this program, I can't download the $39.99 upgrade offer.

My GUESS is that something generated by the program when I first ran it prior to terminating it (to restart) is still floating around and now causing the error message.

What does the log state?
m
l
November 12, 2012 10:03:54 AM

danny2000 said:

What does the log state?

(head hung in shame) - I wouldn't know where to go to find out. On a scale of 1 to 10 on the Techie scale where 1 is your grandmother and 10 is "all knowing", I'd probably rate a 3.5. While I know my way around a computer, it's only to the extent of my prior experiences.

If you can direct me to the log, that would be one more feather in my hat.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 12, 2012 8:04:29 PM

This might help you locate the log file.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 13, 2012 5:57:56 PM

oh well, that's good. if that is all that you need, then please select "Best Answer".
m
l
November 13, 2012 6:51:07 PM

Best answer selected by GatrNol.
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:34:40 PM

Hi guys, i solved this on my laptop running Windows 7 home.
I deleted the folder Websetup (including sub folders) located in..
users/NAME/appdata/local/microsoft

Then redownloaded a fresh copy of the upgrade assistant, run that as administrator and hay presto!
m
l
!