can't delete files

August 30, 2005 1:12:01 PM

My WinXP-pro system is configured with 40GB IDE maxtor (master) hard
drive for system boot and operation, and 200 GB IDE 133MHz (slave)
Maxtor hard drive for backup data on the same IDE cable. The 200 GB
hard drive is divided into two partitions, one 80 GB used to back up
system data, and one of 120 GM for music. The mother board is an Intel
D845WN with 1.7 GHz Pentium IV processor.

Norton Ghost 2004 is pre-scheduled to periodically save baseline
recovery files as well as incremental recovery files to a directory in
the 80 GByte partition on the slave drive. Norton Ghost is deficient in
that it does not automatically delete the obsolete back-up files. If it
runs out of room, it will stop making back-up files, and the back-up
information will become stale. One needs to manually delete obsolete files.

In an attempt to free up space on the backup drive, I deleted old
obsolete backups on the slave F:\ drive using "windows explorer."
However a subsequent check of the properties (using Windows Explorer) of
this harddrive indicated more space was being used than the sum of the
individual subdirectories. I subsequently opened Norton Ghost and
"released" the obsolete backups.

Afterwards, and after pressing F5, and after rebooting the machine, and
after running Norton Disc Doctor, the properties box for the System
Backup Partition still indicates that 56 GBytes is in use while the sum
of the usage of each individual folder is only 20 GB. Furthermore, I
HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO EMPTY the 4 GBytes in the folder RECYCLER. When I
seek to delete the contents of the RECYCLER, it contains a file named:
"1-5-21-1085031214-1715567821-725345543-1003,"
the machine says file can't be deleted because it is in use. I don't
know what file could be using it. Norton Ghost is closed. (I even
closed Norton Ghost using the Cntrl-Alt-Del menu options.)

Thus 4 GBytes of the 80 GBytes allocated for system back-up seem to be
locked up in the RECYLER. Another 36 GB seem to be locked up somewhere
else in an unknown location, leaving only 40 GBytes for system backUp.
There is a folder "System Volume Information," in the back-up partition,
but the system will not let me look into that folder to see size of
contents.

How do I clean out the 4 Gbyte RECYCLER and 36 Gbyte mystery files, so
there is room for more recent back-ups?

WindsurferLA

More about : delete files

August 30, 2005 11:29:41 PM

windsurferLA wrote:

> My WinXP-pro system is configured with 40GB IDE maxtor (master) hard
> drive for system boot and operation, and 200 GB IDE 133MHz (slave)
> Maxtor hard drive for backup data on the same IDE cable. The 200 GB
> hard drive is divided into two partitions, one 80 GB used to back up
> system data, and one of 120 GM for music. The mother board is an
> Intel D845WN with 1.7 GHz Pentium IV processor.
>
> Norton Ghost 2004 is pre-scheduled to periodically save baseline
> recovery files as well as incremental recovery files to a directory in
> the 80 GByte partition on the slave drive. Norton Ghost is deficient
> in that it does not automatically delete the obsolete back-up files.
> If it runs out of room, it will stop making back-up files, and the
> back-up information will become stale. One needs to manually delete
> obsolete files.
>
> In an attempt to free up space on the backup drive, I deleted old
> obsolete backups on the slave F:\ drive using "windows explorer."
> However a subsequent check of the properties (using Windows Explorer)
> of this harddrive indicated more space was being used than the sum of
> the
> individual subdirectories. I subsequently opened Norton Ghost and
> "released" the obsolete backups.
>
> Afterwards, and after pressing F5, and after rebooting the machine,
> and after running Norton Disc Doctor, the properties box for the
> System Backup Partition still indicates that 56 GBytes is in use while
> the sum of the usage of each individual folder is only 20 GB.
> Furthermore, I
> HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO EMPTY the 4 GBytes in the folder RECYCLER. When I
> seek to delete the contents of the RECYCLER, it contains a file named:
> "1-5-21-1085031214-1715567821-725345543-1003,"
> the machine says file can't be deleted because it is in use. I don't
> know what file could be using it. Norton Ghost is closed. (I even
> closed Norton Ghost using the Cntrl-Alt-Del menu options.)
>
> Thus 4 GBytes of the 80 GBytes allocated for system back-up seem to be
> locked up in the RECYLER. Another 36 GB seem to be locked up somewhere
> else in an unknown location, leaving only 40 GBytes for system backUp.
> There is a folder "System Volume Information," in the back-up
> partition, but the system will not let me look into that folder to see
> size of contents.
>
> How do I clean out the 4 Gbyte RECYCLER and 36 Gbyte mystery files, so
> there is room for more recent back-ups?
>
> WindsurferLA

Since apparently there is nothing on that partition except the Ghost
backup files, I'd burn your most recent backup to DVD or onto whatever
removable media you are doing it and then boot with the XP cd and
format the backup partition.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers