geforce fx 5900 driver issues

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
hey great board, im new here but i have a problem

i put together a new pc recently and for some reason im having what i believe to be driver problems

it is a geforce fx 5900 128 mb card made by PNY

when i use the drivers that came in the cd packed with the card it runs perfectly they are of driver version 4.4.0.3

but when i try and use the new drivers from the nvidia site the game will run fine for maybe 10-15 min then crashes to my desktop

now this isnt a HUGE problem right now because the drivers on the disc are decent and seem to work fine with my games...

but my main concern is when nvidia releases there new set of drivers when games like half-life 2 and doom 3 come out and i wont be able to use them and so my games will not run as well as they are able to well that will be very bad because those are the main reasons i splurged on a new pc

so guys any recomendations? will i be screwed for the rest of the nvidia released drivers? i really hope not because to be honest this is a beast of a card and runs awesomely i am just really concerned about the future release of drivers

any help at all appreciated thanks

specs:

ecs motherboard ddr, HT , onboard lan and sound, 8x agp
p4 2.8 gig 800 mhz FSB, HT
1 gig of kingston pc 3200 memory (2 512 cards)
geforce 5900 fx 128 MB
dx ver 9.0b

thanks again for any replies

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I think you should call tech support and tell them what you just told us. They should be able to help you. I don't know whether to call PNY or Nvidia.

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Before you call tech support try looking around this website.
<A HREF="http://www.pny.com/support/verto/" target="_new">http://www.pny.com/support/verto/</A>
You might try using Pny's drivers intead of Nvidia's.

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Also, if you can still return the card that would be a good idea. For Half Life 2 even the Radeon 9600 can beat the 5900 Fx.

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Yes pjordon has played Half Life 2 using both the 9600 pro and the 5900 FX, so he knows which one is quicker so his advice is sound and accurate. Wait a minute maybe he read some benchmark on some website somewhere. Your a knob jordon, your advice is just plain crap.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
i did go to pny's website to where to get there drivers and its just a link to nvidias driver page so that sucked

also i tried calling pny tech support and there is no way it seems to get a real person on the line it seemed all automated and the recording couldnt tell me anything relevent

ill try callin them again tomorrow

also im not looking for fanboy input like i said im very happy with the card it runs super well its just this issue which is giving me problems and am wondering if there is any way to fix it

maybe if anyone knows about any compatibility issues with my hardware? anything at all would be great...thanks again...

ps. id return it if i knew how i did get the lifetime warrentee but i dont know if that counts towards returning products for money back i dont know how retail sites work when it comes to that kind of stuff ill look more into that too

endyen

Splendid
The new drivers are for directx 9 games (I think) and are not good for DX 8. Before you get too worried,try to find a Dx 9 game to test them on. Your gpu is of particular importance to nvidia so it will be supported, even if you have a different driver for each game/benchmark.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
New drivers are constantly coming out for products like that and often old problems get fixed and just as often (in betas at least) new problems are created.

1) Did you download a beta driver, a non-certified driver, or a Microsoft WHQL-certified driver?

2) Did you completely remove your old driver before you installed the new driver?

3) Why did you post this in the CPU section of the forum?

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
1. im sure it isnt a beta i the info i got with the drivers from the official nvidia download page said nothing about beta drivers

2. im pretty sure i un-installed my old drivers, i even used driver cleaner to make double sure they were gone

3. i figured i could get more of a response posting here then anywhere else, if its a huge problem i wouldnt object to a mod moving it to a more appropriate portion of the board

thanks for the insight

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
the problem with it is that that is not what i was asking about at all

im not asking for your preferance in video cards i was asking if anyone had any idea why mine was giving me problems

thanks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yes pjordon has played Half Life 2 using both the 9600 pro and the 5900 FX, so he knows which one is quicker
No, he probably heard/read about the half-life 2 benchies released <i>by valve themselves</i> which show this. [sarcasm]Oh no - I bet they're being paid by ATI aren't they? Them and most other DX9 game manufacturers... :eek: [/sarcasm]

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
well i decided to send the geforce back i got my rma and it will be shipped back to them in a few days...for store credit

so what do you guys recomend should i get the radeon 9800 pro 128 MB which is what i was planning on getting or should i pay the extra 100 bucks for the 256 MB

im not neccesarily looking for what will be best short term but long term as well...i realize that extra 128 MB wont be much of a boost with current games but when the card starts aging a little do you think it would help then to pay the extra 100 bucks?

thanks for all the help guys you've been great

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Read this.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1890" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1890</A>Get the 128mb version for now. If you are wanting to future proof i'm not sure. If you can wait a while the 9800xt will come out bringing prices down. Also, the 256 has faster memory so that helps if you are planning to overclock. In summary, wait until the 9800xt is out and then get the 256mb if you are overclocking, otherwise get the 128mb and put the extra money in the bank.

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Anandtech just did a new review.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1896&p=1" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1896&p=1</A>
Nvidia really has improved the drivers. This puts the 5950FX and the 5900Fx back in the running.

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
ofcourse it wasnt working right did you not read about the part of me crashing to desktop?

and i will probly get the 128 MB pro and bank the rest to get something new around when half-life 2 comes out since it was delayed till april =((((

johndoughxx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
i wish i could wait

but i expect that when the xt comes out it will run around 500 bucks and thats just a little to high for me

so ill use the 9800 pro till next spring and by then the xt will have come down alot...ill dump the pro and pick up an xt for about the same price i got the pro for...no reason for me to spend THAT much just to be top of the line

and besides im sure the 9800 pro will be able to handle pretty much all the stuff im looking forward to playing untill doom 3 and hl2 come out

stuff like XIII, call of duty, condition zero, stalker, farcry, various mmorpg's and rts's

so i dont think there is a huge need to pick up something like the xt till my card is taxxed more

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What the heck is an mmorpg? It sounds like it should be something relating to role playing games, but then that could be my own bias towards role playing games. Heh heh. ;)

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Massively Muliplayer Online Role Playing Games.
That's horribly undescriptive. One has to wonder how does that description even differentiate itself from a Multi-User Dungeon? :\ I'm assuming that the reality is that it is a reference to games like NeverQuest. If so, that's a funny acronym since it doesn't even tout graphical (not to mention 3D).

One has to wonder if anyone ever knew of the existence of MUDs. (Or even the original NWN run by AOL... the <i>only</i> reason that I <i>ever</i> payed for AOL.) No one actually plays MUDs anymore. <sarcasm><i>They're so ASCII.</i></sarcasm> ;)

Well, at least no one sane anyway. I've never claimed to be sane. I still have delusions of writting my own MUD in Python one day and hosting my own server for it. :)

That and getting an unlimited hours calling plan for a combination cellphone/PDA with internet access that I can use to host a website from just so that I can say I host my website from my pocket. :O Imagine the kudos points at a job interview. "Wanna see my website?" **ROFL** Who could resist an interview like that?! :)

Um, no, I'm not a geek. Not at all. Nope. Err ... no, those aren't D&D books in the backround at all. They're ... um ... TV guides. Yeah. I'm ... um ... planning to record my favorite Skin-a-max on the TiVo ... I mean VCR, yeah, Skin-a-max on the VCR. No geeks here...

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Did you read the Anandtech articles? Don't get the 9800xt its not really an upgrade from the 9800 pro. Just a teeny bit faster. But, the reason to wait is price drops. After the xt and Nvidia's new one comes out, the price of the 9800pro will drop.