XP Blue Screen

Hi all,

I've been asked to look at a Packard Bell ixtreme running XP Home (no idea
what, if any, service packs at this stage). The machine starts to boot,
displays the desktop (wallpaper only, no icons) then reboots. I've disabled
restart on system error, and got the following stop error codes (there's no
other info in the stop error, such as modules etc).

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EBA4, 0xF8028BB8, 0x00000000).

The problem also happens if I try to boot into safe mode, and reverting to
Last Known Good didn't help either. I've googled the error codes and found
some posts suggesting they relate to RAM problems - I've swapped the DIMMs
out but the machine still won't boot.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

TIA

Rob Ashburn.
12 answers Last reply
More about blue screen

    "Viking Mail" <vikingmail@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've been asked to look at a Packard Bell ixtreme running XP Home (no idea
    >what, if any, service packs at this stage). The machine starts to boot,
    >displays the desktop (wallpaper only, no icons) then reboots. I've disabled
    >restart on system error, and got the following stop error codes (there's no
    >other info in the stop error, such as modules etc).
    >
    >0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EBA4, 0xF8028BB8, 0x00000000).
    >
    >The problem also happens if I try to boot into safe mode, and reverting to
    >Last Known Good didn't help either. I've googled the error codes and found
    >some posts suggesting they relate to RAM problems - I've swapped the DIMMs
    >out but the machine still won't boot.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Rob Ashburn.

    See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for STOP errors at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on the "8E: Kernel
    Mode Except..." link in the left side column.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Packard Bells motherboards are notorious for blown caps. Check out all the
    caps and make sure none are leaking or bulging!! If they are then your mobo
    is dead.

    Run some dos RAM checks, swapping the RAM sticks in different dimm slots.

    Good Luck!!

    "Viking Mail" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been asked to look at a Packard Bell ixtreme running XP Home (no idea
    > what, if any, service packs at this stage). The machine starts to boot,
    > displays the desktop (wallpaper only, no icons) then reboots. I've disabled
    > restart on system error, and got the following stop error codes (there's no
    > other info in the stop error, such as modules etc).
    >
    > 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EBA4, 0xF8028BB8, 0x00000000).
    >
    > The problem also happens if I try to boot into safe mode, and reverting to
    > Last Known Good didn't help either. I've googled the error codes and found
    > some posts suggesting they relate to RAM problems - I've swapped the DIMMs
    > out but the machine still won't boot.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob Ashburn.

    Thanks Ron,

    I've taken a look at that page, and links therefrom, but didn't spot
    anything that seemed to address the problem I'm having with this machine on
    the 0x8E error page - all info is always useful though!

    Rob.

    > "Viking Mail" <vikingmail@btinternet.com> wrote:
    > See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for STOP errors at
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on the "8E: Kernel
    > Mode Except..." link in the left side column.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Rich,

    I've had a very brief look at the board and didn't spot any obvious
    problems. I'm currently running memtest86 over the machine, but I'm not sure
    I have it set up right.

    I set it running about three hours ago before I had to run out. When I get
    back, I see it's running test 6, Pass 0, and appears to have found a
    staggering number of errors - 159xxxxx and climbing rapidly. Is that normal
    for bad RAM, or have I messed something up horribly?

    Rob.

    Viking Mail wrote:

    > Hi Rich,
    >
    > I've had a very brief look at the board and didn't spot any obvious
    > problems. I'm currently running memtest86 over the machine, but I'm
    > not sure I have it set up right.
    >
    > I set it running about three hours ago before I had to run out. When I
    > get back, I see it's running test 6, Pass 0, and appears to have found
    > a staggering number of errors - 159xxxxx and climbing rapidly. Is that
    > normal for bad RAM, or have I messed something up horribly?

    As soon as you got one error, you know the RAM is bad and needs to be
    replaced. You don't have to keep going.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for that Malke.

    I've removed one of the 2 DIMMs and run the test again; errors were found
    with the remaining DIMM. I replaced it with the other DIMM and retested; no
    errors were found so I assume that this DIMM is good. BUT, when the machine
    is booted with the assumed good DIMM installed on its own, I STILL get the
    8E stop error. This is driving me nuts!!

    Any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

    Rob.

    Viking Mail wrote:

    > Thanks for that Malke.
    >
    > I've removed one of the 2 DIMMs and run the test again; errors were
    > found with the remaining DIMM. I replaced it with the other DIMM and
    > retested; no errors were found so I assume that this DIMM is good.
    > BUT, when the machine is booted with the assumed good DIMM installed
    > on its own, I STILL get the 8E stop error. This is driving me nuts!!

    Hardware can do that to you. :-|

    Some things to try:

    1. Test the RAM (both sticks) separately in another machine. If they
    test good, then

    2. Try different known-good RAM in the problem machine. Naturally, it
    has to be the right RAM for the motherboard. If you get more problems,
    then there is a good chance the motherboard RAM slots are bad, not the
    RAM.

    3. If you don't have extra machines and/or RAM, then it will be most
    efficient to take the machine to a professional computer repair shop
    (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) for testing.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Malke,

    > 1. Test the RAM (both sticks) separately in another machine. If they
    > test good, then
    >
    > 2. Try different known-good RAM in the problem machine. Naturally, it
    > has to be the right RAM for the motherboard. If you get more problems,
    > then there is a good chance the motherboard RAM slots are bad, not the
    > RAM.
    >
    > 3. If you don't have extra machines and/or RAM, then it will be most
    > efficient to take the machine to a professional computer repair shop
    > (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) for testing.

    Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been out of town for a few days. As
    for taking the thing to a repair store - I AM a repair guy, been working
    independently at that game for nearly 5 years now, and this one is driving
    me crazy :-(

    Haven't had chance to swap the RAM over yet, but I have another, identical,
    Packard Bell in here for spyware cleanup - as far as I'm aware it's
    functioning perfectly other than a software problem. Out of interest I've
    swapped the HDD out of the blue screening beast into the functioning one and
    it STILL blue screens with an almost identical error (just one group of
    codes different):

    Original codes: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EB4A, 0xF8028BB8, 0x00000000)
    New codes: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EB4A, 0xF9495BB8, 0x00000000)

    The only common element here appears to be the Windows installation on the
    HDD - all the other components (RAM, mobo, CPU, CD etc) are different
    instances of the same models. Does this suggest any further clues to you?
    I'll swap the RAM around and retest as suggested earlier, but it seems an
    unlikely cause given the above.

    TIA

    Rob.

    You don't ride a bike, do you Rob?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Viking Mail" <vikingmail@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Malke,
    >
    >> 1. Test the RAM (both sticks) separately in another machine. If they
    >> test good, then
    >>
    >> 2. Try different known-good RAM in the problem machine. Naturally, it
    >> has to be the right RAM for the motherboard. If you get more problems,
    >> then there is a good chance the motherboard RAM slots are bad, not the
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> 3. If you don't have extra machines and/or RAM, then it will be most
    >> efficient to take the machine to a professional computer repair shop
    >> (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) for testing.
    >
    > Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been out of town for a few days. As
    > for taking the thing to a repair store - I AM a repair guy, been working
    > independently at that game for nearly 5 years now, and this one is driving
    > me crazy :-(
    >
    > Haven't had chance to swap the RAM over yet, but I have another,
    > identical,
    > Packard Bell in here for spyware cleanup - as far as I'm aware it's
    > functioning perfectly other than a software problem. Out of interest I've
    > swapped the HDD out of the blue screening beast into the functioning one
    > and
    > it STILL blue screens with an almost identical error (just one group of
    > codes different):
    >
    > Original codes: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EB4A, 0xF8028BB8,
    > 0x00000000)
    > New codes: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8056EB4A, 0xF9495BB8, 0x00000000)
    >
    > The only common element here appears to be the Windows installation on the
    > HDD - all the other components (RAM, mobo, CPU, CD etc) are different
    > instances of the same models. Does this suggest any further clues to you?
    > I'll swap the RAM around and retest as suggested earlier, but it seems an
    > unlikely cause given the above.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob.

    Not for more years than I care to think about - I'm contemplating a
    broomstick though :-)

    Rob.

    > You don't ride a bike, do you Rob?
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    > Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    > I'll swap the RAM around and retest as suggested earlier, but it seems an
    > unlikely cause given the above.

    This I have now done. The RAM from the blue screening box, tested on that
    machine, shows one stick ok, one with intermittent problems. The same RAM
    tested in the other Packard Bell gives the same results - one good, one with
    intermittent probs. The RAM from the working machine, tested on that machine
    is good. Tested on the blue screening fiend it is also good. Yet, even with
    the bad RAM discarded and only good RAM installed, the problematic machine
    still blue screens.

    Rob.

    I hear you, just reminded me of an older day poster named Rob that had a
    bike sig to it. If anyone knows what I am speaking of could you post it?
    If not, is ok. :o)

    Good luck in the meantime.

    --

    > Not for more years than I care to think about - I'm contemplating a
    > broomstick though :-)
    >
    > Rob.

    >> You don't ride a bike, do you Rob?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

Windows XP