Scott

I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog and
digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this monitor's
digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any suggestions
for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.

Thanks!
Scott

Scott

Oh, I just checked, and the Rage video card is mounted in the AGP
slot...it's not integrated. So I assume the AGP slot is the place to mount
a newer DVI card.

Scott

Scott wrote:

> I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog and
> digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
> like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this monitor's
> digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any suggestions
> for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Yes, that is correct. If you need good graphics, but don't need high-end
speed, a low-end card such as a Radeon 9200/9250 with a DVI output will do
fine (or a corresponding nVidia, like a 5200).

Note that DVI cables don't usually come with monitors, and are expensive at
retail - you may want to order one from www.newegg.com (or a similar
place) - like other cables, the cost is usually a fraction of what it is if
you buy at retail.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog and
> digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
> like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this monitor's
> digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any suggestions
> for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Edward,

I'll be using this computer a lot for scanning and image editing...but no games, so
I won't need a high-speed card.

Surprisingly, the Samsung 173P monitor comes with both analog and DVI
cables--very thoughtful of them.

Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> Yes, that is correct. If you need good graphics, but don't need high-end
> speed, a low-end card such as a Radeon 9200/9250 with a DVI output will do
> fine (or a corresponding nVidia, like a 5200).
>
> Note that DVI cables don't usually come with monitors, and are expensive at
> retail - you may want to order one from www.newegg.com (or a similar
> place) - like other cables, the cost is usually a fraction of what it is if
> you buy at retail.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog and
> > digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
> > like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this monitor's
> > digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any suggestions
> > for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Scott

Edward,

I'm looking at the Radion 9200 SE, per your suggestion. What does "Integrated
TV-Out support up to 1024x768 resolution" mean exactly? My LCD montor's
native resolution will be 1280 x 1024.

Thanks again!
Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> Yes, that is correct. If you need good graphics, but don't need high-end
> speed, a low-end card such as a Radeon 9200/9250 with a DVI output will do
> fine (or a corresponding nVidia, like a 5200).
>
> Note that DVI cables don't usually come with monitors, and are expensive at
> retail - you may want to order one from www.newegg.com (or a similar
> place) - like other cables, the cost is usually a fraction of what it is if
> you buy at retail.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog and
> > digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
> > like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this monitor's
> > digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any suggestions
> > for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

That means it will support a TELEVISION up to that resolution. Has
nothing to do with the monitor resolution.
--
Steve

> Edward,
>
> I'm looking at the Radion 9200 SE, per your suggestion. What does
"Integrated
> TV-Out support up to 1024x768 resolution" mean exactly? My LCD
montor's
> native resolution will be 1280 x 1024.
>
> Thanks again!
> Scott
>

> "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
>
> > Yes, that is correct. If you need good graphics, but don't need
high-end
> > speed, a low-end card such as a Radeon 9200/9250 with a DVI output
will do
> > fine (or a corresponding nVidia, like a 5200).
> >
> > Note that DVI cables don't usually come with monitors, and are
expensive at
> > retail - you may want to order one from www.newegg.com (or a similar
> > place) - like other cables, the cost is usually a fraction of what
it is if
> > you buy at retail.
> >
> > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm going to be pairing a Samsung 173P lcd monitor (with analog
and
> > > digital output) to an E-3200 with an onboard Rage video card. I'd
> > > like to get a DVI card that will take full advantage of this
monitor's
> > > digital output. TV-out option would be welcome, too. Any
suggestions
> > > for a card to do this? The E-3200 has bne AGP slot.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Scott

Scott

Steve,

Got it...thanks!

Scott

"Steve W." wrote:

> That means it will support a TELEVISION up to that resolution. Has
> nothing to do with the monitor resolution.
> --
> Steve
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Edward,
> >
> > I'm looking at the Radion 9200 SE, per your suggestion. What does
> "Integrated
> > TV-Out support up to 1024x768 resolution" mean exactly? My LCD
> montor's
> > native resolution will be 1280 x 1024.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > Scott
> >

> > "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, that is correct. If you need good graphics, but don't need
> high-end
> > > speed, a low-end card such as a Radeon 9200/9250 with a DVI output
> will do
> > > fine (or a corresponding nVidia, like a 5200).
> > >
> > > Note that DVI cables don't usually come with monitors, and are
> expensive at
> > > retail - you may want to order one from www.newegg.com (or a similar
> > > place) - like other cables, the cost is usually a fraction of what
> it is if
> > > you buy at retail.
> > >
> > > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> and
> monitor's
> suggestions

> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

Scott

Ed,

In looking at the nVidia card, I see it has a TV Out connector, but
it doesn't look like a standard tv cable jack, but rather an "S"
connector, which I believe is a higher-quality connection. Is there
an adapter to plug a simple TV cable into the card?

Thanks!
Scott