Can I upgrade reciever with same speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragmagpuff

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

About 4 months ago I purchased an Onkyo HT-S3400 surround sound system. The past two weeks, the receiver has now become shot. The front panel is failing and now it is slowly losing its ability to play sound constantly. Supposedly, this tends to be a fairly common problem. After about an hour on Onkyo Support line, it was determined that I will have to send it to a authorized repair shop. Both of these repair shops appear to be sketch, and honestly, I don't feel like messing with it. I also can't return it due to Amazon's return policy. I am a engineering college student, and don't have the time, nor the patience, to deal with this. What I will probably do is just try to sell it to someone else who would love to deal with it and get a cheap receiver. Essentially, cut my losses.

I would much rather just purchase a more reliable (and possibly better) receiver, and drop it into the existing system, speakers and all. If I were to do this what features would be important to check to ensure "compatibility". I would hate to blow out a speaker or something due to my lack of checking stuff. What brands are known for their reliability and excellent customer service? Of course, my budget would probably be around the $200 range.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.