Spybot Error Message

When open Spybot Search & Destroy, get error message
"This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix problem".
I click OK to close out error message and after few seconds,
Spybot starts up ok.. Have reinstalled Spybot few times but
still get message and is only application where getting such
message.

Googled for info on "framedyn" and followed MS instructions.
File is in the System32\wbem folder as should be. Using WinXP Pro
with SP2. Google search showed links to reinstall this .dll file, but
unsure if should. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much
appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about spybot error message

    "Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error
    Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Ea0Re.6679$2F1.308875@news20.bellglobal.com,
    Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:
    > When open Spybot Search & Destroy, get error message
    > "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll
    > was not found. Re-installing the application may fix problem".
    > I click OK to close out error message and after few seconds,
    > Spybot starts up ok.. Have reinstalled Spybot few times but
    > still get message and is only application where getting such
    > message.
    >
    > Googled for info on "framedyn" and followed MS instructions.
    > File is in the System32\wbem folder as should be. Using WinXP Pro
    > with SP2. Google search showed links to reinstall this .dll file, but
    > unsure if should. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much
    > appreciated.

    Tx for reply. Is same link went to via Google search and
    followed MS instructions but didn't resolve error message.
    However, will check MS site again to see if missed something.

    > "Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error
    > Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:Ea0Re.6679$2F1.308875@news20.bellglobal.com,
    > Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:
    >> When open Spybot Search & Destroy, get error message
    >> "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll
    >> was not found. Re-installing the application may fix problem".
    >> I click OK to close out error message and after few seconds,
    >> Spybot starts up ok.. Have reinstalled Spybot few times but
    >> still get message and is only application where getting such
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Googled for info on "framedyn" and followed MS instructions.
    >> File is in the System32\wbem folder as should be. Using WinXP Pro
    >> with SP2. Google search showed links to reinstall this .dll file, but
    >> unsure if should. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much
    >> appreciated.

    %systemroot% is an environment variable that is the location of the Windows
    root directory.

    Typing or pasting %systemroot% into the Start | Run box opens to the Windows
    folder on whatever drive it is located. I.e. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

    Make sure that
    %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
    or
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem
    is in the PATH.

    Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    In the prompt window type: path
    Hit enter.

    You should see something like this.

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    or

    PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem

    You may have more listed.

    Replace the framedyn.dll in
    %systemroot%\system32\wbem
    with the one in
    %systemroot%\system32\dllcache

    The framedyn.dll in
    %systemroot%\system32\wbem
    could be damaged.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:125Re.6950$2F1.329013@news20.bellglobal.com,
    Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:
    > Tx for reply. Is same link went to via Google search and
    > followed MS instructions but didn't resolve error message.
    > However, will check MS site again to see if missed something.

    >> "Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found"
    >> Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:Ea0Re.6679$2F1.308875@news20.bellglobal.com,
    >> Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When open Spybot Search & Destroy, get error message
    >>> "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll
    >>> was not found. Re-installing the application may fix problem".
    >>> I click OK to close out error message and after few seconds,
    >>> Spybot starts up ok.. Have reinstalled Spybot few times but
    >>> still get message and is only application where getting such
    >>> message.
    >>>
    >>> Googled for info on "framedyn" and followed MS instructions.
    >>> File is in the System32\wbem folder as should be. Using WinXP Pro
    >>> with SP2. Google search showed links to reinstall this .dll file, but
    >>> unsure if should. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much
    >>> appreciated.

    Tx again for prompt & precise reply. Before seeing
    your 2nd reply, went back to MS link and realized
    hadn't followed the 2nd step to "Verify System Variables".
    The PATH under Environment Variables was different
    than should have been as per MS article and your reply.
    Copied\pasted correct one & no longer getting "framedyn.dll"
    error message.

    My apologies for not being more thorough in following all
    instructions 1st time checked the MS link. Saving your
    reply for future reference. Your assistance much appreciated
    and learned sometime new hadn't encountered before.

    > %systemroot% is an environment variable that is the location of the
    > Windows
    > root directory.
    >
    > Typing or pasting %systemroot% into the Start | Run box opens to the
    > Windows
    > folder on whatever drive it is located. I.e. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.
    >
    > Make sure that
    > %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
    > or
    > C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem
    > is in the PATH.
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    > In the prompt window type: path
    > Hit enter.
    >
    > You should see something like this.
    >
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    >
    > or
    >
    > PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
    >
    > You may have more listed.
    >
    > Replace the framedyn.dll in
    > %systemroot%\system32\wbem
    > with the one in
    > %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
    >
    > The framedyn.dll in
    > %systemroot%\system32\wbem
    > could be damaged.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:125Re.6950$2F1.329013@news20.bellglobal.com,
    > Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:
    >> Tx for reply. Is same link went to via Google search and
    >> followed MS instructions but didn't resolve error message.
    >> However, will check MS site again to see if missed something.

    >>> "Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found"
    >>> Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:Ea0Re.6679$2F1.308875@news20.bellglobal.com,
    >>> Fizzikal <frazzelled@workout.spa> hunted and pecked:

    No apologies are necessary. Glad you got it fixed.

    Never assume and never overlook something. That something is what will be
    the problem. ;-)

    "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,
    whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

    However, when somebody skips a step, for whatever fix, it does make it a
    little tough for whoever is trying to help when they assume that someone has
    already done all of that (whatever) and they are baffled at why whatever fix
    didn't work.

    Keep having fun.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.